“Much better than expected”

Ranked #39 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Very good value for money. Don,t be put off by comments about the less salubrious location. We stayed for 8 nights and always felt very safe. A short walk to 35th Street offered many more choices for eating and supermarket shopping. The conveniece of the subway just round the corner was great. 36th Station is a express stop so travel to Manhattan was quite quick. Don't miss a walk in nearby Greenwood Cemetery. The hotel itself was clean, quiet and very comfortable. We had a back room and quite enjoyed the view. Windows could be opened to let in the fresh air. Breakfast was plentiful and was more than the continental advertised. The breakfast room can be very crowded but you could take your food back to your room if you wished.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room, better view and probably quieter. Ours was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeanetteken

Reviewed September 30, 2011

I am a television producer who works for Discovery Channel. On Tuesday night, September 27th, 2011, myself and my two man crewed checked into this place. As soon as we drove up in our van, the man at the desk (Sunny) came out and rudely told us to move our vehicle. We checked in and immediately found all of our rooms smelled funny.

The rooms are tiny. In the morning, I discovered that our cameraman had found a bed bug in his bed and slept the night in our van. We told the staff we were leaving and checking out to go to another hotel. They immediately said we were booked for three nights and because our company had booked through an on-line service, our money would not be reimbursed. We left anyway. I eventually discovered that I had left my cellphone charger in my room. When I called the next morning and spoke to Sunny, he had no record I had even been there. No charger had been found and he said he would call me if it was found. I received no call so on the Thursday night we stopped by the hotel to see if they had found it. There the man at the desk was very very rude. He was on the phone talking to a friend and could barely summon the energy to deal with me. He told me to come back in the morning. I told him I wanted to go look in the room to see if my charger was there. He refused. I asked to speak to the manager, and he refused again. We began a loud shouting match. He told me that I had left it too long to come back for my charger. Finally, because I caused such a ruckus and refused to leave, he told me to sit down and he would let me see the room once he had dealt with another customer. We checked out the room, did not find the charger. And we continued to argue. He was awful. The worst hotel staff I have ever encountered. Both he and Sunny were surly and unpleasant.

Stay away from this hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: stay away from this place
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Bruce L
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here 4 nights for business purpose (originally we booked 5 nights but we left 1 day earlier coz this hotel is really bad!!). This hotel is far away from the city, near the industry area. The room is small, one of the room our staffs stayed was at the basement (open the window can see the carpark). The staff is impolite coz our staff called to my room but she didn't know my room number. The staff said he was very busy and blame my staff hasn't my room number!! Also, the most terrible thing is the towel is very dirty.

We never stay this hotel again!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sun L
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My friend and I spent 6 nights at the Comfort Inn and had a wonderful time. I was incredibly dubious by my choice of accomodation after reading various reviews but was instantly pleasantly surprised by the hotel! Perfectly clean, very comfortable well sized bathroom and bedroom for 2. Fabulous location for the subway that made it easy to get to wherever we pleased! One massive drawback - whilst packing we discovered a gift bought for a friend had mysteriously disappeared...and it was DEFINATELY in the room. Horribly disappointed and even more so by the unhelpful lady on the desk BUT even that would not deter me from visiting again as it was just too good for value!

Room Tip: A king sized room wouldn't be an extravagant choice and not one facing the street - slight traff...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2011

great value. Clean rooms, decent breakfast, great deal.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jbNutten
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed for 6 nights early September 2011.
Pros - clean daily serviced rooms
Parking
Decent continental breakfast
Close to R/N Line subway station (36th st)
Cons - staff dont speak English too well.
The breakfast room is tiny!
There are no in room safes and no reception safes.
Noise from traffic and air con in nearby buildings.
Overall its not too bad for the $119.00 a night we paid.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 10 days when we wanted to visit New York in far and wide. Move from there to the center is simple because the hotel is located near a subway stop in Brooklyn. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable, with a comfortable kettle for coffee or tea, breakfast was adequate with a good waffles that we could do with a special spray (never seen before and a lot of fun and good!). The only flaws are: the ice machine was right next to our room and every night was very noisy, staff not very friendly, they never greeted or spoken to us, and a nasty surprise on the last day of our stay: the last morning we woke up there, we found a bill under the door:!We had already paid everything by credit card before arriving at the hotel, but the last day they gave us the income taxes that accrue from day to day in the U.S. and are excluded from official prices. We had already spent all and removed the possible from the card (thanks to the super convenient shopping that Europeans can do in New York) and we found ourselves in difficulty. We have solved everything, but not expecting it because nobody had said in the reservation. However, all things considered, we would go again right away, because visit New York at the beginning of autumn is so romantic and lovely!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple