“Feel like a New Yorker without the hassle!”

Lefferts Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 58 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was our second stay at one of the apartments managed by Mark/Lefferts Manor. Both times my husband and I stayed for four nights. This time we stayed in the Vanderbilt. The very large, clean room has a comfy bed with nice linens and good pillows; an overstuffed leather chair; a spacious dresser, and a non-working but very pretty, decorated fireplace. A light over each side of the bed was much-appreciated. Separately in the suite there was a tiled bathroom, a hall closet, and a well-equipped kitchen with a refrigerator and a gas stove! These amenities made our visit to Brooklyn simply perfect. The area is residential and quiet yet just a few blocks from two subway lines. On Saturday there's the wonderful Ft. Greene farmer's market. Will definitely return to Brooklyn and seek accommodations through Lefferts Manor. Mark goes out of his way to make sure every need is met.

Room Tip: The Vanderbilt is on the top floor so it's very quiet, no feet pounding the ceiling.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was visiting family and friends in NYC and stayed for 4 days/3 nights at the blue room in the Fenimore property, which is just around the corner from the main Rutland Rd B&B. I had an excellent experience. The room was big, clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable, but a bit high for me. There was a large walk-in closet, and the furniture was tastefully chosen, although at times I wished I had a small desk. There was a large kitchen complete with all the basic facilities, plus coffee and tea supplies. 3 or 4 medium-sized persons could easily eat a meal in the space. The shared bathroom was just renovated and suppled with clean, thick white towels. The B&B is just 4 blocks from the Prospect Park subway station, where there's a charming coffee shop and a big, late-night Wholesome grocery store just at the corner. Walk on leafy Bedford Avenue to get to the station, for a nice treat to pretty brownstone houses. Or walk on busy Flatbush Avenue if you want to get your hair done by salon after salon, or to try the eating places if you're daring. I wanted and had a haircut from Dominican barber, except he was from Haiti. Two stations away is the Atlantic/Barclays center transfer point where just about every line in NYC can be taken to anywhere you want to go. I was in Lower Manhattan/Times Square directly via the B or Q line in a relatively short trip. Last word: the breakfast was generous and varied daily with a healthy mix of cereals, fruits, eggs, bread/jams, yogurt and some meats. Mark the innkeeper is very friendly and helpful. I've bookmarked this place. I'm staying here again when I return to NYC, and have no hesitation to strongly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for the blue room at Lady Fenimore. It was just renovated and faces the backyard gardens of the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was in NYC for a very quick trip and was basically looking for a clean bed, but ended up finding so much more at Lefferts! The owner, Mark, was nice and extremely helpful. I originally booked a smaller room for myself, but Mark upgraded me to a larger one since it was empty during my stay. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and the house was lovely and clean with a lot of character and history. It located within walking distance to the subway, which is very convenient. I loved the neighborhood and everyone I met was super nice. Hopefully I will be able to return for a longer trip!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank S C
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We loved our stay! It was clean nice convenient and very comfortable. The location was perfect and really close to the trains. The neighborhood was safe and comfortable. We enjoyed the near by parks which were fun to run and walk in. Mark was amazing! We will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was exactly what I was looking for...a Brooklyn Brownstone as characteristic as it is clean! The whole place was elegant, tasteful, and lovely, and Mark could not have been a better host! He went way beyond the call of duty and provided exemplary service. The room (Osbourne) was lovely, the bed cozy beyond belief, and the bathroom right out of a French art film! Also, it's just a few blocks from the subway. THANKS MARK!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We originally booked the Vanderbilt Suite in the Fort Greene property to be able to get away from the hustle and bustle of NYC after a day of visiting. As it turned out, we spent much more time discovering Brooklyn itself and loving it. Brighton Beach with the Russian immigrants, the Red Hook Pound Lobster for the best lobster rolls in NY, the Brooklyn Bridge Park - still under-construction but with gorgeous views, Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn Flea Market - we loved all of it. The Fort Greene neighborhood itself was fun - we never had a moment of not feeling safe and were spontaneously offered help when we obviously needed it several times.
The Vanderbilt Suite was perfect for us - a large bedroom with comfy bed and pillows, real kitchen although there were no pans to use in the real oven - I'm sure that 99% of the cooking there is with the microwave but we wanted to heat something up in a real oven. There was a small walk-in closet which kept clutter in the bedroom itself to a minimum and a functional bathroom. The shampoo, soap and conditioner were lovely and the towels soft. The view out the window was typically Brooklyn - over-grown backyards, metal fire escapes - we started singing songs from West Side Story.
This is an old house though and has a few problems of old houses - creaky steps, some walls needed re-painting, some out of the way places had collected dust from several years, the carpet on the steps looked a little dodgy. These things didn't bother us but some people would prefer something less charming and more modern. We also found the air conditioner very loud but we aren't used to window air conditioners and perhaps they are always this loud. We were there at the beginning of September and were able to keep the windows open at night - it was a very quiet neighborhood! When we were there, the Wifi only worked in the bathroom and the walk-in closet - I sat on the toilet and my husband sat on the bathtub to check our emails in the evening. There was no telephone available which was a bit of a problem for us (no US cell phone) but Mark has written that he was inspired by our experience to change wifi and add a telephone.
During our 7 day stay, cleaners came twice to make the bed, clean the bathroom, etc.
All in all, we would definitely stay here again - we had a lovely time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aliden49
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I spent one night in the Benjamin room in the Lefferts Manor Bed and Breakfast annex at 172 Rutland Road in Brooklyn over Labor Day weekend. The other rooms were reserved for the remainer of the weekend so we were only able to spend one night. When we checked in, we were greeted by the owner, Mark. Mark was very friendly and made us feel welcome. The room was clean and attractive, the bed was comfortable, and we shared a bathroom with 3 other rooms. Downstairs was a mini-frig, coffee maker, and counter, seats, silverware, cups, and toaster, and sitting area. We liked everything about our stay except that breakfast was not included in the stay---you had to pay $10 per person extra for breakfast. Since one night stays have an extra $30 fee assessed, we thought it would have been nice if we had been offered breakfast for free or at a reduced rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family