“Good location, nice rooms”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We've stayed in this hotel the last few times we came to New York. Within easy walking distance of a few different Metro lines, you can get to Manhattan or anywhere else you want to go very quickly. Aloft is in a relatively nice shopping area of Brooklyn, and the rooms are a good size and very clean. Also the staff was very helpful. They gave us extra blankets whenever we asked and when we had trouble with the TV the tech guy came up in about 5 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hi NikkiH949,

Thank you for being a loyal Starwood member and staying at the Aloft Brooklyn. With so many hotels in the area, we are honored to have you as a loyal customer.

Aloft Brooklyn, your home away from home…

Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Never having stayed in Brooklyn before, I was not sure what to expect. I found the aloft to be clean, comfortable, and centrally located. It was a quick ride on the Q to Times Square as well as down to Coney Island. A shiny new shopping area at the end of the block was a nice surprise too!

Room Tip: Weekend nights were fine but construction starts early on weekday mornings. My room overlooked the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hello mddem,

Thank you for the uplifting review. You are right about the Q train to Times Square. We are 4 stops away from Times Square. Thank you for pointing this out.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I'm really late with my review. I stayed at the Aloft on two separate occasions in January during the dreadful cold snap. I was staying there because I was displaced from my home that had no heat and broken pipes. Ahhhhhh.. The warmth of the hotel would sooth my weary footbones. NOT! I was in a suite with drafty windows and a lovely view of vacant buildings and construction. The suite was spacious don't get me wrong. However on both occasions I was there I had little to no heat. It seems as though the hotel had a problem with the heat. Yes it's winter and those things tend to happen, but it's how things are handled. There was no point of going to the Ice Bar because of the freezing temperatures. The location is good for getting around. The staff is hit and miss. I experienced a serious lapse in communication and what I deemed a potential harm to my safety at the hotel which is why I will never step foot in there again. There was an attempts to recitfy the situation but not enough to temper the embarrassment and treatment I went through. I'm sure you all will be more fortunate.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank snarkytraveler

As the GM I dealt directly with this situation. I truly believe my trip advisor audiences are smart enough to validate this claim based on the prior positive guest reviews listed below. On a positive note, I hope the contractors were able to fix the broken pipes in your home and the future is looking brighter.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Recently stayed there for a night and I guess you get what you pay for(a good clean room). The hotel is good but there are no frills and there is no staff there to help you or assist you. It's like flying in US Airways. Also, as a preferred SPG member I was expecting a preferred floor and a lounge but I was advice that was not the case in the Aloft hotels. The walls are very thin so you can hear the people in the rooms next to yours. I have a family on the room next to mine and lets say I was up by 6:30am.

Room Tip: It is a good option if you are planning to use the room to sleep, shower and change
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rwurbina

Hello rwurbina,

Yes you are correct, as a limited service brand we do not have exclusive SPG floors compared to our full service sister hotels like the Sheraton hotel located next door. I do apologize for the noise coming from the adjacent room and thank you for sharing your experience with our hard working staff.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Decent price for Brooklyn, very close to Subway links for Manhattan or the rest of Brooklyn. Rooms are modern and clean with all amenities you could want. The location in Brooklyn is not the swankiest but it's safe and you feel like you are in a real part of the city with very colorful locals around.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank zane_8

Hello zane_8,

"The location in Brooklyn is not the swankiest but it's safe and you feel like you are in a real part of the city with very colorful locals around" - Your review made me laugh after a long day at the office. You have a great sense of humor. We do have a lot of local independent "colorful" artist in the area. Thank you for sharing. Safe Travels!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel was clean, modern, smart and functional. Rooms were medium size, I liked the decoration ( I agree with the concept less is more) in the room you could make yourself a decent cup of coffee, tea was available. Everything was clean and the bed was perfect. I think this is like the midrange version of the Sheraton.
It is nearby a train station which is very convenient (3 minutes walk). They do not have a rooftop though. They advertise to have rooftop but the truth is that they share the Sheraton' s rooftop (the Sheraton is located just next to Aloft). If you plan to do some sightseeing in Manhattan I would advise you to find a hotel just right there, Brooklyn is like 25 minutes away from Manhattan by subway

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lamossella

Hello Lamossella,

I’m glad to hear we at least met your expectations. Hopefully the next time, we can exceed your expectations now you've become acclimated with the Aloft brand. Lamosella, if you take the Q Express train from our location it's only 4 stops to Times Square. The local trains take longer to Manhattan. Thank you for sharing your experience with our hard working staff.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I switched my flight last minute out of LAX, so I fired up the in flight wifi on my computer and started searching for hotels. I had seen the Aloft Brooklyn come up the day before (preemptively searching to see if it would be worth switching my flight) for 259 per night. I decided to hold out. I booked the hotel around 8:30pm NY time, and got a nonrefundable rate of 109. Wayyy better.

I arrived at the hotel, and I was given a 2double room instead of a king. Did I really care? No, but the receptionist gave me a drink voucher anyway. Hey, I figured a margarita before bed couldn't hurt. Overall very trendy hotel design. It really does feel like a cheaper W hotel. The rooms themselves weren't the biggest, but felt roomy enough. Not a fan of the 2in1 shampoo/conditioner, but that's really nit-picky.

The hotel was about 30 minutes from JFK, which cost about $50 via UberX, but it does put you in or around (not super familiar) Brooklyn Heights, which is super close to Manhattan.

I requested late checkout which they honored, and I just walked to a chipotle for lunch the next day. They have an in-room dining service via a restaurant, but I didn't try it out.

Solid hotel, especially if you get it for the right price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Joey P

Hi Joey P

On behalf of our entire staff at the Aloft Brooklyn Hotel we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. Safe Travels throughout the year!