“Nice room, staff and location!”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #21 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Edinburgh
“Nice room, staff and location!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

As a starwood employee I have worked and stayed in various starwood property's accross Europe and the US. I booked in for two nights with my friend and enjoyed the hotel. The fact of the matter is 9/10 when you come to NYC you don't want to spend all day in your hotel- but it's the best feeling in the world coming back to a nice, clean comfortable room and that's exactly what the Aloft provides. The subway is right around the corner and you can go all the way to main attractions such as Times SQ in around 20 minutes or so. The majority of the staff were helpful throught the two days, however, my biggest problem was contacting the hotel before I arrived- there seemed to be some confusion over 'in house reservations.' The facilities of the hotel are basic but good. There is an average fitness centre and the pool is ok- be wary of the opening times.

At the end of the day if you'd prefer to stay in the heart of the city you can end up paying through the nose for a cheap room without style or comfort. If you find a good deal then the Aloft brooklyn is perfect for people looking to explore the city!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Euan H
Timothy G G, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for the recent comments and I will share these my my talent. We strive to ensure great service to all of our guests. We look forward to your return and please notify us for any future travel plans.

Timothy Gilbert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend to burn some SPG points... and even on a free 3-night stay, I had to write a review.
I wrote a full review when I was at this hotel last night... But since you have to log-in and "accept" the terms and conditions EVERY TIME you get on your computer, i lost all I had written. One star less just for that... So much for a futuristic, forward-looking hotel.
First of all, I'd love to meet the genius that decided to schedule a lobby floor painting in the middle of the busiest weekend for hotels in NYC. Would have loved to post a picture of the lines of tired travellers waiting for 15-20 minutes for the SINGLE elevator these geniuses left working for a 25-storey building. This just tops my list on the stupidest things I have ever seen.
I liked the room itself and the design...baby W style... my wife did not enjoy the lack of coziness... and I echo the reviews stating that the connecting rooms are a nightmare if your family is not staying in the connecting room. We had 3 different neighbors all with different degrees of loudness, but we heard it ALL. Unfortunately, all 2 bedded rooms are connecting so beware.
We were on the 17th floor and did not hear the club music on our room, even though it was blaring on the hallway and the elevators had their own soundtrack (which was cool at 8pm, not so cool at 7AM while going down to get coffee). The gel floor of the elevators must have been cool at some point, but now that the gel is dry, it looks out of place.
The clientele of the hotel left MUCH to be desired, let's just say it was too urban for our taste, even for Brooklyn... With the consequential lack of manners and decent clothing that this entails...Seemed like a very transient crowd, in for the night to do who knows what. Not very pleasant to meet these characters on the elevator.
Location... you really have to have your orientation down right. Take a left out of the hotel, and you can walk through a nice redeveloped area called Metrotech straight to the the Jay St metro and Brooklyn Bridge/Heights/Waterfront... OR take a right and find yourself in the Brooklyn of movies... Amusing or scary depends on your attitude.
Staff at the front desk and in housekeeping were very nice though... and that made the stay bearable.
I really wanted to like this place, and be part of Brooklyn's renaissance... but for now, we are returning to Manhattan... Whatever it costs... Or maybe trying the Marriott on Adams Street which looked awesome!

Room Tip: Below 18th Floor, because of rooftop club noise. King Bed room as double rooms are connecting and no...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Timothy G G, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for being patient during our lobby Renovation project as we strive to improve all amenities for our Guests. I have enclosed my email address so we can speak further and hopefully we can accomodate you in the near future.

New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

To start, I had read most of the reviews through August 26th and was a bit nervous about staying at this property. So I called ahead and asked if the lobby renovations had been completed. I was told they had been and that there would be no work done this past weekend (Labor Day). We are SPG Gold and Starwood members and try to stay at said properties when we can.

We arrived on Sat. morning at about 1030 and were surprised to find out that we were able to check in! Excellent surprise. I had requested a lower floor based on reviews, and we were given the 8th floor. I had read you could hear music from the roof top club at this level - we could not.

The room was fine - again nervous based on reviews, but our king room was perfect for our needs. We were only basically going to be sleeping there, so it was fine. We had plenty of towels, our free water was in the room, we had hot water, and all other amenities were available to us. One drawback is the sound of the AC. I'm not picky, I sleep through raging thunderstorms, but this AC was a nuisance. When it was on it was LOUD. The way it cycled on and off made it difficult to adjust to. Oh, and doors closing on other rooms are loud. Other than that we found the room comfortable.

The front desk clerk who helped us was lovely. Gave us a subway map and showed us how to get to another part of Brooklyn for a tour we were taking. Couldn't have been nicer - she was the same young woman who helped check us in. While it wasn't busy when we arrived, it was several other times that we were in the lobby and I could suggest more help in that area on busy holiday weekends.

And this leads me to the reason I'm only giving 3 stars - the lobby. I understand that work may need to be done. I understand there is never a "good time" to undertake lobby work in a busy hotel. But after being told all work was done and access to the entire lobby would be available, we were surprised to arrive in the lobby on Sunday to find half of the very small lobby cordoned off, the food area inaccessible for drinks or snacks, and the bar area closed. Add to that a long line at the elevator, only one of three open and many people with luggage waiting to go up, and it's a less than appealing scenario. Never mind that I was told that this would not be an issue this past weekend.

