“Great brunch... fun crowd, excellent service!”

Chavella's Cafe Mexicano
Ranked #741 of 5,459 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Reviewed December 4, 2011

what a great place for brunch... this neighborhood is booming and so is this restaurant. Delicious and interesting Mexican food... great margharitas!

There are newer reviews for Chavella's Cafe Mexicano

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is probably the best mexican food I've had on the east coast. To be fair, it's the only New York Mexican I've had so maybe it's more typical than I think. But everything we had, fish taco, huitlacoche and black beans were all very good. They don't make the Negra Modelo but it always makes me happy.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

The food was spot on, service was excellent (even with our two fidgety kids) and the bill was a nice surprise at barely a hundred dollars (pre-tip). this included a couple of decent drinks as well.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

Chavella's rules! Although very cramped, it is charming, with friendly, attentive waitstaff and excellent food.

The tamale with mole and chicken is superb, the elote is delicious, although rather messy, and I was shocked to see tlacoyos (very well executed), a typical Mexico City street food on the menu at all! The nopales were tasty and tender, the rajas con papas were perfectly roasted and delicious. The refried beans and homemade salsas were great.

This is the most authentic Mexican place I have ever been to in the US. After living in Mexico for the past two years and being disappointed in all Mexican restaurants, Chavella's succeeded in satisfying my longings for delicious, authentic, Mexican cuisine.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I heard about this restaurant in am New York where its carne enchilada taco was awarded a perfect 5-star rating. I thought it was fine, similar to a taco al pastor with its grilled pork, cilantro, pineapple, and habanero salsa. However, I much preferred the chicken taco with mole poblano and rice. Will definitely re-visit when I'm in the area again. (It's a few blocks from the Brooklyn Museum and the Botanical Garden.)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook