“fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kiel, Germany
“fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I booked my room through one of the online discounters as a last minute deal and was pleased to get a room for half what I had been paying earlier in the week. The staff was extremely friendly...very clean hotel, tastefully done, and comfy beds. Would definitely stay there again! It had a European feel to it...breakfast wasn't that elaborate, but at least they had breakfast included. It was also very easy to park on the street overnight for free...the whole street was empty, so I didn't use the parking garage next door...which as everyone knows...can be kinda pricey in NYC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night to see a concert at the Barclays Center - outstanding! The room was big (standard queen) with a big bathroom. I love that the room had no carpeting. From the minute we pulled up the staff was so friendly and really wanted to help make our stay perfect. Recommendations and directions were spot on!! We' loved it so much we booked a two night stay in December.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IrishLass2006
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel very much. Check in was fast and efficient. Since I was traveling with a toddler who was not originally a part of the plans I was a bit concerned that the hotel would not be good for kids, but I was happily proven wrong. I asked them about a crib during check-in and it was delivered to my room quite promptly. The crib was a standard-issue metal hotel crib, but decorated with lovely crib bedding, making it seem special. They even had a little baby blanket in it, very thoughtful.
The room was well decorated, with a sleek and modern look. It was happily spacious enough and with enough open floor that it was easy to fit the crib in a good location. One detail about the room I liked was the hard floors-- no dubiously clean carpeting here, these floors were obviously clean. The room was finished with some very nice touches, such as an honor bar with local snacks and candy.
It was late evening when we checked in and I was just about to try to figure out where to get dinner when I looked out the window onto the main street and saw a soul food place right across the street. Perfect! We did a quick run there, got take-out packaged in less than 5 mins, and ate back up in the room. Great ribs!
In spite of having windows that looked out onto the main street I found the room to be very quiet, with minimal (and normal for the city) street noise. My light sleeping toddler slept peaceably throughout it. My ed was really comfy-- I loved the clean and crisp white sheets and duvets. There was an awesome body-length feather pillow which made sleeping with a sore back a breeze.
The complimentary breakfast the next morning was good, with kid-friendly yogurt and hard boiled eggs. I appreciated the relaxed self-serve atmosphere.
Overall our two night stay was very pleasant. When we left the hotel desk people were able to book a car service to take me to the airport. They were successful in getting me a car with a carseat already installed; they were incorrect however about the cost of the car service and that it took credit card (but I think this was the fault of the driver not being honest, rather than the hotel's problem).
So, yes, I'd recommend this place to you, dear fellow traveller!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank J F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We stay here to visit family and for what you get, the price us excellent and the rooms are wonderful. They are on Atlantic avenue, a very busy street but with special glass you don't hear much of the traffic. The courtyard side of the hallway is much quieter, however. Breakfast is included and always good.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Cystokid
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thanks for the great review! This coming from such a seasoned traveler and TripAdvisor veteran makes it that much better. Yes, we do have double insulated windows on Atlantic Avenue & Smith Street. This was a great improvement we made some time ago and the results have been fantastic. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future. Safe travels!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Nu Hotel for two nights in Sept 2012. From the moment I arrived I knew it was going to be a great stay. The staff was ultra-friendly and knowledgeable with recommendations on dinner spots and directions to different locations. We really enjoyed the bicycles that they had (Brooklyn Cruisers) to get around to different spots. The hotel & rooms are decorated with a really nice feng shui feel (it just makes you feel good when you walk in). The room was spotless and very nicely appointed and VERY CLEAN (my biggest pet peeve is unclean hotel rooms). The beds were just incredible and very clean. I felt very comfortable in the room and slept great. Every last detail was looked after (even having umbrellas in the room to use). We were traveling with an Infant and the crib was even set up for us in the room when we arrived. Again, its the details, cleanliness, atmosphere and incredible staff that make this hotel fantastic. I highly recommend Nu Hotel and plan on staying with them if my business or personal travel ever takes me to the New York City again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Rzknow
Thanks for the fantastic review! We really pride ourselves in giving our guests the authentic Brooklyn experience. We're very pleased you enjoyed your overall stay. I have shared your review with the entire team at new and praised them for a job well done. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to me again for your next stay. I would be more than happy to personally assist you. Thanks again!!
Maplewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The personalities of the staff at NU alone would get me to return to this lovely boutique hotel in the future. Check-in was fast and easy, and I was even able to grab a cup of Brooklyn coffee and a homemade cookie on my way to my room!! With a location right on Smith Street I was close to everything mainstream in Brooklyn from some of my favorite shops such as Lucky Brand to a quiet coffeehouse where I could grad a latte after working out in the hotel gym. (Which even has boxing gloves for those of us who are self-proclaimed MMA stars.) Although work was being done to the building next door, I never heard any noise during my stay. During the day, upbeat, feel good music was played in the lobby, and at night I could've heard a pin drop it was so quiet. I needed extra towels and they were brought to me right away without delay by a lovely and polite gentleman on staff who later again inquired if I was enjoying my stay or if I needed anything. I had heard that Brooklyn was the place to be for that New York City experience, but I had no idea how incredible it would be. My friends and I cannot wait to stay at NU again this fall!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathena24
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thanks for the outstanding review! We're pleased we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We work hard to go above and beyond with our service and product. Looks like our efforts don't go unnoticed! We'll see you again soon!
Fairport, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

David K and I shared the room, and there was not a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door because there was not a "Do Not Disturb" sign in the room to put on the door. After we called to let them know that the room was not clean and that we needed fresh towels, we also asked them for a sign! When the towels were delivered, along with the sign, they had to go get more because two sets of thin towels just wouldn't suffice for late night showers and then again for morning ones. Even then, instead of bringing hand towels, they brought two shower mats. At least they were thicker than the towels.

Now, some positives: great location, quiet rooms, and a chalk board to write notes on (though not to the cleaning staff!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn7771
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thanks for writing about your recent experience at NU. I completely understand how not having a DND sign can sour your experience. It's absolutely unacceptable that the room was released for sale without this very important piece. I will personally meet with the entire Housekeeping Team to ensure they understand the importance of the 'basic' expectations from our customers. It appears you enjoyed your overall stay as this was the only reported concern so I'm pleased the experience was not entirely a negative one. I hope we have the opportunity to have you back as our guest. I would welcome the opportunity to show you what we're really all about.