“Can't wait to return”

NU Hotel
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 31, 2009

My husband and I had to travel to New York at short notice. Our son has proposed to his New York girlfriend and was getting married within 10 days! We booked our flights no problem but I was finding it difficult to get a hotel within our price range which didn't have bad reviews. Then up popped the Nu Hotel.

What can I say - it was excellent. The staff were the most helpful and friendly I have ever encountered. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them. A special mention must be given for Alvin Torres the chief engineer who sorted out our television and heating. What a lovely guy! We had just returned from Spain at Christmas where the staff were rude, off-hand and the apartment was smelly and dirtly, so we really appreciated the good service we received.

The rooms were lovely - large, comfortable and cleaned to a high standard every day with clean towels. Don't pay any attention to petty comments made by other reviewers. The location was good - lots of restaurants on Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue.

I visited a beauty salon, Providence Day Spa, just round the corner to the left, 329 Atlantic Avenue,and had a fabulous facial with hand and foot massage with Mara - I can highly recommend to anyone who, like me, likes a bit of pampering.

I am loath to complain about anything, but I do want to give an honest report. We had a room on Smith Street and the noise from the traffic was quite bad - I don't think they have double glazing. I wear ear plugs at night so I had no problem but if you think it might bother you then you should ask for a room at the back away from Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue.

By the way New York is fabulous - we were there for 7 days so had a chance for a holiday as well as the wedding.

As our son is now living in New York and I can't wait to return.

4  Thank Pender1gast
There are newer reviews for NU Hotel

Reviewed January 25, 2009

I"ll begin by saying Nu Hotel was great eye candy but that's where it ends. This is a very modern and trendy hotel that seems to be a little lost to the most basic amenities. For example, they don't have an ATM on the premises, they don't offer room service, the so-called "Nu Bar" is actually the lobby, they have thousands of channels most of which they are not subscribed to. The list goes on but who has that much time. I will end on a positive note, the staff is super friendly and the hotel is very clean. I just think they might want to work out a few kinks and it will be a great hotel.

3  Thank BrooklynNYCgirl
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I have NEVER written a review for anything online. I am way too lazy. Yet I forced myself to get on my computer to share my experience. I LOVE Nu Hotel. Everyone is super nice and very polite. The morning breakfast is crispy yummy croissants, fresh fruits, good coffee/tea and OJ. The hotel is super new, modern and clean. We are Brooklyn residents that had house troubles so we stayed here for a few weeks with no complaints.

3  Thank np241
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Cool hotel, reasonably priced - for NY City standards.

Rooms are good sized -huge by NY City glorified walk in closet size standards.
Staff is friendly and helpful. Nice amenities, free continental breakfast. Subways are close by, but save yourself the time and money an discover the neighborhoods.
Queen Marie restaurant on Court Street has fabulous Italian.
Soul food joint across Atlantic Av. is fun as well
Plenty of outstanding dining on Court and Smith streets minutes away. Nice bars on Atlantic.

Place has a distinct 'feel', perhaps a little too forced but no big deal.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Axel S
Reviewed January 6, 2009

There is no denying that the NuHotel looks amazing. It has a fun fresh image that begins on the first page of their webpage. Unfortunately, the execution of this image-project falls far short of what is to be expected at a hotel at this mid-to-upper price point. I have stayed at over a dozen NYC hotels in this range (e.g., Hotel Giraffe; Soho Grand; various Kimpton hotels) and this was the worst by far.

I stayed for three nights in January 2008, with my family (6 people divided into two rooms). Let me start with some good things. The rooms are very large by NYC standards, and also very clean. The beds are excellent. The housekeeping was very good. There is reasonably priced ($25) parking at an independent lot next door. The continental breakfast was above average. And the location is a lot of fun.

The problems start on the web page. Clicking on the description of the rooms, one finds pictures and descriptions of rooms with names like "Urban Suite" and "Friends Suite". But, on the hotel booking page, there are different names, like "Executive King" and Alcove Suite". I called the number on the main web site page, and told the woman who answered my call that I had some questions about their rooms and asked if she could help me or direct me to someone who could. She said very politely "I can transfer you, but first, can I ask: How did you get my number?" She was surprised to find out that her number (I believe she was a group sales manager) was listed as the main hotel number on the web page.

In the rooms, there are so many "thoughtless details" that suggest that function was not part of the planning process. Some have been mentioned here already (e.g., in the Alcove Queen, aka Friends Suite) room, the large shower, with a cool-looking ceiling mounted showerhead, must be entered to turn on the water (using a lever mounted on the *back* wall), placing any bather with arms shorter than 4 feet directly under the initial cold water stream. Ooops. Also in the shower, there is a wire basket mounted on the wall to hold shampoo, soap, &c. The separation of the wires of this basket is about 3/4-inch, and the bottles of shampoo and the bars of soap that are provided are a bit thinner. Ooops. In the Alcove Queen, there is a window ledge that can replace the dysfunction of the basket, but in the Standard King (I had two rooms, for my family stay), there is only the basket, so the soap and shampoo bottles find their home on the floor.

Two more examples that made us grin (I say grin, because all of these things seemed so silly that our reaction was amusement not frustration): The Alcove Queen - billed as a "friends suite", has a queen bed and bunk (twin) beds, so sleeps 4 comfortably. Yet, the bathroom has no door. Beyond the doorway to the bathroom, there is a sink/counter "dressing" area along with the aforementioned shower (which does have a door) and a WC (which also has a door). But, upon exiting the shower, one is standing in the open doorway of the bedroom. This gives the phrase "friends suite" a whole new meaning, and is certainly problematic when some of the bunk-bed occupants are teenagers.

Finally, in the Alcove Queen, there was a big show of giving us a high-tech Sonos Music Player, to take to our room with a sheet of instructions for using the Rhapsody song library or for accessing internet radio stations. Our collective technical expertise failed (we thought), so we asked the "engineer" to come teach us how to use it. He tried for a while, and concluded "I guess it doesn't work - do you have an iPod?"

Which leads to my last comment. The staff are all friendly enough but were barely competent. They seemed to know very little about the hotel. They were however, like the hotel, uniformly beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank wakeupcall
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I found the hotel to be modern, stylish and more in tune to what the modern traveler requires.
Pristine, clean and comfortable room with great amenities. The ipod dock is excellent and a great idea.

If I had any complaints one would be the shower. Although excellent once you are in, it is impossible to turn the shower on without getting wet (and cold) - certainly for the room with the bunk beds.
Continental breakfasts are great - good quality pastries and coffee.

The other strange thing was that although paying for the room, upfront entirely with cash , an unknown amount was reserved from my credit card.

Other than those two annoyances, I would definitely return to this hotel and recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank bonobo_slr
Reviewed December 10, 2008

What can I say, a clean hotel, excellent staff, quiet, nice breakfast (especially Bill the breakfast guy) great products in the bathroom, quality linens and products. Close to 2 major metro lines, also to cool Brooklyn neighborhoods

A definate for NY travellers who dont mind an easy 20 minute subway uptown and like to walk around local neighborhoods

Excellent and will return for sure!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo