NU Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Tillary Hotel(Brooklyn)
  • Room Service
All reviewssmith streetdetention centerchalkboard wallurban suiteboerum hilldowntown brooklynnew yorkbagelscontinental breakfastatlantic avecourt streetgreat areastreet noiselobby barcarroll gardensfront desk staffparking garage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The personalities of the staff at NU alone would get me to return to this lovely boutique hotel in the future. Check-in was fast and easy, and I was even able to grab a cup of Brooklyn coffee and a homemade cookie on my way to my room!! With a location right on Smith Street I was close to everything mainstream in Brooklyn from some of my favorite shops such as Lucky Brand to a quiet coffeehouse where I could grad a latte after working out in the hotel gym. (Which even has boxing gloves for those of us who are self-proclaimed MMA stars.) Although work was being done to the building next door, I never heard any noise during my stay. During the day, upbeat, feel good music was played in the lobby, and at night I could've heard a pin drop it was so quiet. I needed extra towels and they were brought to me right away without delay by a lovely and polite gentleman on staff who later again inquired if I was enjoying my stay or if I needed anything. I had heard that Brooklyn was the place to be for that New York City experience, but I had no idea how incredible it would be. My friends and I cannot wait to stay at NU again this fall!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathena24
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thanks for the outstanding review! We're pleased we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We work hard to go above and beyond with our service and product. Looks like our efforts don't go unnoticed! We'll see you again soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

David K and I shared the room, and there was not a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door because there was not a "Do Not Disturb" sign in the room to put on the door. After we called to let them know that the room was not clean and that we needed fresh towels, we also asked them for a sign! When the towels were delivered, along with the sign, they had to go get more because two sets of thin towels just wouldn't suffice for late night showers and then again for morning ones. Even then, instead of bringing hand towels, they brought two shower mats. At least they were thicker than the towels.

Now, some positives: great location, quiet rooms, and a chalk board to write notes on (though not to the cleaning staff!).

1  Thank Dawn7771
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thanks for writing about your recent experience at NU. I completely understand how not having a DND sign can sour your experience. It's absolutely unacceptable that the room was released for sale without this very important piece. I will personally meet with the entire Housekeeping Team to ensure they understand the importance of the 'basic' expectations from our customers. It appears you enjoyed your overall stay as this was the only reported concern so I'm pleased the experience was not entirely a negative one. I hope we have the opportunity to have you back as our guest. I would welcome the opportunity to show you what we're really all about.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having reading the reviews on this hotel I have to agree that the range of reviews and the comments are right on. Tried to check late afternoon but room had issues that needed to be fixed. People were nice enough I just dont think there were enough staff. Room was cool but due to construction I truly had a room with a riew. A view of scaffolding and sandbags with a jail across the street. But the good news is the room had good windows and didnt pick up street noise, smith street is right next door and I felt safe, and rate is reasonable for what you get. So bottom line cool place, but very average on covering the basics like smooth check in. Also other reviewers said the breakfast coffee was good. It was ok but mistake by having no fresh cream, only the stuff with the preservatives in tiny plastic container. May seem minor but it makes average coffee bad. Again staff nice enough people. Just dont seem to have systems done that make it operate smoothly.

Room Tip: not on second floor where scaffolding is set up
2  Thank Jagurundi
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience at NU. Please accept my sincere apologies not being able to provide you with the best experience possible. Yes, there is work being done on the exterior of the building that unfortunately is not under our control. The good news is that the scaffolding is scheduled to be removed by the end of this week. I will share your overall comments to with the entire team. Our goal is to create that 'WOW' factor for all of our guests. We clearly fell short on your stay but will certainly get better in the future. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you what we're really all about in the future.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

There are few hotel choices in Brooklyn. This absence of competition allows mediocre performance to persist. The NU hotel is just that – very mediocre. It is a well-designed place but management is average. Housekeeping neglected to clean our room on the first day. Room needed a paint job and didn't feel altogether that clean. No accommodation of any sort was offered a time to check out. Hotel has great possibilities. It just needs better management.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thanks for the review. This is exactly the type of feedback we need in order for us to get better at what we do. We only wish we would have had an opportunity to address your concerns. It appears there was a do not disturb on the door on the first night of your stay. We take this very seriously and never disturb or enter a guest room when the guest has left this on the door. When made aware of any inconvenience we certainly do everything we can in our Service Recovery efforts to ensure a guest leaves 100% satisfied with the experience. We look forward to potentially having you back as our guest. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally so I arrange your next visit. I guarantee we will succeed in our mission in turning a mediocre experience to a memorable one.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

This i one of the coolest hotels in new york, and i have stayed at many , once the prices come down this hotel will be the talk of the traveling world, esp for those looking for a room in new york city , u go brooklyn nu is it for me.

1  Thank vacardo
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thanks for the outstanding review!! We also think we're the coolest hotel ever :) Glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back!!