“Like living in New York” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lefferts Manor Bed & Breakfast

Lefferts Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 55 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Like living in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

First off, this review is about the accommodation in Clermont, not the B&B. Clermont is its own property, practically a studio apartment, on Clermont St. near Fort Greene.

The unit itself is lovely. It's tastefully and thoughtfully decorated to make the guests feel welcome, not a bland generic shell of a unit to house warm bodies. The door opens to a spacious bedroom, which has a comfortable bed for two, a cushy armchair and footstool, a small TV, and a faux fireplace with a mantel and mirror on top. The decor is of vintage style, I would say. The hallway that leads to the kitchen is where the closet and wall-mounted coat rack are, and the kitchen is huge, with all the necessary tools, appliances, and utensils for those who wish to cook and dine en suite. The bathroom at the end of the kitchen is small but does its job well. Between the kitchen and the bathroom is a door that leads to a patio. I wasn't expecting this, so it was a totally lovely surprise to open the door to a modest lawn blanketed in snow.

Because Clermont is a distance away from where the B&B and the owners/managers are, there is no breakfast and regular housekeeping (you have to call for maid service). But everything you need is in the property, including spare towels, blankets, and pillows.

The location is perfect(ish). To be honest, I chose to stay in Brooklyn only because our stay in New York coincided with the Super Bowl weekend, when rates in Manhattan were just crazy. It turned out to be a great idea--especially if your New York itinerary includes Brooklyn. And why wouldn't it? Brooklyn is awesome, with plenty of character, off-the-tourist-trail attractions, and hands-down the best pizzas in New York. The Clermont neighborhood is also fantastic. Literally across the street is a deli grocery, and on the same block to the left and right of Clermont St. are restaurants to keep you nourished (there's a bagel shop that also has Middle Eastern fare to-go), as well as a convenience store that sells MetroCard unlimited passes. The "perfect(ish)" part of my description refers to the subway stations around the property. The closest one is for the G line, which doesn't run to Manhattan, and the stations for trains that do are a littler farther to walk to. But it's all good, because you're walking in a lovely, quiet neighborhood.

All in all, I enjoyed the experience of living in New York that Lefferts' Clermont property afforded us. Forget AirB&B if you're looking for similar accommodation in Brooklyn. I checked, and the prices for comparable properties are higher. This is the real deal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank edmarchNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
Mexico city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Excellent service! The rooms are really clean, with a great location near Manhattan!, the bathrooms are also clean! I didn't have problems during my stance, the subway it's really close, and the neighborhood it's pretty calm, I'd recommend it to all!

• Stayed December 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I've stayed here multiple times and have fallen in love with the house. Looking forward to my next stay. You can't ask for a better way to experience all that New York has to offer, on a budget. Incredibly easy to get to Manhattan.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'm in love. I stayed at Leffert's for the NYC runs brrrroklyn half marathon on 1/25. The location to prospect park is unbelievable. My room was small but comfortable - perfect for my trip. Down-feeling comforter on the bed, soft pillows... I was out like a light when I hit the bed. They provided trader joe's bath products in the bathroom! Though there is 1 shared bathroom per floor, I didn't have any waiting to use it or anyone else's messes to deal with. Very clean. Mark was very very accommodating. Can't wait for my next race in Brooklyn so I can stay here again. Highly recommend!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Bowling Green, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before, so I was a bit skeptical especially in terms of privacy. However, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I enjoyed the peace and quiet which gave me opportunity to rest after a long journey and prepare for a long day ahead. Definitely lots of coffee and tea to drink downstairs. Connie was especially helpful with directions and Mark is such a great person and interesting to talk with.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I made a last minute reservation at Lefferts Manor due to the unexpectedly early birth of my grandson. Mark Osborne quickly and graciously responded. The house is a lovely Victorian brownstone on a quiet residential street not far from subway and restaurants. I stayed in the grand Fitzgerald Room which is large, clean and decorated with charming period details. The king bed was comfortable, and bed linens were sumptuous. There is a shared bathroom but since no one else was staying, I felt as though I had my own private bath. Breakfast is offered in the dining room for $10., but I did not eat there. I needed to extend my stay and since the Fitzgerald Room was booked, Mark and his staff moved me to the Blue Room in another property a couple of blocks away. Again, it was charming; bed was comfortable, elegant linens, sumptuous towels, shared bathroom that wasn't shared. The kitchenette was stocked with water, coffee and tea. Throughout my week long stay, Mark and his folks were friendly, responsive and accommodating. This is a great value, and I will definitely stay here in the future.

Room Tip: The Fitzgerald Room and the Blue Room are both lovely and charming.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the blue room Thanksgiving week to be near family in Brooklyn. We could not have been more pleased. Checking in and out was a breeze. The folks at Lefferts could not have been easier to work with. The neighborhood was lovely with good restaurants near by. The bed was comfortable, the room nice, and the kitchen perfect for a morning cup of coffee or tea and maybe more

Room Tip: We liked being in the Blue Room in the Lady Fenimore House. It was very quiet, very private. The Ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple