“Very clean and comfortable”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
San Clemente, California
“Very clean and comfortable”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Had a nice 3 night stay here. Like all Aloft hotels, the rooms are small, but comfortable. Impressed with the cleanliness. Service was mostly friendly but two of the front desk staff were a little annoying with a slight attitude, but others were friendly and pleasant. The neighborhood is okay, very working class and a few more homeless/ street people than I would prefer, but I generally felt safe. Had trouble finding clear directions for getting to the hotel from JFK by train/subway, and ended up taking the long way. Best way appears to be to take the Airtrain to Howard Beach, then take the A-Train (blue line) to Hoyt-Scherner... Station - exit station and turn right, then turn right at corner, walk two blocks, turn right, then left on Duffeld, hotel is on left beside the Sheraton.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Korean first
Ronkonkoma, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here at this Hotel for a weekend back in November for a family members wedding and we were very pleased. The hotel lobby is a decent size with a small bar on the side for drinks though it does not stay open too late. There is also a small little snack and coffee area in the lobby to buy some snacks or drinks. The rooms themselves are a bit tight but they are very clean and the bed was very comfortable.
-The location of the hotel is not the best, however, it is close to the SUBWAY into Manhattan. The Parking is not the closest to the building but I didn't find it inconvenient.
-The Hotel does have a club on the roof that has an exterior entrance.
-Overall, our stay went without any problems and we would definitely stay again if ever in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Aloft New York Brooklyn Hotel. The downtown Brooklyn area is definitely up & coming and has a lot to offer. We are walking distance to subway, Brooklyn Bridge, shopping, local restaurants and much more. I'm glad you noticed our W XYC bar which is open every day from 5pm to midnight. We do stay open a little later on weekends depending on the amount of guests. We offer snacks and other options for our guests to Re:fuel themselves throughout the day, which is available 24/7. Please be our guest again when your travels brings you to the NYC area.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We arrived earlier than the 3 pm checkin but there was no problem leaving the bags with the desk. We returned late at night and checked in (with no wait) by Jeanne, who took one look at us and made an extra effort to get us a quiet room.

The room was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We checked out in the morning and left the bags at the desk for a couple hours while we got breakfast. The checking out process was very long. People were dealing with more complex issues (can I extend my stay using points tonight?) and only two people were available to help them.

We really appreciated the extra effort taken to provide us with a quiet room. The hotel itself is well located...on a quiet street, close to many subway stations and walking distance to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Room Tip: We were given a handicapped accessible room on the 7th floor which was both quiet and a little bigg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marcia B
boston, ma
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband & I stayed here for one night & had a very pleasant time. Everything about the hotel was great from the moment we arrived. The valet and reception staff members were very friendly and helpful. The lobby renovations have been completed & its a fun, comfortable space. The room was big, especially by NY standards, the bed was great & the bathroom was comfortable & clean - the soap products smell wonderful. The small touches were impressive - they even had a recycle bin as well as a regular trash can - I love that! I had read reviews that made the location seem dodgy but it is fine, certainly not gentrified but seemed perfectly safe., Our group came back from a night out around 3am and went to a local deli for food - there were no problems and I never felt concerned for our safety at all. I would definitely say here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel is more like a high-end, over priced dorm building. The rooms are trendy, but that is the only positive thing to say about this hotel. To start, you will wait in a long line to check in (and check out). Do not accept a room any where near the top of the building because you will hear the music pumping from the nightclub. Expect to be overcharged by the towncars waiting out front to drive you somewhere, although there is a subway line at the end of the block. There is NOTHING within walking distance of this property. And finally, if you have to complain to the GM, he will do absolutely nothing to help resolve any problems. If you need to stay in Brooklyn, look somewhere else. The Wiliamsburg neigbborhood has some new hotels that just opened that blo this place out of the water. This place is for amateurs!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ev W
Timothy G G, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for staying at the Aloft and we are very sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory. Unfortunately the Management was not alerted regarding your experience and would like to discuss this further and find a resolution. I have enclosed my email address for your conveninece and we will look forward to your response.

timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com

Tim Gilbert
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

There are lots of positives to this hotel. Excellent facilities, rooms very clean/modern/comfortable, the bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up in the morning (!) and location is good - 3 minute walk to Metro Station which will get you in to Manhattan in 10 minutes.

However, the we felt the level of service was poor. When booking Aloft, I was charged 3 times for the booking - $1200! It took several telephone calls to finally rectify this although we ultimately lost more money due to the exchange rate. I tried to contact Aloft several times prior to my stay to confirm the booking and payment but I never received a response. During our stay, we found reception staff to be quite abrupt and not particularly welcoming. Perhaps that's the New Yorker way!

Not sure this hotel is for everyone - fun boutique hotel that caters for a younger clientele (can be noisy in the lobby but we liked that!)

Overall, and as I said, checked out of Aloft with mixed feelings...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mcmia97
Aloha,

Thank you for staying with the Aloft Brooklyn. We strive to provide awesome service to each and every guest. I have enclosed my email address to discuss your experience personally.

I will look forward to your email.

Timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com

Tim Gilbert
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 7, 2012

As a starwood employee I have worked and stayed in various starwood property's accross Europe and the US. I booked in for two nights with my friend and enjoyed the hotel. The fact of the matter is 9/10 when you come to NYC you don't want to spend all day in your hotel- but it's the best feeling in the world coming back to a nice, clean comfortable room and that's exactly what the Aloft provides. The subway is right around the corner and you can go all the way to main attractions such as Times SQ in around 20 minutes or so. The majority of the staff were helpful throught the two days, however, my biggest problem was contacting the hotel before I arrived- there seemed to be some confusion over 'in house reservations.' The facilities of the hotel are basic but good. There is an average fitness centre and the pool is ok- be wary of the opening times.

At the end of the day if you'd prefer to stay in the heart of the city you can end up paying through the nose for a cheap room without style or comfort. If you find a good deal then the Aloft brooklyn is perfect for people looking to explore the city!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Euan H
Aloha,

Thank you for the recent comments and I will share these my my talent. We strive to ensure great service to all of our guests. We look forward to your return and please notify us for any future travel plans.

Timothy Gilbert