“Friendly, pleasant, and full of hospitality.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sofia Inn

The Sofia Inn
Ranked #11 of 55 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
“Friendly, pleasant, and full of hospitality.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Sofia Inn has friendly and helpful staff. Our Garden Room apartment was amazing and more spacious than expected. The back garden was full of beautiful flowers and wildlife. Three local subway stations were close and many fabulous restaurants available. Ny has so much to see and do that this was one of our best vacations ever.
Thanks to the hospitality we received at Sofia Inn, this is a place we'd like to return to in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Adberry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Sophia Inn is a beautiful, old building, but do not let that fool you. It did not occur to me to ask whether or not my room had its own bathroom, but apparently I should have. For some of the rooms the baths are shared, and they smell rank and nasty. I opened the window shutter and it fell off the wall and landed on my foot. I tried to bold the door between my room and the bathroom and the bolt slid off completely. When you are in the shared bathroom you cannot lock the door to your room, so security is a concern. The building is beastly hot in the summer, with window units in the room but boiling hot hallways and stairwells. The fridge in my room still had the half eaten groceries of the previous inhabitants. The owner is oddly invisible: there is no reception desk, only a small office upstairs. Even when you are in the building, you communicate with him by phone or email. I have stayed in places like the Sophia Inn while traveling on a shoestring as a student, when I was willing to put up with uncleanliness and discomfort. But if you want privacy and comfort, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cookie1545
Thesofiainn, Owner at The Sofia Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am sorry that this particular guest did not enjoy her stay at The Sofia Inn. We made every effort to make her comfortable and happy.
We clearly post on our web page the rooms that share a bathroom. She acknowledged in an email seeing this, but stated that she would have liked us to somehow (orally? email?) state that the bathroom was shared. It has never been a problem with any guest before this.
The window shutter did break while she was here. She did not say a word about this--or any of her other complaints.
The charge about her lock on the door that leads to the bathroom is false. It works fine.
As I told this particular guest, I and my assistant Celeste are on the premises at a minimum 12 hours per day, usually more. She met and spoke to both of us face-to-face numerous times. I do not at all understand the charge that we are "oddly invisible."
The fridge in her room had water bottles that we supply the guests, free of charge. It had no uneaten groceries.
The bathrooms and hallways are cleaned and mopped on a daily basis. They smell quite nice.
I acknowledge honest criticism (see above re: shutter). I do not acknowledge falsehoods.
We run an honest business, and we are extremely proud of our positive reviews and the fact that many of our guests return and recommend our inn to friends and family.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Made a reservation here as we decided on short notice to stay overnight in Brooklyn for a family event. Great location just north of Prospect Park and room was nicely appointed. It was a great value and very comfortable for our stay. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JJPod
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is our second visit to New York. A friend suggested that we stay in Brooklyn (we stayed in Manhattan last year) and recommended the Sofia Inn. I am glad we listened to good advice. This lovely hotel is situated in a great neighbourhood, close to restaurants and bars, the new NBA arena (we saw the NETS -totally worth it), museums, the Brooklyn Academy of Music, parks and landmark buildings. Getting into Manhattan and everywhere else was pretty easy -subways got us everywhere fast. That was a plus.

We stayed in the South Room as it was the only one available at the time of booking. It had a double bed AND a single bed (good if you have a kid). We didn’t need the extra bed but the rate was reasonable so we took it before it was gone. The room was cosy and homey, cleaned daily and fresh towels every day. Billy was an always-helpful host, ready to give advice and suggestions on what to do or where to eat and how to get around whenever we asked him. Celeste, the housekeeper, is just so cheerful. Both were friendly and reliable and they made our stay pleasant.

My husband and I felt safe walking in the neighbourhood. A lot to see and experience. We especially loved Prospect Park. We have fond memories of Brooklyn and Sofia Inn and will definitely return and recommend both the neighbourhood and the hotel to our friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Uma A
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights and after a long trip from the UK we were delighted with such a comfortable and large room in which to relax a little while before we went out to explore the neighbourhood.

The room we had was on the top floor overlooking the gardens and was a nice bright room, decorated just to my taste ( very similar to my own bedroom, so truly a home form home!) it had it's own kitchenette, with table and chairs, cooker, fridge, freezer, kettle, coffee machine and microwave, so if you did want to eat in, you could, plenty of crockery and cutlery provided.

As stated when booking it has a shared bathroom, which was also great, and sharing was not an issue for us, i would much rather share a bathroom and have such a large room to relax in and the kitchen.

Billy and Celeste were very friendly and chatty interested to help and listen to where you ahd been, Celeste also kept the rooms tidy and it was spotless when we came. Billy even organised our return trip to JFK.

The location is fantastic 3 minutes from Grand Army Plaza subway and right on the main street there are lots of restaurants and Bars to choose from serving fantastic food at very reasonable prices.

Rather than feeling like I missed out from stayin in Manhatten I feel our trip was enhanced by staying in Brooklyn, the pace was slower and quieter, the prices cheaper and the open space made the area feel much brighter and friendlier. I am not a well travelled person, mainly tourist resprts and European Cities and I had no issue with the neighbourhood at all, and felt safe at all times.

If you are reading this review you must be considering staying here, and all i would suggest is that you do! you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the South Room and it was very pretty, though the others i peeped into looked nice too...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Beautiful historic building, just a block away from shopping and restaurants on Vanderbilt. Also one block away from the Q line which takes you directly to Times Sq. I stayed in the East room, which shares a bathroom with the West room, and I was impressed by how spacious the room was (approximately 500 sq. ft.). The place was very clean, and it is located in a quiet neighborhood in the heart of Brooklyn. Will be coming back here in the future.

Room Tip: East and West rooms share a bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business