“Stay elsewhere ”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Aloft for one night and that was more than enough. I should have known it would have been a problem from the get go when the booking desk couldn't even get the 2 room booking straight. They quoted me 3 different prices for the same rooms and couldn't give me a straight answer for a total price. When arriving (early) to the hotel only one room was ready, no problem check in wasn't til 3. We were told to come back at 1 for the second room so we went for lunch and shopping and came back after 330 and the room was still not ready. All the manager could do was apologize and tell me to wait 20 min. The attitude from the management clearly feeds off onto the staff as the front desk were all uninterested in working and rude.
Once we got our rooms we (thankfully) didn't need any more assistance from the hotel staff. When ready to check out we wanted to pay on a different credit card than the one on file. No problem they said.. printed me up the bill swiped the card and off we went. This morning I check my credit card statement and they had charged the wrong card! This place is very unorganized as if they had just opened their doors today for the first time. I am unimpressed with the service, the hotel itself is standard - clean rooms with the regular amenities. Head Office needs to do something about the management and training of front desk staff to actually assist customers properly and make them interested in coming back again.

1  Thank pajoa

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel rooms and lobby were nice enough. Unfortunately, the double rooms have adjoining doors to, presumably, non-double rooms. You can hear EVERYTHING, even normal talking voices as though the neighbours are right in your room. It was so bad the first night that we asked to be moved and were told that all double rooms had doors to adjoining rooms. We moved anyway. It was just as bad, resulting in 3 sleepless nights. We both travel a lot for pleasure and business and have NEVER stayed in worse room for noise. We were with friends who also had a similar experience in their rooms. This is simply a terrible design flaw, there are no sound seals on any doors, to other rooms or corridors. We would never stay there again and would never recommend it which is too bad because it is a great location and a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if your room adjoins any other room, if it has a connecting door, do not take the room.
2  Thank PMilneToronto
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have already entered a complaint with Starwood hotels regarding my recent stay at the Brooklyn Aloft. From the first moment we walked into the hotel we were assaulted with noise. Apparently Friday evening was DJ in the entrance night with the DJ blaring their music directly at the front desk. This meant miming and mouthing our check-in with the front desk clerk. After a long and stressful drive to Brooklyn, nothing could have been worse. I would have overlooked this introduction as simply annoying except that this lack of consideration continued. When we returned to our room after midnight and found that a stereo was blaring somewhere which kept us from being able to sleep. When we called down to the front desk they explained that there was a lounge above our floor (23rd) which is open until 3am (!!!). Unfortunately, no one explained this at check in (or for all I know they did and my lip reading skills need serious help). I honestly feel worse for the family who were also put on the 23rd floor and had a poor screaming child who they obviously couldn't get to sleep because of the noise. The hotel did move us the next day and gave us a complimentary breakfast, however this hardly compensates for the inconvenience. We were in Brooklyn only for a short time and spent Saturday zoned out because of the lack of sleep. I still haven't heard back from Starwood's customer service to follow up on my complaint. I'm truly disappointed at what could have been a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 23rd floor and wear your earplugs when in the lobby
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M M
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

As a young and highly energetic boutique hotel we feature our very popular DJ night every other Friday which is also posted on our website. I’m sorry you were not aware of the guest social events taking place at our hotel over the weekend in question. Please note, the rooftop bar above the 23rd floor did not have a DJ that night. I researched our guest service logs for the 23rd floor and was unable to locate complaints from other guests concerning the crying baby. We genuinely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of this. I do note the following morning you were moved from the 23rd to the 11th floor plus our very caring staff did genuinely extend a complimentary breakfast to you. MM, we take every complaint seriously; my managers are looking to improve on our publicized special event schedule as we move forward. Most Sincerely.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

First, I have traveled a lot on business staying at hotels such as Four Seasons to Holiday Inn Express and this is literally the first time I have experienced a terrible stay like this. I expected a certain level of quality from a Starwood and W inspired hotel, but this hotel fell short.

