“Nice experience for my first NYC trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bruges
“Nice experience for my first NYC trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed in New York during the COTERIE fashion week, so I guess that's why the choice of hotels available at a good rate in MANHATTAN was limited. BUT: I don't have any regret that I've choosen the NU hotel in Brooklyn neighbourhoud !
The hotel: Very large room, modern, recently renovated. Ipod docking station, large screen TV, comfortable bed and large bathroom with shower. I was dissapointed about the breakfast... no table to sit and take your time but starbuck coffee and not much choice in pastry or food. But I guess it's normal in US, the "fast-breakfast".
The neighbourhoud was very nice, even if the prison was just in front. Police cars go in and out with much noice even at night...
With the subway it takes about 40 minutes to go to central park and 5th avenue area.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

My quiet (non street facing) 4th-floor room had one king bed, a tv, a little fridge with room for the neighborhood's fabulous takeout leftovers, and a long, narrow desktop that the swivel chair could run the length of. The cork floor was clean. The ethernet jack was right by the desk, and there was also wireless; no charge for the internet. A thermostat by the door controlled an AC unit under the window, but mid July was unusually cool, so running the AC made only a minor, but welcome, improvement. For a New York hotel room, it was amply large.

The tv did not work, so I phoned the desk and they sent an engineer up within minutes. It was a battle on three fronts, but in the end he achieved both picture and sound.

The front desk staff suggested a stroll around the neighborhood and across the Brooklyn Bridge. I also walked up and down Atlantic Avenue and Fulton Street. I found a neat laundromat with drop-off laundry service, and plenty of food options. The informal eater eats like a king in that neighborhood.

I never had to stand in line behind more than one person at the front desk. There were no surprises among the charges.

The area and the hotel also have rough edges.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank amturnip
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Nu Hotel from August 1st-5th, and for the most part our experience was great, especially for the price (we booked online and received the 'book ahead' discount). The location was a great base for exploring both Brooklyn and Manhattan -- you are a 5-minute walk to the F, G, A and C trains. The neighborhood is great too. Just a short walk south on Smith Street there are lots of great restaurants, shops and cafes.

We had a standard king room, which I would totally recommend -- it was surprisingly spacious, and like all king rooms it was on the quiet side of the hotel. As others have mentioned, the rooms are tastefully decorated, with mostly white decor.

I noticed the heat/AC issue that one of the other reviewers mentioned -- it was very warm in the hallways and cold in our room. However, there was a thermostat in our room, which was no trouble to adjust, and I imagine all of the rooms have a thermostat. Really, my only complaint about the room is that the blinds really did not block out the light, and we were awakened by the sun blazing through the cracks at 7 am. But at least there was zero noise!

The staff was friendly and efficient. My only other criticism is the breakfast, which ranged from mediocre (squishy white 'bagels') to completely under-stocked (e.g. no milk, no coffee cups). I let the hotel know about this in a post-stay survey, and based on their apologetic response I think this might be changing.

Overall, Nu Hotel is a bright, clean, comfortable, attractive hotel in an excellent location.

Western MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed in the large room with the queen and two twin beds. Our two kids (aged 6 and 3) loved the bunk beds and drawing on the chalk wall. Although noisy, I found that the air conditioner was perfectly loud and helped to stop outside noise- most notably, police cars and vans entering and exiting the building across the street. We love the area and were easily able to find places to eat and walk around. The staff were very friendly.

For how much we paid, (250+ per night) there are a few things that seemed silly. For one, in an area where there are fantastic small cafes, restaurants and bakeries, to offer such an awful breakfast is not worthy of the hotel. There was not even milk for coffee. When we went down the first day, we were told to use the skim milk from the cereal bar for our coffee and the second day, the same skim milk and now, no bowls for eating cereal. No big deal I guess but, when we asked, the staff on hand shrugged and didn't do anything about it. Maybe we are supposed to learn to drink our coffee black.

Second, some of the features in our room were a little quirky. The reading lights were wired to the same light switch as the main lights. So, while you could turn the reading lights off and on, if the main room lights were off, then none of them worked. With little kids in the room, that meant that they either had to go to bed with all lights on, or we all had to sign off together! Lastly, and most funny, the TV is nice and comes with many channels, however, the television hangs from the ceiling and from no vantage point in the room, can you view it without a partial obstruction from the sizable hanging lamp that floats over the table. It is ridiculous! No sitting in bed and watching the news or a movie- a half domed light hangs directly in front of the screen. Reminds me of how I used ot stand in front of the TV to annoy my little sisters!

So- it is nice but I think fixing those little things would go such a long way toward making it so much better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

The rooms are very modern, with off-white cork floors, huge windows, streamlined storage, flatscreen TVs, etc. I particularly liked the bathroom design -- there was plenty of room to manage all my supplies. Nice clean white tile all over the bathroom, large mirrors. The bed was comfortable. Nice (and plain) window treatments. Our room included a small refrigerator. The staff was very friendly, although at times a little bit overwhelmed. We would recommend this hotel, but here were the (somewhat minor) problems -- the A/C in our room was deafening when it was on. It cooled very well, but you almost had to shout to be heard over it. I'm assuming this is not normal and can be fixed. The hallways were not air conditioned at all, so the contrast was a little shocking. Our TV had some major color imbalance and we couldn't figure out how to fix it. The coffee offered at breakfast is very poor. There is a hanging light fixture that seemed to hang right in the way of the path from bathroom to closet. However, we would not hesitate to stay here again, thought the price was about right, and the neighborhood is a lot of fun. My husband liked the workout room, and we loved Smith Street.

Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

So my wife and I just returned from a trip from Brooklyn. As two Designers, we were naturally drawn to this beautifully modern boutique hotel. The staff here is young, friendly, and very hospitable. Additionally, the rooms were quite lovely - if you like the all white modern thing ( I do ). The location between Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope was phenomenal, with easy access to several subway stops and some excellent dining and shopping within walking distance.

The only real spoil was one of epic thermal proportions. We went in August when the average temperature was hovering in the high 80's. While the lobby was always quite comfortable, the hallways were very hot to say the least. The rooms, however, were an ice chest, with no visible way to adjust the temperature (perhaps we just missed it). It seems like if they dumped half the cold air from the rooms into the halls everything would be just fine. This was compounded by a cooling system that sounded like a diesel-powered lawnmower starting every half hour. We were startled quite often in the middle of the night by this little number.

Overall we had a positive experience despite sacrificing some minor temperature and noise comforts. The street volume that others complain of was actually quite pleasant, though we're accustomed to city noise. In my opinion the location, service and decor certainly trump these negative quibbles. We would likely stay there again.

20036
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were very pleased with this simple, modern hotel in Brooklyn.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple