“Lunch with Dad”

Ferdinando's Focacceria
Ranked #201 of 6,713 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

This place claims to be a Sicilian eatery with authentic Sicilian cuisine. The place is very small with original 1930s feel and look. It is very clean and I love the nostalgia about it. I was able to find street parking. It's the same food that I grew up with and have known such as Panelle, pasta con sarde, arancini, potato croquettes, fried calamari but lacks some of the other authentic Sicilian cuisine. If they would have served Stigghiola I would have died. You need to be Sicilian to know what that is. The place was getting busy on a Saturday afternoon. The food was indeed delicious and done perfectly. The fried calamari was so tender and lightly floured which was delicious. The panelle was made as expected. Unfortunately my only negative comment was with one of the waitresses who had a bit of an attitude. I wish I had the other waitress who was so much nicer. I don't mind the Brooklyn attitude but not towards a customer or how food should be prepared. Anyway if you're in the area stop in and have a snack or meal and you won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed February 25, 2017

I heard about this restaurant on Channel 25 (the local municipal channel). Great choice! Authentic old school atmosphere and genuinely friendly wait staff. I had the panelle sandwich (chick pea pancake) and my wife had the rice ball. The rice ball stood out because it was nice and soft. They have a full Sicilian menu which includes:
*antipasto
*artichoke
*pasta with sardines
*spleen
and the prices are amazing. If they were closer, I'd be there more often.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed December 23, 2016

We had heard a lot about this place, so we went on a Wednesday afternoon at 4 PM. A small restaurant that you knew had been around from 1904. But, it had a warm and cozy feeling. Only one other couple was there. We were warmly greeted and seated. Warm bread was brought out.

Seeing the menu in advance, we knew what we wanted. My wife order the pasta with sardines, while I ordered the eggplant with pasta.

My wife said her dish was okay. It was served a la carte. She wished there were more sardines. A small salad came with my order. Nothing fancy or distinctive. My eggplant was fried and served in small circular pieces with some cheese sprinkled on top, served with a side of pasta.

The eggplant was delicious. The red sauce had a different flavor from most. Maybe because it's prepared in a Sicilian style? The sauce was tasty, so I was very pleased with my dish.

We passed on dessert, so we paid and left, feeling full. We walked out happy with the service, the value, and the quality of the food.

However, about an hour later, we both started feeling very thirsty, a sure indication that too much salt had been used to prepare our dishes. This uncomfortable and thirsty feeling lasted several hours - way too long.

We really looked forward to our dinner here. Maybe it was an off day.

But, the thirsty feeling that lasted for hours afterwards knocks down my rating from very good to average.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed December 17, 2016

I've gone here for many, many years. Unfortunately, the standards have slipped.
Panelle were greasy and had been fried in burnt tasting oil. A rice ball was drowned in sauce and cheese. Caponata was stale.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed October 27, 2016

We saw this restaurant on an episode of Bizarre foods where Andrew Zimmern had the famous spleen sandwich. We came all the way from eastern queens to eat here and were not disappointed!
Authentic old school atmosphere and genuinely friendly wait staff and owner! We ordered the rice ball special, the stuffed artichoke, and spleen sandwich for lunch. First time for spleen and the ricotta cheese was perfect on it. Rice ball was perfect in every way, artichoke was garlicky but amazing. We ended with a homemade cannoli which was literally the best I ever had. Plenty of filling which was sooooo good. We will definitely be back for dinner and to try some of the other great looking pastas and dishes! Also prices were very reasonable which also makes the dining more enjoyable :)

Date of visit: October 2016