“Great Affordable Place”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Brooklyn Downtown
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I recently stayed here on a trip to Manhattan. After looking at the costly rooms in Manhattan I was excited to find this reasonable hotel. The rooms are modern, spacious, and really clean. Cleanliness is the most important thing to me. The staff were friendly and helpful and the subway was really close by. It took me about 20 minutes to get to lower Manhattan. You get more than what you pay for and I will definitely stay here again! I recommend this place to travelers who want to visit this city and have a clean night stay without breaking their budget.

2  Thank Taffy M

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We chose to stay in Brooklyn to save more money for the adventures and shopping. La Quinta Inn was very close to the subway. We usually walked around and ate in Park Slope which is a beautiful neighborhood full of charm. It was pretty peaceful. Of course the rooms are small because you're in NY! But I wouldn't say that it was cramped. Now the bathroom could use some work. I notice that dry wall was exposed in room 313. I think they started to patch something up and didn't finish it. The night time front desk clerk was on his cellphone and I actually had to stand there and wait for him to finish his conversation before he helped me. We never ate breakfast there and that was fine. We liked finding little diners to eat in. I went to ask for some of the things they said they had complimentary and apparently they didn't have it. That annoyed me, but it wasn't enough to make me mad.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank Trice719
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was headed to NYC for a work trip, and my budget had to be under $120 per night. You can't touch a decent hotel in a good area in Manhattan for that, even on Priceline - trust me, I tried every way I possibly could for over two weeks to nail something in Manhattan - and it couldn't be done.
SO I expanded my areas that I would consider on priceline, inched up my price by expanding the areas. Finally, I was given the La Quinta Inn Brooklyn Downtown for under my budget of $120 a night.
I was relieved when I saw the photos of the hotel, the location, and the fact that free parking was available. OF NOTE is something that wasn't on the website - LIMITED free parking is available. If you aren't lucky enough to get a spot in the rear lot, you're pretty much out of luck as there aren't any garages or other lots around the hotel. There is some on street parking, but it is limited as well. SO, arrive early - and don't move your car if you get a space in the lot!
Reception was warm, but not overly so.
The property is actually very nice, once again, with a note - they REALLY need to spend more time cleaning the property - from rooms to public spaces. The lobby area is nice, not exceptionally spacious, but nice and bright.
The rooms aren't particularly large - but they are well furnished, reasonably clean, and well laid out.
The room I was in needs a couple hours of top to bottom cleaning. It was evident that someone had tried to clean the door with a really dirty rag as there were streaks and stains all over the inside of the door - when the light hit it just right it was kind of gross.

The white bed linens were extremely fresh and clean - I was impressed with that. The mattress was in an allergen-proof case which also is an extra layer of protection against bed bugs - good for them in being proactive. I checked the mattress... inside the case, and it wasn't a cover for previous bed bug infestation. The mattress was nice and clean with no stains.

The carpet was a little stained around the door area - and there was a lot of dust behind the nightstands and other furniture.

My biggest complaint would be the volume of the elevator! WOW that thing sounds like a subway train running through the building. SO loud!

The hotel has experienced a major renovation in the last few years OR has was just built a few years ago - I'm not sure which. I think it was renovated though.
Either way, the work was far from perfect. Rough edges abound in the detail of the work, and overall is just makes the property feel cheap.

This was my first stay with any La Quinta Inn - so I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. While I wasn't disappointed, I wasn't too impressed either.

The property wasn't bad, and it was actually pretty clean (at least on the surface).

Would I stay here again? Yeah, probably - if I could get it for under $120 a night. Would I recommend it for someone else? Yeah, depending on what their expectations are.

Overall, it isn't a bad property. It wasn't impressive - but for the price the location was convenient - the neighborhood wasn't bad, and there are restaurants and convenience stores and small corner grocery stores around. The subway is only a few blocks away - very easy access.

Advice to the property: invest in a few more hours a week in terms of housekeeping to whip the property back into shape before the property begins to look shabby and run down- an additional 5 hours a week for a month could easily bring the property back up to a level of cleanliness that really would impress and bring the property up to a very good, or excellent rating. Invest now to save a lot of money later - and really have a property to be proud of!

Room Tip: 2nd floor and 3rd floor rooms are very easy to access - 2nd floor is right off the lobby, and 3rd fl...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank admit_it
LQ6328, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Brooklyn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review! We have taken all your points good and bad into consideration.

At La Quinta we strive to make each guest's experience a memorable one. We work hard to keep the property well maintained as cleanliness is our top priority. It was newly built and opened in Feb. 2011. There are some areas that could have been built better, and we are continually making improvements. We invite you to come back and tell us how we have done.

There is a parking garage just two blocks away. As you mentioned, we have free but limited parking.

For low prices, clean comfortable rooms, free wifi, free breakfast and free parking book La Quinta Inn in Brooklyn.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Given some of these absurd reviews, I was expecting a dump in the middle of Beirut. Some of you people really need to get a grip. Judging a motel on the basis of their FREE breakfast is plain stupid. The La Quinta Brooklyn was just fine, if not quite good, for the cost.

We had to stay here because the Club Quarters in the Financial District lost our reservatioon and there was no other hotels available. However, this motel was more than adequate for the night.

