“Visit Brooklyn to see the real New York City”
Review of Brooklyn Museum

Brooklyn Museum General Admission
Ranked #14 of 258 things to do in Brooklyn
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Brooklyn Museum is one of the largest art museums in the United States and one of the premier art institutions in the world.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Get out of Manhattan and enjoy the life and culture of Brooklyn from the museums, farmer's market, Prospect Park, the great restaurants of Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Williamsburg.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"subway stop"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The permanent collection includes Egyptian, African, and Oriental art, as well as recreated houses from Colonial times. Rotating exhibits are world-class, including most recently, a stunning selection of Sargent watercolors. There are children's art classes year round. My children loved it when they were young; now they are old enough to appreciate it differently.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have often visited NYC and gone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which I love. Visiting cousins gave me an excuse to visit the Brooklyn Museum as somewhere new. It was a wonderful choice. Unfortunately/fortunately we couldn't see it all because some exhibits were under renovation, but what we saw took all afternoon. It just gives me reason to go back. Smaller than the Met, but beautifully organized and manageable, I was highly impressed by the Egyptian and Middle Eastern permanent collection which is in some areas (Assyrian reliefs) better than the Met. The temporary exhibits "Connecting Cultures: A World in Brooklyn" and LaToya Ruby Frazier's photo exhibit were superb, also Raw/Cooked by Caitlyn Cherry, the Decorative Arts Galleries, Life, Death and Transformation in the Americas, and the Divine Felines: Cats of Ancient Egypt exhibits. Getting there from CT was easy using my GPS navigation. Parking was easy and had plenty of room at midday on Friday. There is no admission fee, though there is a suggested amount to pay. There are elevators so you don't have to use stairs to visit all 5 floors. There are any number of choices for food in the area, from the museum cafeteria to lots of interesting restaurants in this gentrified area of Brooklyn. It is also located immediately next to the Brooklyn Public Library, a must-see piece of Art Deco design, and the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens which are also a world-class venue. The Museum and its neighbors would make for a wonderful and different starting point for a visit centered around Brooklyn rather than Manhattan. I don't think anyone would be disappointed in spending a few days exploring all there is to see in the borough.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have always chosen to stay in Brooklyn when visiting New York and every time the Brooklyn Museum is on our list of what to see in New York. Each time it lives up to our expectations and more.The museum has a wonderful section on Egyptology which though much smaller than the Metroplitan's exhibition is great to revisit again and again. What is marvellous about this museum is that it has from time to time a number of special and new exhibitions. I would have liked to have seen more of the other new exhibits but had unforseen time constraints.

On this visit I was able to really enjoy only two of the new exhibits. The first was "The Dinner Party" which I had never heard about and would not have been drawn to see it if it had not been for my 17 year old grandaughter who enthusiastically urged me to view it with her. I thank her for educating and introducing me,this 70 year old grandmother, to this brilliant exhibit, a unique and important piece of feminist art by Joan Chicago. I believe it is to be a permanent exhibit.

The other exhibit we saw runs until August 18, August 2013 was entitled "Gravity and Grace:Monumental Works by El Anatsui" was just as brilliant and unique in its own way. This artist from Ghana using waste recyclable material creates huge 'curtains' which are used at building sites to screen the unsightly multistory scaffolding. It is mind-blowing to see what beauty he creates from 'waste'.

Brooklyn Museum will always be a 'must see' for me when visiting New York it never disappoints.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013

There are times when I'm set on seeing a certain exhibit and other times when I'm just wandering. I visited the museum as an excuse to beat the high temperatures during the heat wave. I also wanted to see "The Dinner Party," a piece of important feminist art that I studied in college. I was so excited to find the piece that I didn't realize there was an introduction outside of the space that holds it. There are also laminated booklets you're allowed to borrow and use while looking at the piece that explains who each of the 39 women represented at the place settings are and why they were chosen. I highly encourage anyone who's making a trip to see this piece to use this information. There is also a diagram showing the order in which to view the entire piece and I wish I had taken more care to follow it. Nevertheless, it was great to see the piece in person and each place setting is so unique and detailed. Also stop by an iPad located near the introduction to the piece to learn even more about each woman featured. It's definitely worth spending some time out of your visit experiencing this piece!