Overall, I would stay at Aloft again. The price can't be beat and we were within walking distance to the Brooklyn Bridge and DUMBO areas, with easy access to the subway when we needed it. I just think Aloft/Sheraton could do better in this situation on a busy weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fixitswife

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hopeful for a w/Starwood experience but totally disappointed
The hotel Lobby was being painted on labor day weekend! It was chaotic, full of people trying to use the only working elevator the stairs were blocked off for drying paint
The painting contractor was rude and ungracious
The check in staff were very nice at least.
We were on the 9 th floor.....
Couldn't get an elevator down ...walked down 9 flights but couldn't access lobby because of wet paint!!!!
Our room was not serviced when we returned from a day if sight seeing... No excuse...
The bathroom had obviously flooded before our visit and part if the bedroom carpeting was still wet!!!
The shower control was broken and the air conditioning unit so noisy it was difficult to sleep.
Think twice before choosing this place.
The concept was good. I have stayed in similar type hotels in Europe and these really work.

• Stayed September 2012

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2012

After spending 2 weeks at the sister property next door and seeing the level of activity in the aloft lobby, I was excited to try out my first aloft on a subsequent Brooklyn trip. I was surprised to find that the lobby was torn apart and unuseable. No bar, no pool table... Bummer.

I think aloft can step up the fame on the suite front at this property. My room was a suite. The expectation set by the web site for this hotel is that the suites have balconies. If they do not all have balconies, that should be removed from the description. A suite is a comfortable area to relax.

The bedroom part of the room is stylish, comfortable and efficient. The bed welcomed me to slumber in true W/Starwood style. Inventive window covering, headboard with Brooklyn b/w and great lighting above each side. GREAT JOB.

The lounge is another story. The sofa in my room was an ergonomic disaster. Too firm and the back angle left you in an uncomfortable position. There were two tiny tables and no ottoman/coffee table, no artwork on the walls. No side chairs, two tiny side tables, no ottoman or coffee table... Tons of physical space, but it seems empty like a college dorm. It was not a sweet suite. I encourage Starwood to up their game on this front.

As for service, I had a couple things that were challenging for me. The front desk clerk was not as friendly as I would expect at any Starwood property. I like to be greeted promptly, and professionally. I really felt as if my greeting was lukewarm at best.

Checkout is noon, I had a late checkout and by 12:05 she was knocking on the door (disturbing in spite of the do not disturb sign on the door). We told her we were finising up packing. She knocked again less than 30 minutes later. As we left, she was outside waiting for us to leave.

I contacted the General Manager before posting this review. The response was rapid, and with great concern. We talked on the phone after my initial email. He stepped up and addressed my concerns and made sure I felt welcome and invited me to come again. I am completely satisfied with how my concerns were addressed.

While there were some hiccups, it is a great property... I look forward to seeing the newly remodeled lobby the next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Skip the suite and stick with the standard room. Stay away from the top floors if you are sensitive...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Comaaz
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I pre-paid for a room through hotels.com but when we showed up at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available and we were being moved to another hotel in Flushing which was a 25 minute cab ride away and not accessible by subway. Of course the hotel blamed hotels.com and hotels.com blamed the hotel but we saw three groups before us with confirmations who were turned away and two groups after us and I'm sure there were others. Clearly this was the fault of the hotel selling way more rooms than what they had available.

A move to a hotel in Flushing was completely unacceptable to us so after traveling three hours to get to this hotel we turned around and made the three hour journey home. What a waste of a day!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank n_baker8
Timothy G G, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your recent comments and sorry that you experienced our property at a sold to capacity situation on the Labor Day Holiday. I would like for you to come again and will offer you a discount during your next stay. I have included my email for contact and I am looking forward to speaking with you again.

Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is our second stay at the Aloft. We helped our grandson move into Poly Tech, which is a short walk away. The hotel is in a transitional neighborhood. There is valet parking but after the first visit it was just as easy and less expensive to take the cars right to the lot, which is just a five minute walk from the hotel. It seems that much of the remodeling work is done.... no alarms in the night, no hammering. ( We stayed on a Sunday night and checked out Monday morning. Maybe the work had stopped for the weekend.) The lobby floor was still being worked on and the fumes were awful, but when we got beyond the lobby there was no trace of them. The rooms are small, clean and have everything we needed. There is almost no closet space, so staying for more than a night or two might be a problem. We had read numerous reviews that mentioned noise from the nightclub but both times we have had rooms on lower floors, so the music was not a problem. The room-to-room noise is a problem, however. On our first visit we had a room that adjoined our daughter's room and that was great. This time our rooms were on different floors and voices from adjoining rooms were a problem when we were trying to sleep, especially since a couple of people seemed to be arguing. I'm sure we'll stay there again. It's convenient to Poly, it's clean, the price is good, the staff is very good, it's close to the subway... I'll try bringing ear plugs.

Room Tip: Get the on the lowest floor you can.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family