“Convenient, quiet and perfect”
Review of Inn on Second

Inn on Second
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Inn on Second
Ranked #6 of 56 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My husband and I spent four nights in the Inn on Second with Fran and Joe and had a wonderful time. It is very conveniently located one block from the F train that goes directly to Rockefeller Plaza. It does have a shared bathroom, but we never saw our "bathmate". Everything was clean and cozy. Lots of good local eating places. We highly recommend and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had the front room and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 9, 2011

What a great find! My wife and I stayed here 3 nights this November and really enjoyed it. First off, you need to be aware that this inn has a shared bathroom. However, it is only shared between 2 rooms, so it is rarely an issue.

We flew in to Newark and expected our journey to get to the Inn to take ~2 hours, but we were there in an hour. The Inn is only a 2 minute walk from the Carroll St subway stop on the F/G line and it is only a short 10 minute subway ride to Manhattan.

There are many nice restaurants, bakeries, bars, and markets nearby (mostly concentrated on Smith and Court Street) within walking distance. The neighborhood is very safe, quiet and family oriented. I have stayed in Manhattan in the past, but never again. Staying here is not only more affordable, but much more peaceful.

But I have saved the best for last....the owners. Fran and Joe are lovely people and very friendly and helpful. They were always willing to help make recommendations and each room of theirs is stocked with guidebooks and maps.

I really can't imagine finding a better place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WesNileVirus
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We loved our stay here! Cozy, clean and convenient to the Subway. Within walking distance to several restaurants. Neighborhood felt safe to be in. Hospitable hosts. Comfy bed. Teeny tiny bathroom but adorable and well stocked with anything you may have forgottten. Will definitely come back and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Either one is good!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank YAYcamping
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Warm and cozy. Great neighborhood. Easy to get to. Our hosts were friendly, informative and great NYC / Brooklyn ambassadors.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ridesfar
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We really enjoyed staying at the Inn. Fran and Joe are lovely and easy going and we would definitely recommend it!

The room
Really cute room upstairs in the family home. But you don't feel like you are invading anyone's space at all as they have a self contained apartment downstairs and leave you to do your own thing and they give you a key. There is a computer (very slow internet connection but didn't really want to be on a computer anyway!), fridge with complimentary juices, milk, also a coffee machine. AC and a fan to help with the sweltering NY heat. No food is provided but there are plenty of places to grab breakfast nearby or buy your own cereal as there are bowls and cups provided. Nice clean towels and a immaculately clean bathroom with shower. Small but does the job. It wasn't a problem sharing the bathroom and we barely saw the other guests let alone have any awkwardness about sharing the bathroom. We stayed 3 nights it was a comfortable bed and quiet family neighborhood - we slept very well.

The area
Carroll Gardens is such a lovely area, lots of restaurants, cafes on Smith Street in particular and has a really good vibe to it and a bit of a breather from the craziness of Manhattan but there is also a night life albeit more mellow. Its very easy to get to Manhattan - only a few stops on the F train. and probably a fraction of the cost of an impersonal hotel - but that's just my preference as I don't like hotels. About a 30 minute walk to the iconic Brooklyn Bridge - always nice to take a break from the subway. My second time to the neighborhood and will always go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gingting
Reviewed July 7, 2011

The 5 best things about this place for me: great location in Carroll Gardens, A/C that works, quiet street, the host, and the most important is was CLEAN! You will not be disappointed even sharing the bathroom (which we did not since there were no other guests that night) would have not been a problem because it was the most beautiful bathroom I have ever seen in NY. Small but well stocked and perfectly clean.

Room Tip: The subway was only 1 block away and there is parking on the street. One flight upstairs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jewelArizona
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We needed a place to stay overnight as I was in town for the Bike NYC 5-Boro ride. The wife was travelling with me but becasue of access ride restrictions, she could not be at the ride with me. All went well due in large part to the beautiful neighborhood of the Inn on Second. It's in the Carroll Gardens part of Brooklyn and it is very nice. I felt entirely comfortable leaving my car parked on the street all day and such was needed because on the day of the ride the wife didn't even move the car. In the AM she was able to walk to a great local restaurant for really good brunch (I was crazy envious!) and afterwards she planned to stroll the local shops but as it turns out there was a street festival going on which -in addition to the local shops- made her "occupied" for the entire day! After I got in from the ride, I joined her and had a great time. If such is not your desire, the subway is right at the top of the block (which you wouldn't even notice if you didn't know it was there) and the neighborhood is very accessible by car to the highways and byways of NYC, (we caught a show downtown and had dinner in Harlem the night before with easy navigation, well easy for NYC)...oh yeah, the room was VERY comfortable with a mini-fridge (stocked with water, soda, milk), a coffee-maker and ample drawer and closet space. We had plenty of sunshine and it was nicely ventilated with just the windows alone (but a fan, portable heater and window AC unit was right in the closet of our room!). Saturday after dinner, the wife was up crazy late reading some of the interesting books in the room...the is also a PC in the room , but it was slow and didn't work too good (I needed to print some tix for our show that I left home, and the owner, Joe, graciously allowed me the use his computer -we left our own notebook at home becaues of the PC in the room, but if needed, you may want to bring your own -not sure about wifi). Access to power for our chargers (phone, ipod) was easy. The supply of towels was ample with an abundant supply of personal care products on hand (a nice and different touch for a B&B). The bathroom was little tight however, but bright and very "new" looking.

All in all, highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple