“Nice 3 day stay”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Brooklyn Downtown
Ranked #33 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel definitely did the trick for a little 3 day getaway to the city. The price could not be beat. The location was great- just a few blocks from the subway. My husband and I enjoyed staying in Brooklyn, as we've previously always stayed in Manhattan. I have no major complaints about the experience. It's not as fancy as other more expensive places, so if that's what you're looking for, you will be disappointed. But I would definitely recommend this for people (like me) who aren't going to be spending a great deal of time in the hotel and need a comfy place to sleep after a long day in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica K

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I agree with most of the reviewers: The room was clean, with a comfortable bed, and the staff was pleasant. The location is good - decent neighborhood, with more than a few eating and drinking establishments within a 10 minute walk, from breakfast diners to upscale dining.

It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the subway station. Depending on where in Manhattan you're going, and at a busy time of day, it can be a long ride. I didn't check out cab fares into Manhattan from this property. The $2.75 subway fare was much cheaper, in any case.

The room was small, but that's typical for NYC. I've stayed in smaller places there with a higher rate, so the price was excellent.

We were very lucky to grab one of the last two spots - at 3:00 in the afternoon upon checking in. This was free, and was a great deal, but I think the website makes too much of the free parking, when the number of rooms exceeds the number of available free spots by four times, I'm guessing. On-street parking didn't look to be a big problem, though.

The only reason I didn't go out to 5 stars was because we had one of the "first floor" rooms, which is actually partially subgrade. Although the AC worked OK, it was still very stuffy and we couldn't wait to go outside for fresh air, even when it was cold.

But all in all, we will book here again.

Room Tip: Try not to take rooms on the first floor. You'll be partially underground.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shortysnh
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed four nights at this Inn. I really did not expect it to meet the usual standards I anticipatet at this brand's inns.It was a pleasant surprise. Rooms are considerably smaller than I am used to, but, face it, it is NY. The whole place was very clean.
I had expected an old building, which it may have been, but it was nicely done with current decor. We had two dogs with us, and they do not charge extra for pets. There is some parking for first come first serve, which we were lucky to access, as many hotels there do not include parking, and that can be very expensive. There is no place special to walk your dogs, so just take your bags and do as the natives do, sidewalks. The neighborhood seemed good and I did not feel intimidated taking dogs out at night. Cost much higher than I usually expect, but seemed in line with the local competitors.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sue1426
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The rooms are small, but clean and adequate. Staff was friendly and helpful. Parking is a huge bonus since it's very difficult to find parking in New York. The location was great for us since it was near family. It's also near the subway.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed four nights at the La Quinta in Brooklyn. Family lives in Park Slope area, so it was walking distance to their home.
Pluses: very clean, comfortable bed, close to subway station, staff willing to help, felt safe walking at night ( around 10).
Minuses: very small room ( so what else is new in NYC.), breakfast is very limited and not always replenished, very cheap towels, limited TV stations.

Ran into two problems. Mini refrigerator smelled like something died in it. They replaced it the next day. The heavy rain leaked into our room causing the carpeting to be wet the entire stay. Every time I walk by the window, my socks got wet. (Room 512).

We would stay here again. The price was right and for our needs it served it's purpose. One suggestion. We reserved for 3 people, since our daughter was coming up from D.C. She ended up staying with our family as there was NO way you could fit 3 people in this room without all three sleeping in king bed.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
A La Quinta traveler
Albany, New York, USA
Reviewed November 26, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had taken over a decade sabbatical from staying at LaQuintas after one bad experience and never questioned why I didn't go back. When I had a retreat in NYC and was told we HAD to stay in Brooklyn due to the marathon, I couldn't find any of my normal hotel preferences. I thought, "If I'm not going to get what I want, I might as well go super cheap" and booked the LaQuinta.

This location restored my confidence in the brand. The room was perfect. The linens, bed, carpet, granite bathroom, HVAC, everything was perfect. Sure the room was small, but it's New York. I don't expect 500 sq ft.

The lobby and breakfast area was flawless. The big deal sealer was when I had to leave my bags at the front desk due to my room not being ready. I was a nervous wreck. Everything was in tact and cared for when I returned late at night.

The staff is friendly, the location is convenient. Way to go LaQ people. Thanks to this, I booked my Thanksgiving trip at a local LaQuinta.

Room Tip: I loved the 2nd floor. While you can see the front door from there, who cares? It was super conven...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business