“Housekeeping steals.”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had an ipad that I left in the hotel room and some how it got stolen out of the room that I was staying in. Maybe someone gained access to my room that was not housekeeping, but chances are that it was someone from their housekeeping staff. This is a very shady hotel, they think that they can just help themselves to your valuables. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. I will be filing a police report and a complaint with their corporate office.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Christina K
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Hi Christina,

We sincerely apologize for the loss of your iPad but to be fair to our audience; my team was ready and willing to assist you. Our directors tried several times to contact you with no success. We conducted our own independent investigation but due to the one week delay in reporting your loss we were unable to conclude our investigation. Additionally, all of our guest rooms have an in room safe which we advise all of our guests to use. Please kindly contact my office at your earliest convenience as time is of the essence. JP

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I can recommend Aloft hotel Brooklyn for its very convenient location, if you are visiting Brooklyn in academic interests. The New York University Polytechnic Campus and the campus of the Long Island University are just nearby. I also recommend Aloft hotel Brooklyn for its very helpful, kind and understanding staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible. The views of NYC are fantastic
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ramunas P

Hello Ramunas, as a globetrotter you've visited many hotels and cities, I'm humble to have received a perfect score from you! We wake up every day with one goal in mind "To Wow our Guests", your review touched everyone here. Thank you and safe travels. JP

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This place is great in theory, but need to work out some kinks. First, I wish I'd gotten the $99 rate that the other reviewers had gotten. I booked a few weeks ago and the best rate was more than that. Plus, it's almost impossible to park in this area anymore and they have changed the directions of all the streets, so it's challenging to get to. When we arrived, there was a letter informing is that the vanity light over the sink was recalled and we could not use it. That would have been fine, if the bathroom wasn't like a cave. It was so dark in there and we needed to go to a wedding. It was very challenging getting ready in the dark. I asked if there was an alternative light they could let me use (a desk lamp??). The staff said no there was not. Plus, the hotel doesn't tell you that they don't have bathtubs, showers only.

For the money, they should have had a more convenient solution to the dark cavernous bathroom problem.

A plus side, they have access to the Sheraton's pool (located thru a door via their "backyard"), so bring your bathing suit b/c that's not on the web site either.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, be prepared. I mean tiny. The bathrooms are tiny, too and have only showers, no tub...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KNKH
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Hello KNKH,
Thank you for your feedback. The rates in our industry change on a daily basis. I agree with you, parking in downtown Brooklyn has always been challenging - we offer valet parking as an amenity. Brooklyn is experiencing “Spectacular” growth, especially with the addition of the Barclays Center Arena. Furthermore, we have many high profile retail stores flocking to our block giving our customers an AMAZING shopping experience outside of Manhattan. Our website state “showers” – please kindly check again. As for the lights, we don’t have a recall on this fixture. I hope you had a good time at the wedding & we look forward to exceeding your expectations the next time you visit us. Safe Travels - JP

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Before going to the hotel was quoted $39 per night for valet. Well on arrival that became $61 per night as the parking is not controlled by the hotel as owners. Also I stayed 2 nights but they then tried to charge me $183 plus tax for 3 days instead of 2 nights at $39 or $78. I will never stay there again as staff also dress like slobs in dirty jeans so completely unprofessional looking presentation. Aloft brand is starting to fall apart, as no consistsncy by operators.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank DoctorVonCueBall

Hello DoctorVonCueBall

I remember you bringing this to my attention in the lobby. Upon my request, the parking facility operator agreed to waive the charges prior to your departure. I made sure you were taken care of and apologize for the service encounter. I’m passionate about our “Service” and try to read and respond to all comments posted by my valued guests. I hope you decide to come back soon. Safe Travels-JP

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I mean - second time? I must like this place. My first stay was back in 2011 a few months after the hotel had opened. Little has changed since and this is a good thing!

It's more of a funky trendy set-up and it works. There are 23 floors but both times I stayed on the 4th floor. I've lived in NYC...don't really care for the view. I love that you have to tap your keycard to get the elevator to go up.

The rooms are efficient! Large enough but still neat. I had 2 double beds, tv, lamp, free wireless, iron, mini iron board, and a few spaces to sit. I do love their bathrooms. Large sink and vanity area, beautiful shower (no tub) and the commode was next to the shower. The shampoo and body wash are dispensed from the wall so there are no small bottles to waste. The bottled water is free (go on - faint) and there is a coffee maker with to-go cups. The a/c was not loud at all. The beds are comfortable - but you know those sheets and comforters that seem to absorb the cold? So you need your body to warm up the bed? This is just that. Thankfully I carry my fleece blanket so I was warm.

The hotel has a "Make a Green Choice" program - once you do not request daily cleaning in your room - they slip a $5 coupon under your door which you can use to buy items from the food area in the lobby. I had $15 after my stay and was able to get a Kind bar, coffee, bottled water and bottled juice. This is an excellent program if you are clean and neat.

Location is IDEAL. On Duffield Street along Fulton Mall in Downtown Brooklyn. Next to a Sheraton and across from the Indigo Hotel. So it's not a ratty, industrial kinda spot that will make you nervous. It is close to restaurants mainly on Montague Street. Cinema and Barnes & Noble on Court St. Columbus Park has a farmers market there on a Saturday and an abundance of Duane Reade's (pharmacy), gourmet shops and a Perelandra organic market. And tons of subways (2, 3, F, A,C, E). Post office, library, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and a Panera Bread.

I love this hotel and as long as they keep up their wonderful services, I will continue to return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JasmineLilypad

Hi & Hello JasmineLilypad,

I and my staff loved your review so much! I'm humble for the kind awards and hope you continue to make our hotel your home away from home. Be Safe and ask for JP the next time you visit. Safe Travels.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just a few blocks from the subway, this is a great option. The staff is very friendly and the hip atmosphere just gives you a relaxing vibe. Always appreciate the reasonably priced lobby bar. The rooms are on the small side but who spends a lot of time in their room in NYC/Brooklyn?

Room Tip: A high floor gets you further from the street noise but the hotel is on a pretty quiet street so the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gbtrotter
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Hi Gbtrotter,

Thank you for the positive feedback about our friendly staff and calling our hotel "hip." We love the vibe here at the Aloft especially the free summer concerts our guests have come to enjoy. We hope you return again and again. All The Best and Safe Travels. JP

Reviewed June 11, 2013

this was real a one of a kind experience once I visit this hotel , eventhoug it is on the bronk the hotel spirit was one of a king , price wise super nice .. the bar , the place , the pool table , the people everything super nice ... five star nice product from starwood ..

Room Tip: looking west
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank del carmen a

Hello Del Carmen,

To quote you "the people everything super nice ... five star nice product from starwood." Thank you for the recognition. We continue to work very hard to "Wow" the hundreds of guests who stay with us every day. I hope you plan to come back very soon. Safe Travels. JP