NU Hotel
  • Breakfast included
$200
$193
Agoda.com
All reviewssmith streetdetention centerchalkboard wallurban suiteboerum hilldowntown brooklynnew yorkbagelscontinental breakfastatlantic avecourt streetgreat areastreet noiselobby barcarroll gardensfront desk staffparking garage
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My husband, baby and I stayed at NuHotel for two nights. The furnishings are very stylish and the gym was pretty good. We found the staff to be very helpful in person, but housekeeping failed to clean our room to our satisfaction - they didn't take out the trash (which included a pizza box and some dirty diapers) or put things like the iron, blow dryer, etc. away. The room only had a couple of towels and no washcloths, so we had to call up for extra towels twice. Also, my morning shower the first day was lukewarm.
The included continental breakfast was definitely a step above - good coffee and pastry.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Went for valentines weekend with girlfriend. Fantastic! Very simply, beautifully designed rooms. Very comfortable, high ceilings, fun chalkboard in the bathroom, very friendly and helpful staff, great pastries and starbucks for breakfast. I was very impressed by the FACE soaps and shampoos, much better than aveda or whatever. If you have class, you'll know this brand. Overall a great experience, and will definitely be back.

After reading some other reviews, I think people need to understand that this is Brooklyn. This is a city, not the countryside. There will be noise. People need to understand that, and understand that for a fantastic, peaceful hotel stay in NYC, this really cannot be beat.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I love the location - it's in a wonderful part of Brooklyn, close to great restaurants and multiple subway lines. However, the hotel was quite disappointing. The rooms are cheaply constructed and contain the bare minimum. Also, the parking garage was right under my room so every time a car went on a lift it made a screeching noise, a loud bang as it stopped, and then the entire room would shake. This happened day and night as the garage is 24-hour.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank desquite
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My fiance and I wanted an early Valentine getaway and it was great to share this experience at the Nu Hotel. As soon as we walked in we were greeted and front desk told us everything we needed to know about our stay and what was included at the Hotel. The room was extremely clean and neat!!! Everything we needed was there and if it wasn't room service came right up to our room quickly and professionally.

We also was given a recommendation of restaurants to eat and it was incredible!! The next morning we ate breakfast and it was excellent. The service was absolutely great and very professional. I will definately return to stay at the Nu Hotel. I will also, recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

I want to say thank you to the staff for making our stay comfortable and great!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vccarrion
Reviewed February 11, 2009

From initial appearances this is a very attractive hotel. Spacious rooms, HDTV, free internet, promising location, etc. Look closer though and you will see that the Nu Hotel is festering with problems:

(1) Noisy
Having read prior reviews on Tripadvisor I knew in advance to request a room that did not face Atlantic Avenue. We paid a bit extra for an interior King room on the Smith street side. Noise from the street was not a problem. Unfortunately, noise from within the hotel was a major disturbance. The soundproofing in this hotel is very poor, particularly for brand new construction. There was a larger than normal gap between the front door of our room and the doorframe--meaning that any noise from the hall went straight into our room. Also, we were bothered by bizarre whirring noises coming though the walls. We called the front desk, who sent up an "engineer" to diagnose the problem. The engineer explained that the noise was caused by an adjacent room turning on its water (which made the water pipes vibrate). This same noise was also a problem when we moved to another room.

(2) Wet
During our stay water began leaking down from the ceiling of our room. It started slowly and increased in volume until it became a steady rain. I'm not sure what caused the leaks. It hadn't rained recently and we were in a room on the top floor (which ruled out clogged drain in room above us). The leaks were not isolated to our room because I heard another guest yelling at the front desk person about it.

(3) Nonresponsive
Another guest whose room had also suffered water damage gave the front desk an earful about what had happened. I decided to try a different tactic. Aside from requesting a new room, I kept quiet to see how the hotel would respond to this unusual situation. It turns out that this was the wrong approach. The front desk didn't apologize, and other than switching us rooms didn't offer us anything to make up for our inconvenience. A hotel with better customer service would have said something along the lines of "We are terribly sorry and embarrassed about the leaks in your ceiling. This has never happened before and we are working on fixing it. Please accept this free upgrade to a different room." Instead, they said nothing. We were left to speculate about what caused the problem and whether this was an isolated incident.

Other problems:
Breakfast pastries were of industrial, inedible quality.
Shower rack was broken (in two rooms).
Rooms lacked garbage can in bedroom (receptacle in bathroom only).
According to hotel website, rooms include "Aveda bath amenities" and New York Times. Not true.
$14 dollars for cocktails is ridiculous given that the "Nu Bar" = a few stools tucked into the corner of the lobby. The Ritz Carlton Battery Park charges $18 for a cocktail, and with that you get to sit in a plush lounge while looking out at the Statue of Liberty. At the Nu Bar you get to look at the back of the reception desk and suck bus exhaust fumes. http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/31/40/31_40_sp_nu_hotel.html

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business