“Brooklyn Heights great local hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Brooklyn Heights great local hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

Very unique and a lot of local flavor. The lobby has been remodeled and the computer for printing boarding passes has been moved. The staff is always friendly and helpful. We stay here frequently visiting family.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Cystokid
Lauren I, Assistant General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. Here at Nu Hotel we strive every day to represent the local community in the art we display, the music we play and the ambiance we provide. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice when visiting Brooklyn! Hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Without a doubt the best thing about this hotel is the value. I spent almost half of what my colleagues spent at other hotels. The lobby renos are now complete, so there is no issue there. Central booking is across the street, but as common crime is more likely than a prison escapee causing harm to you, it had no effect on me. The rooms were decent and fairly spacious for a ny area hotel, however street noise was a slight issue. Well I can't place what it was, the room felt sterile or just plain for some reason - perhaps the plain colored walls. I do note that I had just arrived at nu from hotel Georgia in Vancouver, so even the plaza might not have been that impressive at the time. Overall, it got the job done, and I would return, but only if it was one of the cheaper options.

Oh yeah, some people had negative comments on the hotel being in the relative "middle of nowhere" - short walk (2-3 min) to the trains solved all problems and cabbies either know the hotel or the well known institution across the street.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CANDVD
Lauren I, Assistant General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your feedback and we will be taking these items into consideration. Improving the guest experience is our ultimate goal and we want you to be completely satisfied with your stay. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly with any more concerns or opportunities. Thanks again and we do hope that you return for another visit.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here on the recommendation of a friend that lives in the area. We stayed in the "Friends" room which is bigger than most and has bunk beds in addition to a queen. After getting the recommendation I researched a little and going in was concerned about two things... 1) noise from the Brooklyn House of Detention across the street; 2) having no bathroom door. First, you could hardly hear a thing in that room. The 2nd set of windows must have been installed since the other reviews. Super quiet room. No safety concerns about the detention house. It was very interesting watching the operation, actually. 2) Also since other reviews they installed a curtain between the room and bathroom so there was privacy. There is a door to the water closet, btw. The room as big for NYC, a great value, and the included breakfast saved us real money. The location at the corner of Smith and Atlantic is awesome. 3 blocks to the subway and just a few stops before you're in Manhattan. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Friends Room is great. Fits a family of 4 quite well.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LonoChapelThrill
Lauren I, Assistant General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are extremely happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay! The Friend Suite is such a fun room and I am happy you found fun with the view! We look forward to your next stay and let us know if we can assist you in any way.
mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

The nu Hotel in Brooklyn on Smith St. is a great hotel. The staff is friendly, the hotel is clean with excellent bathrooms, and the garage next door was convenient and effecient. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival, which was a most pleasant surprise. We were visiting with family in the area and the hotel was a wish come true.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank painter012
Your review truly brought a smile to the faces of the entire team! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and please reach out to us directly if you need any assistance planning your next visit to Brooklyn.
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I was in Brooklyn for a business trip and stayed at the NU. I am a single female traveler. I wasn't surprised by the lobby remodel due to trip advisor reviews ~ and I don't spend much time in hotel lobby's so it wasn't an issue for me. Also, yes, this is across the street from a detention center, but nothing about that really bothered me - it would have if that had been my view (which it wasn't). I was on the 4th floor looking out over Atlantic Street - I would recommend that, I had a nice view of the bicyclists commuting to work in waves out my window in the morning and sun in the afternoon.

I was here during the week and it was quiet at night. The only things I heard were the gal next door to me's clicking high heels when she came home once and both nights some drunk guys coming home after 2 am (everything in the hallways does echo and the doors are loud - kind of like staying in a dorm). The bed was fine, but not lush and comfortable as you would find at nicer hotels. The room was clean, but lacked that extra something of cleanliness you find at a nicer hotel (there were a few dark hairs scattered about which always grosses me out). Room was big for the NY area which some people like, small rooms never really bother me. Ironing board was a small countertop one, not great for ironing business clothes, but it worked. Good size tv with HGTV is always a plus for me. Breakfast in the 'lobby' wasn't much to speak of. I ended up walking to a coffee shop (Cafe Pedlar) the second morning since the weather and neighborhood (if you go towards Cobble Hill) were so nice. [Cross Atlantic on Smith, go right on Dean, left on Court].