The staff was fantastic and lobby was really nice. In fact, the room was designed nicely with great beds and decor. Here's the bad... if you book a double room at this hotel, your room will be adjoined to another guest room, which is separated by 2 locked doors.... this is nothing new to me given all hotels have this type of setup. The flaw with the design is that there is literally no sound insulation from the other room. We learned this the first night we were staying there at midnight when our neighbors returned to their room. They weren't bad neighbors, but we could literally hear there conversation as if they were in our room and they were talking normally. We were shocked of how easy it was hear everything they talked about and did (watch tv, flush toilet, check voicemails). It was very hard for my family to sleep through this and it's not like our neighbor was being obnoxious or overly loud... they were acting like anyone would with a normal hotel room.

The next morning, we requested another room that did not have an adjoining room and was informed that only king bedrooms had this type of setup. Unfortunately, the hotel was sold out and they couldn't accommodate. We still wanted another room since our original room had a bad smell from the bathroom and our AC and heat wasn't working properly. They were nice enough to move our bags when we weren't there, but they couldn't guarantee the sound insulation would be any better. Unfortunately, we had the same sound issues. This time, we could hear quite clearly the woman next to us face timing her family on her ipad. We felt like we were in the room with her! Knowing that we could hear it quite clearly, my wife and I would whisper knowing she could hear us if we spoke at normal conversation levels.

If we stayed in a king room, our experiences would have been vastly different, but unfortunately we stayed in the double room. We were quite disappointed of how sound travel and there was a lack of privacy between rooms. It's shame given that the hotel is really nice.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend the double room if you want privacy or quiet from the other room.
3  Thank Dan N

Dear mrrun2fast

I apologize for your less than adequate stay at our hotel. I regret the fact you were a victim of a rare lapse in our operating standards. We have a sizable inventory of non-connecting rooms and have launched an inquiry as to what happened in order to vastly improve our procedures. I empathize with you and genuinely appreciate your candor. After reading your email, I asked my Chief Engineer to formulate a plan to sound proof and isolate the few rooms we have left falling into this category. Most Sincerely

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We've stayed in this hotel the last few times we came to New York. Within easy walking distance of a few different Metro lines, you can get to Manhattan or anywhere else you want to go very quickly. Aloft is in a relatively nice shopping area of Brooklyn, and the rooms are a good size and very clean. Also the staff was very helpful. They gave us extra blankets whenever we asked and when we had trouble with the TV the tech guy came up in about 5 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hi NikkiH949,

Thank you for being a loyal Starwood member and staying at the Aloft Brooklyn. With so many hotels in the area, we are honored to have you as a loyal customer.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Never having stayed in Brooklyn before, I was not sure what to expect. I found the aloft to be clean, comfortable, and centrally located. It was a quick ride on the Q to Times Square as well as down to Coney Island. A shiny new shopping area at the end of the block was a nice surprise too!

Room Tip: Weekend nights were fine but construction starts early on weekday mornings. My room overlooked the...

Hello mddem,

Thank you for the uplifting review. You are right about the Q train to Times Square. We are 4 stops away from Times Square. Thank you for pointing this out.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I'm really late with my review. I stayed at the Aloft on two separate occasions in January during the dreadful cold snap. I was staying there because I was displaced from my home that had no heat and broken pipes. Ahhhhhh.. The warmth of the hotel would sooth my weary footbones. NOT! I was in a suite with drafty windows and a lovely view of vacant buildings and construction. The suite was spacious don't get me wrong. However on both occasions I was there I had little to no heat. It seems as though the hotel had a problem with the heat. Yes it's winter and those things tend to happen, but it's how things are handled. There was no point of going to the Ice Bar because of the freezing temperatures. The location is good for getting around. The staff is hit and miss. I experienced a serious lapse in communication and what I deemed a potential harm to my safety at the hotel which is why I will never step foot in there again. There was an attempts to recitfy the situation but not enough to temper the embarrassment and treatment I went through. I'm sure you all will be more fortunate.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank snarkytraveler

As the GM I dealt directly with this situation. I truly believe my trip advisor audiences are smart enough to validate this claim based on the prior positive guest reviews listed below. On a positive note, I hope the contractors were able to fix the broken pipes in your home and the future is looking brighter.