“Not to shabby”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the "Aloft" in Brooklyn for 5 days four nights while in transition of moving out of NYC. We used points and the staff was pretty amazing. We got there at 11am knowing we may not be able to check in till 3pm, but seeing as were Starwood members they happily checked us in with no issues. We got complimentary latte's daily and were able to get so many more points but going GREEN! The area was not what I expected but tons of shopping and dining close by.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you sharing your comments about your stay with us. We always try to accommodate all guests with early check-ins, but especially our SPG members. We do offer FREE coffee in the mornings at our re:fuel grab-n-go area. I'm glad you notice the nearby shopping and hope you had time to enjoy it. There are great local restaurants located on Smith Street, which is walking distance from the hotel. Please be our guest again when you travel back to NYC.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had an awesome stay here during the aftermath of hurricane Sandy. Check-in was quick and painless even though I was very early. The room was clean and well designed for a relatively small space. Complimentary wifi, good shower, and they even have a small refrigerator in the room, rare to see these days. I highly recommend for anyone visiting New York; subways are close (though they were flooded when I was there) as well as the Brooklyn Bridge for a nice walk into Manhattan.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry you weren't able to explore NYC due to Hurricane Sandy, but glad that you were safe at our hotel. We are in walking distance to Brooklyn Bridge and many other shopping & night life entertainment. Please visit us again when your travels bring you to the Downtown Brooklyn area.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

First time at an Aloft and it was a pretty good experience overall. Everything worked great and there were some nice touches. Friendly check-in and it was fast.

The "loft" was pretty basic but functional and while I understand the need for eco-friendly lighting you'd think they would be able to make everything a little less stark or at least be creative with "softer" lights or something. Everything had a weird, depressing fluorescent glow.

Can't speak to the location as I'd never been to that part of Brooklyn. Very convenient to Manhattan though.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank doodles4306
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your experience. I will share the information regarding the front desk service with the staff. I'm really glad you like the Aloft brand and look forward to hosting your next stay with us.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Booked a last minute deal, rang hotel reservations and requested a bath.

Got there and the guy told me non of rooms has baths and central reservations should know that. Not a problem but I really wanted a bath after a 24 hour journey.

Room was great very modern loved the huge tv and the free wifi and the feature where your iPad appears on the big tv, only problem was it wasn't working so I called down for assistance, I was told yer we get that a lot .... !

After a great nights sleep got up had a shower - why oh why was the rain shower head level with my head and the pressure was like a trickle - very disappointing

On check out the hotel staff who seem to be far to busy to actually look after guests had no idea how to get to la guardia except by cab, c'mon guys there is only 3 airports , know your stuff.

When we took a cab to airport we left our bag in it , called hotel and they sorted it within minutes , this was A1 service thank you.

All in great hotel but left with a bitter taste not a sweet one, a loft kinda felt F loft and it was f for customer service fail not furnishings

• Stayed: October 2012
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am sorry Central Reservations was not able to inform you we do not have bath tubs in our rooms. Unfortunately, due to the layout of the hotel rooms we only have showers. I will advise my staff regarding the service you mention and you are definitely correct about front desk being able to provide directions to local airports. I apologize for the inconvenience, because we do have directions stored in our computers and also have internet to look up the information. I am glad you were able to retrieve the luggage from the car service company. Please contact me regarding your next future reservation and I would be happy to accommodate an upgrade based on availability.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The front desk staff was disorganized and seemingly unconcerned with being helpful. I twice saw one of the girls push off the blame/responsibility for something onto her coworker. There seemed to be a constant line at the front desk where the staff couldn't seem to efficiently help the guests, so there was always a wait, and when we arrived to check in, we were barely even acknowledged before simply being told there were no rooms ready. My husband then asked the other girl at the front desk who said she'd check on our room and get back to us and we could have a seat while we waited. An hour later I asked again about the status of our room and was told it still wasn't ready because the carpets were being cleaned and that we could leave our bags with them if we wanted to go out for a walk or something while we waited. The storage room where they put the guests' bags was left wide open and not at all secure, so we decided to take our bags back to our car and leave them there while we took a walk. After still another hour or so we returned and had to wait in yet another long line of guests to get checked in, which in and of itself took forever because the staff couldn't efficiently work their computer.

After the drawn out check-in ordeal, we finally got into our room. The rest of the hotel experience was fine, but not much else. The lobby and elevator decor was meant to be modern but instead it seemed contrived and random. Our room was spacious enough but I suspect only because we'd been upgraded to a suit. The furniture wasn't really my taste but it was comfortable. The biggest disappointment about the room was that there were only 2 small windows in the bedroom, so there wasn't much light. Also when we got into our room, the carpet was still wet from the cleaning.

My husband is a platinum Starwood member, so we stay at Starwood hotels frequently, and I've always had great experiences until now. The hotel itself is fine, but there were too many negatives upon first arriving to make me want to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and your husband. As a Platinum Starwood member you expect to receive efficient and friendly service and we always try our best to deliver it, but I will address the concerns with the front office staff. I'm glad the front desk upgraded your room due to the situation and I would also like to extend a discount offer on your next stay with us. Please give us another opportunity if your travels bring you to the Brooklyn area. You may reach me at newston.reinoso@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com and I could assist with the booking. I ensure you we will make it right.

Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here to visit our daughter nearby in Brooklyn. The room was modern, shipshape and comfortable. It was quiet, clean and there was a plugin everywhere you would have wanted one. We thought more than one kid on duty at the front desk would've been better. There is another hotel next door, but everything else is under construction or derelict on the street. We stayed on the sixth floor and did not hear anything from the club up top.

1  Thank Birdish
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am glad you had a wonderful stay. We do schedule 2 Talent members per shift and an additional associate on the busier days out the week. I apologize if you had to wait for assistance. The downtown area is growing and as you mentioned there is construction in the area, but only Monday to Saturday and we have not receive any noise complaints from guests. We welcome you back to our hotel in the future when your travels bring you into Brooklyn.

Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Very very small rooms. They do make excellent use of the small space, but it feels like the walls are closing in on you. The carpet was dirty/stained & you can hear everyone on the floor. The snarky, snotty child at the desk was practically yelling at customers. If the room cost $100 I'd say it was good but for our "discounted" price of $250 it was not worth it.

It is definitely not up to the SPG standard.

• Stayed: October 2012
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience at my hotel. I apologize if you found our hotel rooms to be small, but we do compare to the average New York City hotel room size. We also offer suites, which are larger in size if you are interested for your future travels. My housekeeping department has one of the highest scores for cleanliness, but thank you for bringing to our attention regarding the stain carpet. I will ensure we re-inspect the room ASAP and correct anything we find not up to standards. Once again, thank you for the feedback and please contact me when you book your next reservation and I could check for an upgrade based on availability.