“Great staff, great location, great breakfast, great free bikes!”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed at Nu for one night and it was unfortunately too short. We had an amazing time. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel is in a perfect location to visit both Brooklyn and Manhattan and, best of all transportation-wise, the hotel will let you rent these GREAT FREE BICYCLES!! Bike rental is very expensive in Brooklyn so this was obviously a great deal, we took them into Manhattan and back with no problem. The breakfast is great, more choice than expected. Great design too. If you are extremely sensitive to these types of things, you might notice some slight, slight wear and tear in the rooms. All in all a great stay and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wheretonextvoyage
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

We appreciate the great review! We certainly know that bike rentals can be quite expensive. That's why we decided to provide bikes complimentary for our guests for the last two years. Best of all you get to ride around in style as they are designed and made locally by Brooklyn Cruisers! Thanks for the note on wear and tear. We have an extensive Preventive Maintenance program and do our best to keep the hotel in tip top shape. I'm pleased to report that we are currently gearing up for a full property refresh in January 2014. The hotel is coming up on 5 years of age. There's simply a natural need to refresh the hotel by this time. The selected design looks fantastic and I'm confident all of our guests will LOVE the upgrades! We hope to see you soon in Brooklyn!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a hotel with character, alright! Completely done up in shades of white, it is an interesting decor they have gone with.

The staff was incredibly polite and helpful at all times. The hotel is very easy access of downtown shopping at Brooklyn, some great restaurants, and an easy sub-ride away to various parts of Manhattan.Cabs aren't as common as to be hailed, but it is simple enough to call in a cab should one be required.

The breakfast spread is filling, though tends to get a tad repetitive. The rooms are medium sized, but very comfortable. The hotel being located at the intersection of very busy streets, it is a little noisy at times. But what the heck...this is NY and the city was never meant to sleep!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the great review! Looks like you understand Brooklyn and what it has to offer from this one visit! We're really pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall experience. Totally agree that the city never sleeps but we always make to make sure our guests get a chance to! We installed double pane sound proof windows a few years to ago to help minimize the street noise and it has worked extremely well and almost eliminated all guest concerns. My apologies it was noticeable on this visit. We'll dispatch an Engineer to ensure the seal is nice and tight on that room so no other guest is effected. Thanks for the feedback and we'll see you soon in Brooklyn!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is one of the few nice hotels that can actually sleep your kids in a real bed. My daughter liked the bunk bed. Floor was cork. bathroom large, but only a curtain separated the main part of the bathroom from the bedroom. amenties were nice. wifi worked. No ipod dock. Complex sonos system for music that didn't work. nice big tv. nice small dining table to eat/relax at. could use an armchair instead.

Room Tip: book a room with a bunk bed. they're roomier than the standard
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience! You're speaking of our Friend/Family Suite. It's certainly one of our most popular suites. I completely understand with regards to some of the quirks in the room (curtain, sonos, etc). I actually agree and that's why we're revamping the offerings in the room in our property refresh that's taking place in January 2014. All the items you mentioned will be addressed. This is the feedback we need in order to make adjustments to our guest needs and requests. I appreciate the honest review and we look forward to having you back! Please feel free to reach out to me directly to arrange your next visit.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you strip aside all the marketing hype about boutique-this, new-age-that, hip-and trendy-etc-etc., Nu Hotel is a very nice place to stay in Brooklyn for relatively not a ton of money. I kind of liked the lobby, where the check-in, check-out area consisted of two computer workstations set up at a high desk in the rear part of the lobby. But when you came down for breakfast you could walk behind the desk on your way to and from the elevator. The lobby also has a smallish area where you can sit and order food. And there's an outdoor seating area. While there are certainly a million places to eat in Brooklyn, we were tired and hungry when we arrived and it was pouring out. The Misdemeanor tapas selections hit the spot. The rooms aren't as swanky and stylish as they might appear on the Web site, but they're perfectly functional. The bathroom is well designed, with separate doors to the toilet area and the shower, the beds and linens were nice and overall the rooms are bigger than you'd get in most NYC hotels. The people at the front desk were extremely helpful. They gave everyone umbrellas, hailed cabs in the rain, etc. The breakfast was pretty decent. One thing to note: The rear of Nu Hotel overlooks a jail -- yes, an actual city jail with the attendant sirens, flashing lights. So, try to get a room that overlooks Smith Street.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nealwBoston

Thanks for writing such a detailed review. I'm please you enjoyed your overall experience. I have shared your review with the entire team at NU. We truly appreciate the comments on your dining experience. We know there are a ton of restaurants nearby along Smith Street. We focused on providing something small and adequate for travelers who just want to stay in at night. Sounds like it certainly hit the spot! We hope to see you again soon in Brooklyn!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel, for I enjoy more trendy, boutique hotels. However, it was VERY noisy. You heard the cleaning staff from 9-5 in other rooms, plus there was loud banging (from construction?) The drinks at the bar were horrible, and the bed was too soft.
On the positive, the wifi was free and speedy, the outside lobby patio is nice, and the location is pretty perfect. I might give it another shot, especially with the location -- but otherwise I don't feel that I got my money's worth.