The location is about two blocks from the subway (the R line will take you into Manahattan) and while its a weird location in that it's commercial warehouses mixed with residential, its completely safe. If you have lived in urban cities, you're not going to be uptight about it. The one downside to the location is the lack of roaming taxis. We had to walk a few blocks on 4th Ave to flag one down.

The hotel lobby was clean and checkin/checkout was a breeze. Rooms are small but that's expected in NY. We had a very comfortable king size bed with a desk. The bathroom was literally a wash closet. The doors are closet doors but it opened into a clean, suitable bathroom. The water pressure in the shower was sub-par but at least the hot water was plentiful. There was an ironing board, iron, small closet, drawers to put items in, tiny fridge, coffee maker and hairdryer. Plenty of power plugs. The A/C unit looks to be new and was great. We didn't hear any outside or other noise in our evening there but we also had the A/C on the entire time.

Best of all, free (and good) WiFi AND free parking!

We were happy to rest our heads here for the night and I would definitely come back in the future. It gave me a chance to check Brooklyn out and it was a great place to visit (eat at Diner if you do go).

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LilMissTraveler

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate your feed back, and couldn't agree more!

We look forward to providing you with exceptional service in the future. La Quinta continuously strives to create positive guest experiences. We stand by our commitment to serving our guests to our best ability, and when we get reviews such as yours it makes all our hard work worth it!

We will see you soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel with my family in a double room. At first impression the hotel looks good, but then when you come and stay in their rooms is another story. The first room assigned to us had some damages, dents behind the door with the door handle, broken switch on lamp, missing light bulbs, etc. Then we changed rooms to the top floor where we needed more towels, response they ran out of face towels, couldn't get clean towels on the third day stay. We called the desk, no response for the towels, had to go downstairs to let them know that we still needed clean towels.....Rooms are very small and not to comfortable inside, not to say that their Sunnyside breakfast was not so sunny, very tight space...too many tables in small area couldn't walk in between to sit down. Not enough food served...you name it....I think it is overprice and the service is not worth the price....The reason I am still here is because of the convinience to the subway and the area is accesible...other than that I will not come here and stay at this particular hotel....I am very dissapointed at this hotel...I have stay at other La Quinta and this one is by far the worst one.

Room Tip: Stay at the top floor.
1  Thank Tely E
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Overall, I think this hotel was great. It was convenient for our family. We had a long drive and when we arrived, we were able to get a safe free parking space, and check in early. It is an older hotel so the carpets are a bit worn. It was clean and the room size was adequate . It was only four blocks from the subway, and in a neighborhood where I felt safe walking with my young children. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The only drawback to this hotel is its breakfast. It is not abundant compared with other hotels where I have had free breakfast. However, I cannot compare it with other hotels in the immediate area, so it may be similar. It certainly had all the usual stuff, just nothing special. I would not let it be my determining factor. If you get up early enough, you will likely get food. Fortunately I too, had read reviews, so I knew what to expect. I would say that for the convenience of free parking, safe and close to the subway, and clean rooms, it is definitely a good value.( We were also able to leave our bags after we checked out for no charge--thank you La Quinta!) I will likely stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I live in NYC and had to attend an event in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I chose to stay at the La Quinta Inn Brooklyn because it was close to the event and also close to the subway. I’ve traveled a lot but usually don’t write many reviews. My stay was very pleasant and thought I’d share my experience here.

Pros:

Convenient to the subway and to Manhattan.

Location in Park Slope, Brooklyn!

Really friendly staff at the front desk who were very helpful in providing local information. I had to leave a bag at the front desk after check-out and they were very helpful and accommodating.

Free parking (which is an amazing deal for a hotel in NYC!)

Free wifi! I’ve stayed at much more expensive hotels and hate having to pay for wifi on top of expensive room rates!

Free breakfast which included milk, coffee, waffles, cereals, fresh fruit, eggs! (again, a really, really good deal for a hotel in NYC! I’ve stayed at much more expensive hotels and didn’t even get free bread!)

Clean, comfortable rooms. These are compact rooms but I”ve stayed in hotels in Manhattan and paid a lot more for what felt like a closet! Much bigger than your typical hotel rooms in Europe!

Cons:

The area is in the process of gentrification and rapid improvement from an edgy neighborhood with warehouses to a hip, cool place. Right now it seems to have a mix of car repair shops mixed in with interesting bars, coffeeshops and stores opening up. But it does look like a really cool neighborhood in the making.

Free parking is limited and seems to be first come, first served.

Summary:
Great stay with super friendly staff, in the cool NYC neighborhood of Park Slope, Brooklyn. Would definitely come back! I've already made plans to stay here for another work event at the end of the month! You get a lot more than what you pay for, specially for NYC!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank nywrldtraveler
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review! We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at the La Quinta Inn in Brooklyn.

You are 100% correct about our neighborhood. There are many really cool restaurants, coffee shoppes, etc. right in our area. There is a Whole Foods Market that is coming soon and is within walking distance from our hotel. It's a fun, hip area that is undergoing some big improvements, especially with the Atlantic Yards opening in September 2012, which is also very close to our hotel.

La Quinta continuously strives to exceed your expectations, and we stand by our commitment to serving our guests to our best ability. When we receive great reviews such as yours, it makes it all worth it.

We look forward to providing you with exceptional service in the future. See you soon!