“My favorite hotel in Brooklyn!”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“My favorite hotel in Brooklyn!”
Reviewed April 25, 2009

When I go to NYC I prefer to stay in Brooklyn even when I'm going to be in Manhattan most of the time I'm there. I've stayed at a couple other hotels in Brooklyn (Marriott, Hotel Bleu) but this is by far my favorite. The rooms are airy and bright, spacious feeling, clean, with a nice modern simple aesthetic. The bed was comfortable and I slept well despite the street noise (which didn't bother me). The staff were so sweet and friendly and helpful! There's a place to work out/exercise, although I didn't really check it out; and there's a perfectly fine complimentary breakfast with really good Starbucks coffee and scones and other carbs, juices, and apples and oranges. The rooms have an iron and mini ironing board, a fridge and mini bar, wirelesss, and great TVs. The neighborhood is fantastic. You can walk down Smith Street or Court St or Atlantic Ave and find a billion cool stores and restaurants within the first few blocks! The subway into Manhattan is a block away and it's a quick ride. There are lots of different subways stops and bus routes, as well as a car service, right on the corner or nearby. I loved grabbing (more) breakfast at the corner restaurant St Clair- decent Challah french toast, poached eggs on whole wheat, etc. The ambiance reminded me of Seinfeld but more diverse. But there are more gourmet and hipper restaurants right down the street if you want. I got a really good rate (maybe because they had just opened?) of $130 a night but I'll always stay there when I go to NYC now, even at a higher rate - that's how much I loved it. I prefer staying in a neighborhood where you are in the midst of shops, local restaurants, and residential streets, to being in Times Square, even though you can get better deals on hotels there with Priceline.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Geena2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Hebrew first
NYC and CT
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My wife and I spent a quick night at the hotel. We were out late on Friday night and checked out Saturday morning, so we didn't really spend a lot of time in our room. We booked our room through travelzoo, where we got the hotel's promotional rate for the month of April, of $129 a night, which was a great deal in NYC over Easter weekend!

Every Aspect of the hotel is uber modern with a minimalist musem-esque style of design, which is not my style per se, but was a refreshing and unique hotel experience. We stayed on the second floor, looking over Atlantic avenue. The room was spacious with high ceilings, and cork floors, which look like concrete at first but are warm to walk on. All the fixtures are brushed steel and high quality, but in a few instances you could tell that they were poorly assembled; like in the bathroom, where the bath fixtures were loose and coming apart. The bed we slept in was a queen and is low to the floor in the minimal boxspringless style. I was a little disappointed in the mattress. I slept well overall, but felt a little like I struggled to keep from rolling to the middle of the bed all night, and since the hotel is brand new, I would expect this to only get worse. Every other aspect of the room was great, from the huge flatscreen TV on the wall, to the giant shower head with plenty of hot water for a nice long shower.

The staff was friendly and the front desk is very casual with courtesy internet service adjacent to check in. We didn't wake up in time for the breakfast, unfortunately, so I can't comment on that. As we were leaving Saturday night, I saw a group of guests hanging out in the lounge near the front desk with a couple of bottles of wine they brought with them. I think that says something about the casual nature of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington, VA, USA
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I just got back from a weekend stay at the Nu. Couldn't have been happier with the hotel. The room was huge and very well decorated (assuming you like the minimalist look). Every employee I encountered was super nice and helpful. Lots of good bars/restaurants nearby, though the neighborhood is still a bit sketchy in parts. I got a great deal via Travelzoo but even at rack rate the place is a bargain. I'll definitely stay there on my next trip to town.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
New Haven
Reviewed April 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed here last weekend with our friends. They got the small room, we got the suite for approx $100 more. They were the last two rooms available. Both rooms were clean, white and minimalist in decoration but somehow artistically interesting. They were nicely equipped with everything we wanted; large bathroom, big mirrors, plasma TV, night lights, blackout shades, refrigerator, coat closet and ample storage. The sliding windows did a good job of blocking out the loud street noise but some still bled through. The lobby is small and austere and the parking garage is conveniently next door, adding $25/night to the cost.
This Hotel is located in a wonderful area. Walking one block up Smith St brought us to an amazing array of restaurants, shops and brownstone apartments that was nothing short of delightful. Smells of bakeries, nut shops and coffee shops made it difficult to pass more than one block without sampling something. Restaurant choices presented a similar quandary. Spanish, Japanese, French, Chinese, American; it's all here!
Back at the hotel, I want to give special mention to Nicole at the front desk. She went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. When we got home, I realized I left a small duffle bag in the room. Nicole happily found it and overnighted it to me. What a doll!

1 Thank ditdoy
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Stayed 4 nights attending a family wedding in Brooklyn, the hotel was just a few blocks from everything we needed. We took the F train at Bergen/Smith streets (3 short blocks) to Manhattan for tourist stuff.

Got a great rate $130 incl. taxes through lastminutetravel.com.

The hotel was much more than I expected for the money, the rooms are ultra modern but have many things that $300 a night hotels in Manhattan lack such as an in room fridge, a HDTV, free wireless, free breakfast (which was actually quite good) free computer to use in the lobby etc.

We asked for a quiet room, thanks tripadvisor (not on Atlantic) and were given one with no issues. Others in our group faced Atlantic and did not have quiet evenings with city traffic running on a main artery right outside. Parking was $25 a day right next door with no in/out privileges.

There is significant activity at the jail directly across the street but nothing to worry about.

All in all it would be my first choice if staying in Brooklyn and probably NYC if it was my dime.

2 Thank AMcTravel
massachusetts
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I stayed at this hotel a 2nd time. The stay was nice, but upon returning home I noticed that they billed twice for the same room. I called and the denied they did, but after being on hold for 30 minutes with Visa, they said they hotel did in fact submit the charge twice (which they removed). Also don't be tricked by booking a room with booking.com. The prices they quote are without the tax and any fees (which are not mentioned until you receive your confirmation). It's a rather deceptive business practice. I booked a room at $132, and wound up paying $154, which was more than the total quoted on Expedia.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank newtonmatraveler
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed there last weekend. Our room was large and very comfortable and we got a great price directly from the hotel. We stayed there to attend a family event in Brooklyn, but would recommend it as a spacious, affordable alternative to Manhattan hotels (there are a number of subway stations within walking distance). It is also conveniently located for a number of Brooklyn attractions, and there is a large number of good restaurants and shops within walking distance. Free wifi and and a very nice free continental breakfast in the lobby.

2 Thank Steve K