I have yet to take a vacation on a moving train (that's to come), so this was the next best thing. Our room was the most basic of the train cars, but I liked that fact. I have always had an interest in trains and getting to see and sleep in a real car was a great experience. It was also nice to have an entire railroad car to ourselves! We got a chance to see some of the other cars and they are very nice, especially the caboose!! What also amazes me is thinking about everything that went into hauling these cars along icey roads, up the Chena Ridge and down the curvey driveway. That alone is incredible!! There is a very nice view of Fairbanks and the valley below. Using a real water car for water purposes was a nice touch as well...it kept with the railroad theme!
Since our stay was at the end of our trip, that extra room was needed for the many purchases we made. Breakfast is very filling, so no one can stay there isn't enough! (The eagle on the ceiling of the dining car just can not be missed!) For our last morning, we skipped breakfast to sleep in (since we were going to have a very long day of flights to come). We still wanted to have breakfast, but since it was already 11AM, we knew breakfast service was over for most restaurants. We asked about any restaurants that might still be serving breakfast and were told that Denny's was our only option (which we did not want to go to). So as we drove on Airport Way, we found a place that does serve breakfast all day long! I can not find information on it online, but it is called the AW Cafe (not A&W like the root beer chain). So Mike & Susan, there is now an option out there to Denny's, and they are good!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Aurora Express is a bed and breakfast nestled amongst towering spruce in the western hills of Fairbanks, Alaska. Overlooking the mighty Tanana River and the Alaska Range, this unique property has a panoramic view of the city and its surroundings. Sleep in authenic Alaska Railroad trains that have been renovated to reflect the gold rush era of the north. Join hosts Susan and Michael Wilson for Copper River smoked salmon, wild alaskan blueberry jam, fresh fruit, hot coffee and eggs every morning while you hear their stories about life in territorial Alaska and working the pipeline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Aurora Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Forget-Me-Not Lodge And The Aurora Express Hotel Fairbanks
- The Aurora Express Fairbanks, Alaska