“Nice hotel, bad noise”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed November 10, 2013

+ Aloft standards: In-room safe and fridge for personal use
+ Quick and pro room-service experience
+/- Gym available but quite small
- Noise from (temporary) construction. I was on a high floor so my sleep wasn't affected much but the noise in the lobby was so bad that we couldn't even have a conversation with the receptionist.
- Poor room-to-room noise isolation. I was in a connected room, could hear my neighbor's TV very clearly, one morning even got woken up by their alarm clock!

Room Tip: Avoid connected rooms, if possible, due to poor noise isolation
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank janpopovic
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hello janpopovic,

I apologize for the temporary construction noise, the good news is the developer is practically done removing the concrete wall and noted a target completion date before mid-december of this year.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I would have wanted to rate this hotel highly. The bed was great, the room was very nice and spotless, and roomy. The hotel had a great gym and pool area.

We had been warned, both on the website and by the SPG phone reservation agent, that there was weekday construction noise "in the vicinity" of the hotel. What we were not warned about was that there was demolition of a concrete slab connected to the hotel. The first morning of our stay, at 7:05am we were surprised by the violent hammering sending vibrations throughout the building, even to the higher floors. Two subsequent weekend mornings were fine; we checked out early so as not to be there for the Monday morning construction.

The price of the hotel is not cheap. We are not demanding travelers, but we found that the front desk staff were inconsistently professional, with some individuals unacceptable. Additional training and scrutiny of the staff is required. Even for a "hip" and casual atmosphere, staff should be more pleasant and customer oriented.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Needagoodbed

Hi Needagoodbed,

I mentioned the following to another guest -"I apologize for the temporary construction noise, the good news is the developer is practically done removing the concrete wall and noted a target completion date before mid-December of this year." Needagoodbed, despite the construction advisory posted on our websites the demand for our hotel is extremely high. But also note this, compared to hotel rates in Manhattan we are still an unbelievable bargain without question. Thanks.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights. It's located near Brooklyn Hall, within walking distance of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's a new building in an area undergoing intensive gentirification.
The room was small. It had everything one might need but I felt that I was in a space station in which everything was planned for compact utility. The hotel is clean, has a small bar in the lobby and a room off the lobby where on can sit and chat, or read, or use a computer. The service was very friendly, efficient, and polite.
My only major complaint was the price. By my reckoning it is overpriced for the level of infrastructure and the location. I had no choice so I booked and paid, but if I wasn't on the clock I would have looked for a more reasonably priced accomodation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JackP47

Hi JackP47,

Thank you for the positive comments about our hotel. Safe travels and have a good year end.

All The Best,

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Arrived at hotel only to find that our discount reservation company hadn't gotten the necessary info to them. Unlike some online complaints, front desk staff patiently worked out the glitches and surprised us by giving us a major upgrade to a suite. We loved our room and have only good feelings about our treatment.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tennisaceWayne_PA
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi tennisaceWayne_PA,

Thank you for the excellent review. We have a very caring staff. I've had a good amount of travelers tell me personally the online negative comments are like night and day. They love this small boutique and sassy hotel and enjoy the attentive happy go lucky staff. I thank you for your kind words. Please come back and visit us again. All The Best!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed just one night just to try some local experience back in late 2012 during holiday season. Room was clean and well organized. We enjoyed our room. Front desk, not quite. Lack of smile and didn't feel like professional enough. Overall I gave it a C+. For budget travel, it's doable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimplyEasyNYC
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Hello SimpleNYC,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay a year ago. I invite you to come back soon. As the new GM for this property a lot of new & exciting guest service initiatives have taken place since 2012.

JP

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I arrived very ill to the hotel. I was made to sit in the lobby for 2 hours while they sorted out a clerical error, despite the fact that they were assured that the necessary paperwork was forthcoming. Then, by the time that was cleared up, they had given away our reservation. We were accommodated into a suite, then forced to move rooms again the next day. When I asked to be allowed to stay in the room as I was really sick, and was unceremoniously told "NO". Others in our party were put into a room with one bed instead of a double. We are seeking a refund.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank DurgaMcBroomHudson

Hi Durga,

As the GM for the hotel you & I worked personally to resolve the error made by this 3rd party. I bought you complimentary drinks at the Wxyz bar in our lobby as my team worked to quickly resolve the matter with your contact. I think my genuine care and kindness speaks volume considering the circumstances at hand. Wishing you safe travels.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

While attempting to make a reservation for this hotel, I noticed that the pet policy stated that under normal conditions, accompanying dogs can only weigh 40 lbs or less. The policy stated that exceptions could be made if you spoke with the general manager. I emailed the manager and explained my situation and gave brief info on my dog. He simply referred me back to the policy and didn't bother to explain why the policy stated to contact him in the first place. I will not be staying at an Aloft after that exchange.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Stephen H

Hi Stephen

I have a dog as well and completely understand your frustration. Our policy state pets must weigh less than 40lbs. Thank You.