“Best Fish Ever”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Brooklyn, New York
“Best Fish Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

This cozy and casual restaurant, in Brooklyn, is one of the best Fish dishes ever.
Is all about the Provencale fish experience, with delicious seafood, whole grilled branzino fish, cioppino with an amazing suculent wine broth to lick your fingers.
And much more divine dishes.
Try the famous fried oysters with the spicy mustard dash on the side.
Best of all, is that you bring your wine!
Friendly staff and when the owner, Neil Ganic, is in the kitchen, you are in for a culinary experience.
I highly recomend this spot!
And when you are done dining, check out the corner bar Flying Lobster, with great atmosphere, serving great wine and beer.
And saturday nite they have live jazz band!

New York City, New York
“One of the best deals in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Why? Besides the excellent food, BYOB! It's easy to overlook just how much a decent bottle of wine purchased at restaurant prices can empty your wallet. I'm particular about my wines so I have my own small "cellar". Being able to bring a bottle or two to a restaurant can save me fifty bucks or more off the tab.

I've been to Petite several times and will endorse all the positive comments here about its usual fare. I've got nothing to add to it. However last week, the hostess said they had swordfish steak as a special. That was my all-time favorite food as a kid so I had to order it. Together with fried oysters, it describes at least five of my childhood birthday dinners. Along with our bottle of La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi 2006, I was in heaven. Alas, no German chocolate cake at Petite though, but I would have needed 62 candles anyway.

I've been dining in chef Neil Ganic's restaurants since 1993 and the original La Bouillabaisse on Atlantic Avenue. I've eaten at least 50 meals in his various establishments and he has never used anything other than fresh seafood delivered that day, including live lobsters. That's one of the reasons why Petite keeps bringing me back. Six large (they aren't small at all) oysters for $12 is a steal in this part of Brooklyn too.

NYC
“Birthday girl made the right choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We would recommend this restaurant and will definitely return. Went early saturday and made our selections then relaxed with our wine, bread and dip. Totally enjoyed my corn and crab chowder then the scallops entree. Because the restaurant filled up soon after, we waited a bit ...no prob. as the wait staff and Neil came and advised us. Other 3 cleared their plates then coffee and fruit tart. We were not rushed as more customers arrived. Neil came by to advise of live jazz in the other part of the bldg. and glasses of wine (on him). The band was very youthful and kept our feet tapping.
Will definitely return to try other items on the menu.

New York City, New York
“Over Priced and Below Expectations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

The fried oysters were good but over priced for 6 small ones for $12. Tuna carpaccio was ok but again over priced $12. The Cioppino was not fresh, small, over cooked, the lobster has a taste of preservatives which I never tasted before and it costed $25 which left me very disappointed. I did say anything to the owner Neil because I will never go back again. I went there because the high ratings, but really below my expectation. It's also cash only for a meal that's not cheap.

• Visited November 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Five Stars in Red Hook”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

To get fresher fish than served at le Petite Crevette, you need a fishing boat and scuba gear. Sometimes it seems they must have just lowered the nets outside the front door. But on any early afternoon you can hear Neil Ganic, the crusty chef-owner, who is the beating heart and soul of the operation, haggling with his providers to get only the most recent catches. Try the whole porgy, a fish of humble name, prepared and served up perfectly; or the stunningly fresh mussels, or maybe the bouillabaisse on which the chef has built his multidecade reputation. Go for lunch. The evening dining room and adjacent wine bar are fun enough, but the five tables of the little mid-day space combined with the full attention, personalized cooking and hysterical, salty story telling by Neil give new meaning to the phrase “dining experience.” It is BYOB and cash only, but there is a nearby ATM and a fine little wine shop across the street. The official address is Union Street, but the red, white and blue lunchtime door is actually a few yards down on Hicks Street. People either “get it” or don’t, but the quirky, almost nondescript décor and ambiance of Petite Crevette is the endearing creation of a man, who seems to have found his perfect niche in life where we can all let go and just enjoy.

• Visited June 2013