“stay only if you want to party in your hotel (and not sleep)”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have already entered a complaint with Starwood hotels regarding my recent stay at the Brooklyn Aloft. From the first moment we walked into the hotel we were assaulted with noise. Apparently Friday evening was DJ in the entrance night with the DJ blaring their music directly at the front desk. This meant miming and mouthing our check-in with the front desk clerk. After a long and stressful drive to Brooklyn, nothing could have been worse. I would have overlooked this introduction as simply annoying except that this lack of consideration continued. When we returned to our room after midnight and found that a stereo was blaring somewhere which kept us from being able to sleep. When we called down to the front desk they explained that there was a lounge above our floor (23rd) which is open until 3am (!!!). Unfortunately, no one explained this at check in (or for all I know they did and my lip reading skills need serious help). I honestly feel worse for the family who were also put on the 23rd floor and had a poor screaming child who they obviously couldn't get to sleep because of the noise. The hotel did move us the next day and gave us a complimentary breakfast, however this hardly compensates for the inconvenience. We were in Brooklyn only for a short time and spent Saturday zoned out because of the lack of sleep. I still haven't heard back from Starwood's customer service to follow up on my complaint. I'm truly disappointed at what could have been a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 23rd floor and wear your earplugs when in the lobby
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M M
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

As a young and highly energetic boutique hotel we feature our very popular DJ night every other Friday which is also posted on our website. I’m sorry you were not aware of the guest social events taking place at our hotel over the weekend in question. Please note, the rooftop bar above the 23rd floor did not have a DJ that night. I researched our guest service logs for the 23rd floor and was unable to locate complaints from other guests concerning the crying baby. We genuinely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of this. I do note the following morning you were moved from the 23rd to the 11th floor plus our very caring staff did genuinely extend a complimentary breakfast to you. MM, we take every complaint seriously; my managers are looking to improve on our publicized special event schedule as we move forward. Most Sincerely.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

First, I have traveled a lot on business staying at hotels such as Four Seasons to Holiday Inn Express and this is literally the first time I have experienced a terrible stay like this. I expected a certain level of quality from a Starwood and W inspired hotel, but this hotel fell short.

The staff was fantastic and lobby was really nice. In fact, the room was designed nicely with great beds and decor. Here's the bad... if you book a double room at this hotel, your room will be adjoined to another guest room, which is separated by 2 locked doors.... this is nothing new to me given all hotels have this type of setup. The flaw with the design is that there is literally no sound insulation from the other room. We learned this the first night we were staying there at midnight when our neighbors returned to their room. They weren't bad neighbors, but we could literally hear there conversation as if they were in our room and they were talking normally. We were shocked of how easy it was hear everything they talked about and did (watch tv, flush toilet, check voicemails). It was very hard for my family to sleep through this and it's not like our neighbor was being obnoxious or overly loud... they were acting like anyone would with a normal hotel room.

The next morning, we requested another room that did not have an adjoining room and was informed that only king bedrooms had this type of setup. Unfortunately, the hotel was sold out and they couldn't accommodate. We still wanted another room since our original room had a bad smell from the bathroom and our AC and heat wasn't working properly. They were nice enough to move our bags when we weren't there, but they couldn't guarantee the sound insulation would be any better. Unfortunately, we had the same sound issues. This time, we could hear quite clearly the woman next to us face timing her family on her ipad. We felt like we were in the room with her! Knowing that we could hear it quite clearly, my wife and I would whisper knowing she could hear us if we spoke at normal conversation levels.

If we stayed in a king room, our experiences would have been vastly different, but unfortunately we stayed in the double room. We were quite disappointed of how sound travel and there was a lack of privacy between rooms. It's shame given that the hotel is really nice.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend the double room if you want privacy or quiet from the other room.
3  Thank Dan N

Dear mrrun2fast

I apologize for your less than adequate stay at our hotel. I regret the fact you were a victim of a rare lapse in our operating standards. We have a sizable inventory of non-connecting rooms and have launched an inquiry as to what happened in order to vastly improve our procedures. I empathize with you and genuinely appreciate your candor. After reading your email, I asked my Chief Engineer to formulate a plan to sound proof and isolate the few rooms we have left falling into this category. Most Sincerely

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We've stayed in this hotel the last few times we came to New York. Within easy walking distance of a few different Metro lines, you can get to Manhattan or anywhere else you want to go very quickly. Aloft is in a relatively nice shopping area of Brooklyn, and the rooms are a good size and very clean. Also the staff was very helpful. They gave us extra blankets whenever we asked and when we had trouble with the TV the tech guy came up in about 5 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hi NikkiH949,

Thank you for being a loyal Starwood member and staying at the Aloft Brooklyn. With so many hotels in the area, we are honored to have you as a loyal customer.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Never having stayed in Brooklyn before, I was not sure what to expect. I found the aloft to be clean, comfortable, and centrally located. It was a quick ride on the Q to Times Square as well as down to Coney Island. A shiny new shopping area at the end of the block was a nice surprise too!

Room Tip: Weekend nights were fine but construction starts early on weekday mornings. My room overlooked the...

Hello mddem,

Thank you for the uplifting review. You are right about the Q train to Times Square. We are 4 stops away from Times Square. Thank you for pointing this out.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I'm really late with my review. I stayed at the Aloft on two separate occasions in January during the dreadful cold snap. I was staying there because I was displaced from my home that had no heat and broken pipes. Ahhhhhh.. The warmth of the hotel would sooth my weary footbones. NOT! I was in a suite with drafty windows and a lovely view of vacant buildings and construction. The suite was spacious don't get me wrong. However on both occasions I was there I had little to no heat. It seems as though the hotel had a problem with the heat. Yes it's winter and those things tend to happen, but it's how things are handled. There was no point of going to the Ice Bar because of the freezing temperatures. The location is good for getting around. The staff is hit and miss. I experienced a serious lapse in communication and what I deemed a potential harm to my safety at the hotel which is why I will never step foot in there again. There was an attempts to recitfy the situation but not enough to temper the embarrassment and treatment I went through. I'm sure you all will be more fortunate.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank snarkytraveler

As the GM I dealt directly with this situation. I truly believe my trip advisor audiences are smart enough to validate this claim based on the prior positive guest reviews listed below. On a positive note, I hope the contractors were able to fix the broken pipes in your home and the future is looking brighter.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Recently stayed there for a night and I guess you get what you pay for(a good clean room). The hotel is good but there are no frills and there is no staff there to help you or assist you. It's like flying in US Airways. Also, as a preferred SPG member I was expecting a preferred floor and a lounge but I was advice that was not the case in the Aloft hotels. The walls are very thin so you can hear the people in the rooms next to yours. I have a family on the room next to mine and lets say I was up by 6:30am.

Room Tip: It is a good option if you are planning to use the room to sleep, shower and change
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rwurbina

Hello rwurbina,

Yes you are correct, as a limited service brand we do not have exclusive SPG floors compared to our full service sister hotels like the Sheraton hotel located next door. I do apologize for the noise coming from the adjacent room and thank you for sharing your experience with our hard working staff.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Decent price for Brooklyn, very close to Subway links for Manhattan or the rest of Brooklyn. Rooms are modern and clean with all amenities you could want. The location in Brooklyn is not the swankiest but it's safe and you feel like you are in a real part of the city with very colorful locals around.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank zane_8

Hello zane_8,

"The location in Brooklyn is not the swankiest but it's safe and you feel like you are in a real part of the city with very colorful locals around" - Your review made me laugh after a long day at the office. You have a great sense of humor. We do have a lot of local independent "colorful" artist in the area. Thank you for sharing. Safe Travels!