1  Thank zurich72

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. After reading this review we held a meeting with the entire Housekeeping staff to address the noise concern. We requested they and all team members be cognizant of the noise while in public spaces. I'm confident this was an isolated incident and we will ensure this is controlled moving forward. Our Food & Beverage offering typically will receive great reviews. I have alerted our Master Mixologist to your comments. We will look to re-train our Bartenders and ensure we are always putting our best foot forward. Please feel free to email me directly at info@nuhotelbrooklyn.com so I can personally arrange your next visit. We would love the opportunity to show you what we're really al about.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I decided to book a room with Nu Hotel after finding all hotels in Manhattan had exorbitant prices for my selected dates. I thought, well its really cute and close to the subway, so why not try something new! Basically, I had pretty average expectations and needless to say, I was so pleased with the property, staff and overall experience that I am here writing my first review to share!

Upon arrival, our room was not quite ready (we were a little early), but not to worry - their lounge/lobby is inviting and comfortable. While we waited (a whole 10 minutes) Christina at the bar was setting up and promptly offered us beverages. The fun news was that it was also happy hour! While we waited and enjoyed some bubbly, Paris at the desk took our bags without even a prompt and had the bell service take care of them so we would not have to worry and could just relax. We checked into our room and quickly returned downstairs to enjoy a pizza before heading out for the evening. The food and drinks were one of the pleasant surprises and favorite parts of our stay. It is the type of place I would go to if I lived in the area for a drink and nibble after work. Great value and Christina was so charming and helpful.

The room itself was spacious, comfortable and quiet. The room had great amenities and none of those stiff hotel linens. We particularly liked the rain shower head in the bathroom! The only comment I have is that I did not particularly like the way they have the lights and switches wired. The main overhead light in the vanity is the same switch as a main light in the "bedroom" area. If you are waking before your travel companion it makes it difficult to get ready without torturing them with bright light while they are still in bed. Another odd lighting situation was that the reading lamps above the bed were wired with another main overhead light. So, its that whole "trying not to bother your travel companion" thing.

Overall, the staff is what really sets this property apart from other hotels. They provide personal service and they obviously have fun. Unlike corporate hotels, you feel as though they really care about every aspect of your experience. The afternoon we were heading to the airport it happened to be pouring rain which thwarted our original plan to take the subway to JFK. I asked Casey at the front desk if she had any suggestions for getting a car service. She spent the next 20 minutes calling multiple contacts to find an available car for us. When the service was over 15 minute late, without hesitation, she ran out across the street to secure us a cab.

I will most definitely be back and hopefully can catch their live music wednesdays as well! Thank you for the great experience Paris, Casey and Christina!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nycaboo

Thanks for the fantastic review! I share all these reviews with everyone on the team and this one in particular is the epitome of great service. We strive for excellence day in and day out. Great service without the stuffiness is what we like to have our guest experience. We call it Brooklyn Love :) I agree with the wiring in your room. We have reached out to an electrician to take a look and get that resolved. Makes complete sense. This is a perfect reason why we need reviews like these. We hope to see you again soon in Brooklyn! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly so I can arrange your next visit.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I almost gave this review a Very Good, and it very nearly is. Location is super convenient. I have stayed in Brooklyn many times over last 10yrs and I like the proximity to all the subways lines and always abundant taxis on Atlantic.

The hotel has upbeat air to it, trendy, but not toooooo precious. Breakfast was basic--help your self and at times a little crowded. We were lucky that weather was decent so we could sit on sidewalk area adjacent. Of course the view was of Brooklyn Jail Central Processing or something like that. Constant stream of cop cars, which probably means location is super safe :-)

Bed test: Comfy bed but slightly aging linens. We had clean crisp sheets but a torn blanket and a mis-shapen duvet cover. Nice pillow variety--4 for a queen bed.

The Air Conditioning in the room was very noisy, then again how often do you need AC in Brooklyn?

The corridors echo sounds from immediate area and they doors close very loudly if you don't watch out. But all in all the noise factor from city was minimal.

Service at desk was exceptional during 5 night stay, so I appreciate that consistency. Employees answered every question and provided Far Above Average Service.

I absolutely would go back and might mention that a little renovation $$ would be very well spent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience. The details are appreciated. It appears a large percentage of your stay was enjoyable. While average is better than a negative review, I expect above average results from the team at NU. We strive to be the best not only in Brooklyn but in NYC. While a renovation and refresh is scheduled for early 2014 it does not stop us from keeping our current product up to par. I have shared this review the entire Housekeeping staff and we'll certainly make the adjustments necessary to ensure our linens remain fresh and crisp. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future.