“Lovely boutique hotel in downtown Brooklyn.”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This lovely hotel is carefully decorated (local artists, your own chalkboard if inspiration hits), located close to multiple subways (F, G, A, C, 2, 3, even the 4, 5), and is very well priced (it even offers complimentary breakfast). We stayed here for my sister's wedding, and the staff was friendly and helpful - from handling the arrival of multiple packages, offering champagne while she was getting ready, and directing guests who were a little lost. The rooms were large for New York standards, and the beds were comfortable and featured high quality linens. One star off for the very noisy heating/cooling system - we had to keep it off in order to sleep. But otherwise, a lovely experience and highly recommended.

Room Tip: The suite has a hammock!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Varina27
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

What a great review, thank you so much! Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, and we are always honored to play a tiny role in a family's special weekend. Hope to see you again on your next trip to BK!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Nice stay for 2 nights in an Urban Suite over MLK weekend. Hotel location is very good. We walked from hotel to cross Brooklyn bridge with our 5 and 8 year olds, walked around shops in vicinity, caught taxi to Williamsburg and had dinner at Peter Luegers, attended Brooklyn tabernacle choir (definitely very different).

Hotel is nice, but is in desperate need of a face lift. Suite was reasonable size. Expected finish on furniture to be less worn. Chalkboard in bathroom and hammock in room is definitely interesting touch. Staff are good and helpful, although their knowledge of local area felt a little limited. My internet stopped working on both iPads on our second day and staff could not fix it. Continental breakfast served was excellent and family enjoyed the overall stay.

I would definitely return but only after the planned renovations/facelift is completed (early 2014 I think).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kezzareview

Thanks for your review, both the positive and the negative. We are undergoing that much anticipated renovatoin as we speak, so your next stay will certainly reflect our brand new property, no more scuffs or worn furniture. We will continue to work with our team on area knowledge; training is always a work in progress and we like for our agents to be ambassadors of the neighborhood to our guests. We will continue to learn and grow and will be excited to welcome you on your next visit. You will be blown away by the changes, I guarantee it! Please feel free to reach out to me directly to book your next trip, gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have stayed here several times, and find it much more pleasant than Manhattan hotels.
1. The rooms are nice, recently renovated and modern-looking. They are larger than hotel rooms in Manhattan. Beds are relatively low to the ground, with good linens.
2. The price is significantly lower than Manhattan hotel rooms. However, they seem to be raising their rates. It's a good value at $175. But if the price goes much above that, I would look elsewhere.
3. The hotel is on Smith Street, which has great restaurants and lots of nice shops. 1 block up is Court Street, the main drag for Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill, one of the nicest neighborhoods in New York, with tons of funky stores. It is a 7-minute walk to the major subway hub in Brooklyn, where 8 different subway lines stop, and a shorter walk to the F subway line.
4. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful.
5. One minus is that several of the rooms have extremely loud heating/air conditioning units (room 323 was one). When I have gotten one of these rooms, they have been able to move me.
6. Another minus is that you either have to park on the street, or at the garage next door, which is $50 a night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Calvinosaurus
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to see you enjoyed your stay. Our rates do fluctuate from night to night, so while we may not always have the rate you mention, we will always do our very best to provide you with a great experience and a great night's sleep. I will have my Engineer check out the unit in the room you were in last, just to make sure it's functioning properly. We can note your profile as well if there are particular rooms that you prefer over others; that way you'll never have to change rooms again. Please feel free to email me directly at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com with your details. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Friendly and welcoming staff, location of parking garage is a plus (next door literally), and convenient to several subway stops. Most importantly, ask the bartender to make you a "Christina." You'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Right to the point...I like it! Thanks for your review, glad to see you were happy. I trust we'll see you again soon? We'll have Christina ready to mix you a "Christina"! ;)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I can't stress how wonderful the staff is here at Nu Hotel. This is our second visit to the area since visiting family in Brooklyn . The staff is so helpful, they feel like family as well. Since it was Christmas some relatives decided to mail a few gifts to the hotel for us. One arrived after we left but the staff held onto it until a family member could retrieve it.
We find the inside rooms quieter and that makes all he difference in our stay. It also is an easy walk to the subway stops.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smileyeye

I will share your comments with our whole team, this is just how we want every guest to feel! For the time that you're with us, our goal is to make you feel as comfortable as possible. I'm happy to see that we did just that. Thank you for letting us know...and come home soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I sold my apartment in the neighborhood and needed a place to land for a few day with my dogs before my new apartment was ready. They made my dogs and my family so welcome, if felt like an extension of my new home.
Next time I have family in town, I will book them a room there. Great boutiques hotel great local art,clean, great staff and pet friendly . It just what makes Brooklyn the best borough in NYC.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Your last sentence sums it up! I've said something to that effect a few times on this site myself..Brooklyn IS the best part of NYC. We love introducing our guests to the art, music and style of Brooklyn, and making it feel like home no matter where they are from. It's a great compliment that you feel confident in sending your friends and relatives to stay with us, so thank you. We promise, we'll take good care of them! And just because you're not staying with us, don't forget, you can always pop in for a cocktail in our lobby bar. See you soon!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at the NU Hotel for a week in one of the three suites. We didn't need the hammock and it was removed for us. We loved the space of our room--a corner room--and with the new renovation it will be even fresher and nicer. We had 40 guests stay with us for a weekend wedding in Brooklyn. The lobby and breakfast was a beautiful and convenient way for us to meet, talk and have breakfast. The hotel desk staff was very helpful, professional and friendly. The chief engineer helped immediately with a safe problem. Housekeeping was very good. And it is pet friendly so my brother was able to bring his aging small dog with him for a $100 fee….and not have to go to a different hotel. The location is excellent as there are many excellent restaurants nearby. Wedding venues closely--The Green Building and Frankie's Sputino. Crib very nice.

Room Tip: king rooms have a little more space and allow for cots and cribs. Three corner suites on Smith St si...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Neil M

Lovely to read that your stay was so pleasant...to be a part of a family's celebration, even such a small part, is a treat for our staff and I'm so glad that you and your group enjoyed your time with us. We hope to welcome you back very soon!