“One of my Favorite Spots”
Review of Canaille Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Canaille Bistro
Cuisines: French
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The first time we went to Canaille, Phillipe (the owner) and I didn't get along... upon a second visit (because the food was so good the first time) we all found we had so much to chatter about that Canaille quickly became a favorite, cozy, spot to visit for us!
Phillipe deeply loves good food, good wine and a happy atmosphere. As @BeeJay45 says, this spot is a "Local" - a homey, delicious respite from NYC streets. We went constantly when we lived a block away, but now we even travel from Northern Manhattan to get there to see Phillipe and Marie!
Because of the Atlantic Center opening and changes in the neighborhood, Canaille Bistro is now officially "Canaille Wine Bar" - small plates and wine.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I really, really wanted to like this place as my daughter raved about having dinner there. My girlfriend and I went for Sunday brunch and were looking forward to what was suppose to be a great meal. Terribly disappointing. While waiting for our food it seemed the man and woman serving tables (who turned out to be the owners) seem to be grumbling amongst each other. We ordered the croque and also the hanger steak and eggs. The croque’s bread and ham were so hard you couldn’t cut it with a knife. My hanger steak (which I question was even that cut of meat) was small stew size pieces instead of a steak. It was tough. When we told the female owner she said she thought the “steak” was fine, that toast is suppose to be hard, but would comp the meal and suggested we eat at Miriams across the street. I really have to thank her because we had a great meal and friendly service there. It is transparent that these two characters really don’t like each other and it translates into the food and ruins the ambience of what could be an adorable place.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

The food is good but the owner is so annoying that I seldom eat here. Also he is sneaky in pretending to be friendly and will pour wine as if it is on the housse and then charge you for it.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

We have a good friend from Paris who taught about "locals" and we've loved them ever since. Places where the food is real good and dependable, where the owners care about the people who come in and you always feel welcome. That's just what Canaille is. Prices are moderate, good wine list and always tasty specials. The owners are very warm and engaging, they made us feel very welcome and at home the very first visit. If your having a great experience this kind of place is cozy, if not it's cramped. The food is french as is one of the owners but not in any orthodox way. Hard to make a mistake picking from the menu. Great for after the movie or show, it's local for us but I'd travel to come.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Ok, to be fair, let me start with the pros:
A nice small french bistro with good food (though not exceptional) and a pleasant atmosphere. The menu is somewhat limited but provides enough choice for everybody's taste. I also liked the french music. So, it could have been a great dinner despite the fact that it took an hour to get our appetizers.

While we were patiently waiting for them to come, the owner / waiter / whatever-is-the-guy-running-the-place started swearing after getting into argument with clients on another table. So, if you are taking the kids there, better not mind them hearing words like [--], etc. After getting our starters and eating one of them and half of the other, we asked whether the main course would be coming soon. At that point the guy got frustrated with us as well... <skipping the details>. Given that I was at my best behavior, my rudest thing was "sir, mind your language", whereas the guy used his earlier vocabulary.

At first I thought that this was the owner who had to substitute a waiter calling sick or something and just having a bad day, but looking at other reviews online, this kind of service is not uncommon for the restaurant.

Overall, if you looking for decent french food in a small bistro in park slope and don't mind experiencing the worst service ever, the place is a good pick.

p.s. I've been to Paris a couple of times and I know what it is a great small owner-run restaurant

1  Thank Kristoph10