1,116 results
All reviewsnew yorkfront desk staffrooftop barfulton malljay stbarclays centerfew blockssubway stationlobbynycspghipvaletneighborhoodcabjfkdeli
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The Aloft in Brooklyn is a new hotel. It is near two two subway stops that will take you to wherever you need to go in NYC. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. We had a room with two full beds. The room was nice and even had a balcony. Only had a few issues. There was no storage for clothes except for a few shelves in the bathroom that closed with a curtain. I am use to having a closet to store my clothes in. The other issue is that the air conditioner was right in front of one of the beds and blew on my son all night. We just did not sleep good at this hotel due to the air condition. I had to keep turning it off so it would not blow directly on my son, so then the room temp. become to warm.
The shower area was very nice. The hotel shares the pool with the hotel next door which was very nice to be able to come back to after a hot July afternoon in the city. The hotel is very close to Juniors, which I highly recommend for breakfast. There is also a Juniors in Times Square. This hotel offered us an affordable place to stay in July in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear etzv,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience here at the new Aloft Hotel in Brooklyn. My staff and I appreciate your business. Just to let you know, we will soon install airconditioning dampers in the rooms with 2 beds so others don't experience that problem you had. We are aware and taking the steps to make the room a little more comfortable.

Thanks for the plug on Juniors too. The one in Brooklyn is the original and the food there is amazing. Thanks again and wishing you a great rest of the summer.

Bewst Regards,

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Cheerful lobby staff... even when facing a line 7 deep and there is only one of them. Bring patience. Loved the offer during booking of 2 complimentary drinks for staying during the months-long grand opening. Even though that offer proved to be vaporware at checkin. Which was ok, as the "bar" is literally a grocery store checkout counter with five barstools. Even though going out after dark in this up and coming area means take a cab, it is worth the bother to avoid the lobby experience. The double doors to the adjoing suites are unburdened by insulation, so at 11:20 pm I am sharing in the adjoining room's revelry, remonstrations, and yes... Wait for it ... The make up sex. Which although mercifully brief, was in full THX surround sound. The property is young and may shake off these struggles, but I bet on not. The staffing is too thin ("you get you own ice from the subbasement, so we can save on staff"; the aforementioned one desk staff at 7 pm, despite a line 7 deep). Rooms are tiny, but the clever layout means that in practice you won't notice it. On the plus side, the hvac is solid and the windows are tight. Bedding is almost Hilton standard. Water runs hot and cold as it should, and cleanliness is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank colinhtucker

Dear Colintuc,

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry our hotel wasn't for you and you didn't enjoy your stay. Reading through you review you say our bar is a grocery store check out counter with 5 bar stools and that there were 7 people deep waiting to cehck in with only one person at the desk? At any given time there are 2+ people at the desk working and the grocery store you described I believe is our grab and go area with food options for people to purchase. This is not our bar.

Again, I apologize for your experience. I truely wish I had known you were in house and upset so I could have made your stay more enjoyable. I do thank you for trying us though and thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience here with us.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

A friend and I stayed here and really loved it. The room was gorgeous and the staff was more than helpful. I left my wallet in a cab and the staff advised me on what to do, and I actually got it back! I can't thank them enough.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear DHB100,

I can't tell you how thrilled I am you were able to get your wallet back and that my staff was able to assist. They really do try to go above and beyond when a guest is in need.

Glad you liked the room and we hope you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Aloft. Thanks for taking the time to write a quick review on your experience, I will definately share with the staff. If you also know the name of the individual that assisted you in getting your wallet back, would love to commend them.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Great location in Brooklyn, close to amenities and Metro to get anywhere in Manhattan quickly without being in the middle of the melee.

We booked a twin Queen room and arrived for a 10 night stay to find nowhere to unpack to, except a couple of shelves in the bathroom. In addition there was no light in the wash area, we were handed a slip to tell us that at reception.

Air con worked fine but incredibly noisy.

1st night no sleep due to having adjoining doors to next room and the inhabitants having a bit of a party. Asked to move and told not a good enough reason to move room!! 2nd night was fine.
3rd night getting no sleep due to neighbours loud chatting which was bad enough then they moved on to loud adult bedtime gymnastics. Our 10th old daughter kept awake again.

Next morning went to comain and move to any room without those adjoining doors. Helpful desk guy moved us to another room, which also had adjoining doors. Back down to reception where he apologised and gave us another room. Guess what he once again picked a room with adjoining doors. You really couldn't make this up!

Housekeeping lady saw the distress this was causing and basically begged us to give this new room a go for the night. Well it was awful again and it's been a right struggle to get decent sleep.

On top of this saga, the advertised pool belongs to Sheraton next door and only opens 5-10pm if at all. On the three occasions our daughter has attempted to swim it was closed twice and on third time it was shut as lifeguard had gone to lunch, prompting this review as anger levels soar.

It's like talking to aliens trying to get info at reception, this 'hotel' is nothing more than a building with beds.

Not only will we never stay here again I will pursue our issues with Starwood Head Office upon return.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Room1406
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Dear Room 1407,

I'm very sorry to have read your review and on behalf of myself and my staff, we apologize for you not enjoying your stay and having so many issues. I can't offer any explanations for your issues, only apologies. I didn't realize my staff was actually telling you that noise is not a good enough reason to be moved. I've not heard of that going on as it is up to the guest to decide what they prefer. I will definately check to see who was working on the second day of your stay so I can see who it was.

I'm also going to have to investigate about the pool as we do not advertise having a pool at our hotel. If I knew what site you booked your room on I could better find out what they are telling our guests at the time of booking. While it is true all of our guests have complimentary use of the pool next door when open, it is by no means the Aloft's pool.

Again, please accept my apologies for your issues during your stay. I will share your comments with the entire staff.

Best Regards

Reviewed August 4, 2011

My father is recovering from major surgery but was ready for a Big Apple getaway with his wife for some R&R. I set up the reservation since I live in Brooklyn, and did a lot of research before I chose Aloft Brooklyn. I made the reservation over the phone before the property opened, but then visited the hotel upon opening and Jadie (sp) and Steve made sure the reservation was all set. I was anxious about making this trip great for them, so I also spoke with Karl about my folks' upcoming visit, and William Collins as well. In short, William made sure they had a super smooth arrival/check-in, and was nothing but friendly and helpful throughout their stay. Housekeeping was efficient and kind, and the bartenders and concierge gave service with a smile. The room was spacious and comfortable, and the various lounge areas and pool a welcome retreat. I've already spoken with William to plan another trip for my parents and my brother's family too!

Room Tip: Room on higher levels seemed quiet
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Dear bklyn1374,

We are absolutely thrilled the trip worked out and everything met to your satisfaction. Thank you so much for writting a review here on tripadvisor and thank you for the great comments on Jadie and Steven. I post these weekly for the staff to see and it's always a great morale boost for them to see thier names mentioned and know they are doing a great job.

Thanks for your business and we look forward hosting your family's next trip with us.