As a business traveler what I really liked is...
-There was a dorm fridge, it was stocked with mini bar items (which I didn't use), but there was room for me to put my yogurt in for breakfast (there is a Trader Joe's a couple of blocks up Atlantic and other smaller grocer's nearby - big plus!) - no silly fridge sensors like you find at some hotels.
-I also loved that I could open my window a bit and let fresh air in - helps me to not feel trapped in my cell when I'm on business trips.
-Lastly, I loved that everything was so walkable from this hotel. I particularly enjoyed Cobble Hill - Nothing trendy about it, but there is a lot at your fingertips ~ restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores for water runs, etc. You can walk to Dumbo (about 20 min) and over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan (about 3 miles to SoHo). Cab ride back from SoHo was $11.

Because this is NY area, I guess the price was ok, but it was expensive and I would expect something a little better, or to pay a lot less ~ but again, it's NY so what can you do. I am sure there are a lot worse places, and for Brooklyn it seemed fine to me. Would I stay on a romantic get-away? Probably not. Would I stay again if I was in town for business in Brooklyn? Probably.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Atlantic, not Smith. 4th floor is top floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank bealocal
Lauren I, Assistant General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your review and we truly appreciate your feedback. I have taken all of your concerns back to my team and we are making changes as we speak. We have recently started insulating the doors to eliminate the noise which has changed the guest experience substantially. We have taken your suggestions about our bedding and have a few things in the works that will add a touch of luxury. We encourage detailed reviews so that we can get better. We do hope that you stay with us on your next trip to Brooklyn and please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly to address any other concerns with your recent stay or if you need any assistance with planning your next trip.
West Islip, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary with a trip to Brooklyn Tabernacle. Location was ideal for us, room was nice, we both slept well. Noise was minimal to non-existent as our room overlooked the courtyard. Staff was courteous and friendly. Good restaurants all around the area. We had a great weekend!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crosby19
Lauren I, Assistant General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you so very much for the wonderful review. Thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us and we wish you many more years of love and happiness! We look forward to your next stay and please let us know if we can help you in any way!
Santa Ana, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I recently got an email from this hotel asking to sign up for their rewards program (whatever it's called - frankly, I didn't even read it because I'm so disgusted with this hotel). I am posting this review a year after our stay to give you an overview of the customer service we received AFTER out stay.
We stayed here for a weekend when our friends got married in Brooklyn. The rooms are small. I guess that's what you expect in New York. It wasn't a memorable stay - just a place for us to sleep. I wanted to stay at the Sheraton, but everyone else was staying here.
We had an early flight back to Los Angeles on Sunday; left the hotel at 6:30 am.for the airport. Upon coming home, I realized that I had left my Chi hair straightener and Blackberry phone charger. The Chi hair straightener was purchased the week before the wedding for $200 at Ulta Store in Huntington Beach. The charger belonged to my company as I have a company issued cell phone.
I called the hotel first thing on Monday morning and spoke to the receptionist. She checked with lost and found, but no one was in at the time. It was 7:00 a.m. my time, 10:00 a.m. their time and no one was in yet. Ok, whatever. So I left a message with the lost and found AND hotel manager. By 3:00 p.m. PST, no one had returned my phone calls. I called back again and got the same response, so I left another message for both lost and found and the manager.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, still no return phone calls. I called everyday and was told nothing was recovered. I asked how is it possible that we left on Sunday and I called Monday morning and nothing was recovered. I finally spoke to a manager on Thursday who never apologized for not returning my phone. He said, "We looked in lost and found and nothing was found. I don't know what to tell you." I was so surprised and appalled by his response. I said that I would call BBB and complain about their housekeeping staff stealing items left behind. He quickly responded by saying that he would credit my hotel stay with the amount I paid for the hair straightener. I told him that I would fax him the receipt, but he would only give me the lowest amount listed on the internet which was $150.00. I asked for the phone charger to be reimbursed ($50), but he said he would send me one from their stash of chargers. I got the charger a week later and it was the wrong one. At this point, I was over the whole experience.
I will never stay here nor would I ever recommend it. The customer service, after your stay, is absolutely horrible. The hotel manager needs training on better customer service and the staff needs training on how to be honest and turn in items left by guests. Overall, 0 stars for his hotel. Why stay here when there are hundreds of other options in New York/Brooklyn?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends