“As good as a walking tour gets”
Review of A Tour Grows in Brooklyn - CLOSED

A Tour Grows in Brooklyn
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“As good as a walking tour gets”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Hard to imagine a better way to spend 3 hours in NY. Rick is a knowledgeable and charming tour guide who knows his history and is very much part of the Brooklyn community he grew up in. Don't think 3 hours is too long it is an easy three hour stroll. Value is excellent too as Rick includes water and a light lunch in the price. Brooklyn fascinates

1 Thank avocetexsydney

cape griardeau,Mo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rick gave a historical tour with lots of local color.”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

"A Tour Grows in Brooklyn" With guide RIchard Kadlub was an informative walk with humor, stories, facts, and interesting side bars about this delightful area known as Brooklyn. Rick has a knowledge of the area that only someone who has lived here and loves the people and the surroundings could describe. He was timely, he was full of information, he was so helpful. I certainly appreciated his descriptions and his stories of growing up in Brooklyn. He made the area seem like a wonderful piece of America--a great country. t The fee was reasonable. The bottled water and the pizza were pleasant surprises. I highly recommend this tour of Brooklyn with Rick.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank muppetbaby_11
Union, New Jersey
227 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 247 helpful votes
“A Must Do in Brooklyn!!!!! Excellent Tour by Top Notch Guide.”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I took this walking tour on Wednesday morning, 8/18/11. The tour guide, Rick Kadlub, was waiting at the prescribed place when I arrived 5 minutes early. He was standing on the corner talking to several men from the neighborhood.

Rick is an absolutey fantastic guide for this tour. He has lived in the neighborhood for all of his 49 years and his family for over 100 years before that. He is a walking encyclopedia of Brooklyn . . . . especially Park Slope and Prospect Park. He obviously cares about the area and it's inhabitants and is well known and liked . . . . . as evidenced by the number of people who said "hi Rick" to him.

The tour starts across the street from where Al Capone (the famous Chicago mobster who grew up and lived in the area before moving to Chicago) lived for 10+ years with his wife in a 4th floor walkup. . . . . . . . continues on to an old abandoned bathouse that was used by the neighborhood residents many years ago before they had hot running water in their apartments. . . . . . . . . then through some great tree lined streets in Park Slope with beautiful old brownstones (bring your camera) . . . . . . . stops for a while at Grand Army Plaza where Rick tells of how the park was developed and the significance of the Arch . . . . . then through some of the park with Rick pointing out places and statues of interest . . . . . . back into Park Slope . . . . . . ending at an old fashioned Italian Pizza place for a slice of great pizza . . . . . compliments of Rick.

I have lived in New Jersey for almost 35 years and didn't know much about Brooklyn. Rich changed all that. As I said before, he's a walking encyclopedia of Brooklyn . . . . . . and his presentation is very interesting and friendly.

I spent 6 days in Brooklyn touring the area while apartment sitting at my my son and daughter-in-law's place. THIS TOUR WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY STAY. . . . . . and his suggestions spurred me on to visit places in Brooklyn that I had never even thought of visiting.

I have visited almost every large city in this country and gone to over 20 foreign countries. I almost always start my visit in a new city with a tour . . . . . . so I have been on many many tours . . . . . . . and I can honestly say that "A Tour Grows in Brooklyn" is one of the very best that I have even taken.

Rick should write a history of Brooklyn or a guide book for Brooklyn. If he ever does, I want to buy a copy.

Don't miss this tour if you visit Brooklyn . . . . . and if you live in Brooklyn, it's a great way to learn more about Prospect Park and the Park Slope neighborhood.

Visited August 2011
“The best way to know Brooklyn is simply taking a walk with "Big Rick"!”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I'm an international student who is working in Mahattan this summer. During the exploration of New York culture, I always wonder what it looks like on the other side of the East River. The 4-hour walk guided by Rick revealed the beauty, history, diversity and vigor. He is a Brooklynpedia and can tell you all the background information with exact date, number, name and so on. And I was touched by his love to the place, where he has been a resident for nearly 50 years. He knows everybody and cares about the neighborhood. Witnessing the changes of Brooklyn every day, he wants to share his knowledge and memory about it with people who are eager to know. And I'm glad I am one of them!

Halifax, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Informative Tour”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We enjoyed the walking tour of Prospect Heights. We enjoyed learning about the history of the area and seeing the beautiful architecture.

Visited June 2011