“Nonna-- are you in that kitchen?”

Ferdinando's Focacceria
Ranked #342 of 5,362 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Brooklyn, New York
“Nonna-- are you in that kitchen?”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Just like grandma makes --if she's Sicilian. My husband won't eat vestdas anywhere else. Clam sauce is a garlic lovers dream. You'll feel like you're in Sicily in 1920 or Red Hook in the 60's without the rubouts.

Austin, Texas
“Speechless”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was transported back to my childhood, when my papi would cook. This place came highly recommended by an old friend from High School '81. Since i just moved to Brooklyn he prompted me to go here by saying, "I figure out how to stop here on my way back home in Long Island every chance i get". That’s because it’s literally a few feet from the BQE Union street overpass; And a BIG taste of Home.
We ate there yesterday. First thing it’s dark in there (mood lighting). You feel like you are transported back into the 1900's! It’s awesome. The servers (woman) are very attentive. It’s a small long narrow restaurant. The food, ok you do need to have the "Panelle Special", it’s a chickpea sandwich, with sauce, cheese on a fresh warm roll. its not a meal, but its close. I will have the rice ball special next time, which is also what they are known for. My partner had the sausage sandwich, and it was exceptional. I wouldn’t recommend the braciole, but it was still good. Oh and those potato croquettes, excellent! I also had a glass of the house red, perfect!
CASH ONLY. If you get caught with only a card, there's a Laundromat across the street with an atm.
It’s what dining used to be and should still. Im looking forward to going back.

• Visited December 2011
ny
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best spot in brooklyn”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Food is amazing. I have been goin for years and so have my friends. Never had a bad experiance. I even seen a couple of celebs there.

• Visited December 2010