“NOT Wheelchair Friendly”

Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Charlotte, North Carolina
“NOT Wheelchair Friendly”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I chose this hotel based on price. That, I will admit, was good. I've stayed here before and can't believe that I gave them a second chance.

I use a power wheelchair and travel alone, so I expect a hotel room to be fully wheelchair accessible.

Minor inconvenience -- the space between the bed and the furniture is just barely passable, you won't be able to use the desk or reach the window curtains. There is one usable outlet next to the bed for charging your chair (don't use the one built into the lamp), but be aware that its on a switch.

The bathroom is too small. There is not enough room to turn around. You have to back out of the bathroom. A "clothes closet" blocks the bathroom door so it cannot be opened fully. When backing out of the bathroom you must do it at an angle which is a challenge.

In order to bathe, you have to transfer to a plastic shower bench in the tub. There is no handheld shower head.

But the one REALLY big deal -- when you park, you are given a card to put on the dash to show you are a hotel guest. They write your room number on the card, so anyone passing by the handicapped parking space can tell what room you are in. And, to make you feel really safe, the deadbolt on the room doesn't work. I complained about the deadbolt when I was there six months ago. I complained again and they didn't manage to fix the problem while I was there.

This place is pet friendly, but . . . A very large male dog marked the wall just outside the room. It wasn't cleaned in the four days I was there.

Staff is friendly, but I'll be looking for somewhere else to stay on my next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 6Wheels
LQ6328, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Brooklyn Downtown, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review! At La Quinta we are constantly looking for feed back so that we may improve our services.

Reading your comments, it seems you have already stayed at our hotel and should therefore know what to expect. After your first experience, you should have realized that our hotel does not meet your needs. We cannot increase the size of our rooms or bathrooms, and our rooms are actually spacious when comparing to other hotels in our area. Our wheelchair accessible rooms meet all guidelines and regulations, we apologize the room did not meet your needs.

At La Quinta we strive to provide excellent service, competitive rates, and clean comfortable accommodations. We also include complimentary breakfast, wifi, and parking.

Best regards,
Jatin Saraiya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Chose this hotel to stay in while attending an event at the Barclays Center based on the fact we've had very good experiences at other La Quinta properties and it was located near to the event and was moderately priced. We had a king bed room which was expectedly small but amply furnished with a nice bathroom. Breakfast room was small and modestly stocked but still sufficient. So no problems with the room or breakfast area but a few problems or areas which could be improved existed. Parking is very limited so if you aren't one of the lucky few to get a parking space in the rear of the building you will have to park on the street, and open spaces on the street are few and far between. Be warned that street cleaning occurs Thursday mornings and if your vehicle is along the curb between 9 - 10:30 a.m. you will get dinged with a ticket for a substantial fine. We got in around 2 a.m. and even after carefully inspecting the entire block I was parked on I missed the very tiny bent around sign attached very high on one pole showing the street cleaning warning, so I did get ticketed. I suggested to the front desk clerk when checking out that it would be a nice courtesy going forward to inform guests checking in of the Thursday morning street cleaning so they wouldn't get ticketed like I did. Other than that there isn't a whole lot they can do about the parking situation. The one major problem (and I consider it an inexcusable major problem) was that due to a front desk screw-up with our three-day reservation the hotel somehow thought we were supposed to have checked out after one day so when we returned from our Barclays event we found a housekeeping cart outside our door (which still had the Do Not Disturb sign on the handle) and our room keys inactivated. The front desk attendant re-activated the keys and when we got inside our room we found no housekeeper there but the room had been slightly disturbed. None of our personal items were missing but we had to take a bit of time to determine that. The front desk attendant discovered the cause of the problem and fixed it (he was very competent, so complaints about him) and he explained that another clerk had not entered information into their reservation system correctly, or something such as that. I've been torn between giving an "Average" or "Very Good" rating to this facility simply because of this major problem. If this hadn't occurred I would have easily given it "Very Good" but in the end I chose "Average". I would strongly consider staying here again if ever visiting Brooklyn again in the future as the overall experience was very nice (including the neighborhood) and because I doubt something as ridiculous as the reservation screw-up could happen again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IcemanTheSequel
Brooklyn, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have stayed at 3 other Brooklyn hotels when visiting our kids in Park Slope. We were wary about this LaQuinta since our last stay with this chain was not good. What a surprise to see such a nice accommodation and for sure the largest room we had in Brooklyn. The price was reasonable and parking was free. Our only complaint was the poor breakfast but juice, coffee and yogurt surficed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for my first NYC visit with a friend. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The price is a good value considering how expensive NYC hotels can be. Checking in was a breeze. The room and bathroom were clean. Everyone at the front desk was friendly and helpful. It was nice coming back to a clean hotel and room after spending the day walking around in sometimes not so clean city. It's easy to catch a subway into the city to see and do attractions. I would consider this hotel again in the future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelingCess
Reviewed April 2, 2014

very pleased with the staff and the cleanliness of hotel. the breakfast was very nice and the area the hotel is at is very close to a lot of things as far as convenient stores, restaurant, subways,bars

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The rooms are extremely small and claustrophobic. We tried three different rooms, and they were all extremely small for our party of three. We had a difficult time maneuvering around one another while in the room. Our luggage was on the floor, which made it even more difficult to move around. The desk chair kept getting stuck under the desk and every time we tried to pull it out, we almost knocked over the lightweight desk. The internet was intermittent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank floridamamma

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is a great location to stay at for business. 5 minute walk to F/G train to get into city for business meetings. I prefer to stay in Brooklyn / Park Slope area for costs. Have stayed here over 10 times but has gone downhill over last year. Breakfast ran out one day at 7:30am and no shampoo in room. So be prepared for that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business