Our first time in NY and after mega confusion and many many hours looking at websites and debating accomodation we opted for 2 weeks based at Lefferts in Fort Greene Brooklyn as something different to avoid the crowd swell of Matthatten.
Knowing nothing sometimes helps as this place was a true find. The accommodation is shabby chic and quirky but very comforable in the sense you settle in in 2 seconds. Its comfy and cute with space. We had 2 adjoining brownstone apartments which shared a bathroom and gave us access to a kitchen which was great when we just felt like a bagel and coffee. This was much better value than 2 hotel rooms for us and our teen in Manhatten, and much nicer.
The building is 3 level with a family that you occasionally run into and another holiday let that is seperate so you really feel like you have the whole place to yourself. The streets are safe and quiet - we had no problems wandering around to all hours.
The Fort Greene area is traditional in architecture and really pretty - it has a great vibe from the local Uni. The apartment is opposite a little park and walking distance to great cafes, brunch spots, restaurants, small wine bar, and the all important subway ( 10 min walk). Shopping can be found in nearby Park Slope and other areas we never go to - so much to do! We were between 10-20 mins away via subway to all major attractions in Manhatten but also enjoyed the local scene which reminded us of an Albert Park meets Brunswick feel - which might make sense if you are from Melbourne.
Brooklyn has heaps to see and do too so it was a lovely change from the town that can devour you. (If its springtime you must see the Botanic Gardens Blossom trees are out of this world.)
Mark the host of this establishment is offsite but was there if we needed him . I was concerned after reading things on the net about dodgy operators but no problems here. He was very helpful and provided lots of tips when we arrived and beforehand.
Musts for foodies are The General Greene cafe/ Bittersweet for coffee ( real coffee is common in Brooklyn ie expresso machines!!!!!)/ Abistro for something different/ Juniors for their famous NY cheesecake.
We loved it and will come back again and see more as you could easily spend a week in Brooklyn alone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a small, owner-operated B&B offering a modest variety of accommodations in charming Brooklyn, New York. We provide complimentary Wi-Fi, coffees & teas, linens, towels, & soap. The rooms blend Victorian architecture, modern Eastern design, and classic at-home comfort. We are right next to Prospect Park and just 15 minutes to Manhattan on the train! After years in the business, memorable guests, and gracious press from the likes of The New York Times and Le Figaro, we are proud to continue providing an affordable, peaceful, and reliable home from which to explore New York. Our rates may vary depending on our calendar so please contact us directly for the most up-to-date information! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Lefferts Manor Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lefferts Manor Hotel Brooklyn
- Lefferts Manor Bed And Breakfast