“Fantastic place to stay!”
Review of The Aurora Express

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
The Aurora Express
Ranked #5 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed at the Aurora Express on our Alaska vacation in August. My husband is a train buff and we loved this train and the beautiful location.. We were in the "Gold Room" which was delightfully decorated. Susan & Mike are just a joy -after a marvelous breakfast, we all danced together in celebration of our wedding anniversaries. Wish we could have spent a week there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy S

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed in over 15 different locations on our trip to Alaska. We will never forget this location. It was our 49th annivsary and we wanted to visit our 49th State. We could not have found a better place to stay if we had researched for a year. And it was an accidential find as we had not even planed to return to the Fairbanks Area, since we were there last year. Owners Susan and Mike are a "stitch" to be around. The history of creating this location is unbeliveable from Mikes relentness task of transporting and installing the train and Susan's talent and creativeness and unique decorating. Each car has a theme.Their breakfast in the dinnig caris something to dream of. We stayed two nights in the Caboose. I could not reccomend a better place in the Fairbaks area. Their is something for everone, unless you are not into adventure and want a fancy 5 star place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jackbrainerd
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying for 2 nights at this unique B&B which is carved out of a real train. I always wanted to stay here but didn't get the chance earlier as they are only open from May - Sep. The rooms are similar to a cabin in a train and are clean, well decorated and immaculately maintained. Mike & Susan are very welcoming guests to say the least. Susan always prepares a hearty breakfast in the morning before one gets ready for the day. The breakfast area is also an interesting place similar to the dining lounge in a train. I had to leave early on one of the days to catch a flight and Susan made sure that I was able to have breakfast before my departure. On one of the days, all the guests (including me) turned out to be of Indian origin and then Susan offered to cook Indian curry for breakfast. This was one of the nicest & friendly gestures I have ever seen from any of my hosts. I was unable to attend breakfast during the normal hours on that day due to my early flight, but I look forward to try out some Indian food with Mike & Susan during my future Alaska trips. Thank you Susan for your warmth and hospitality. I wish my extended family was here with me; they would have loved this place wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank PrasunChoudhury
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I won't go into details about the train cars. You know from the web and other reviews that it is a unique B&B in a train, not a house. But it is more than just a novelty, although it is surely that. The setting, although a bit off the beaten track, is beautiful. The cars are located on a hillside overlooking the river and Fairbanks below. Everything is colorful and very well kept. The host gave us a tour of all the cars and related the history when we "checked in." He is obviously very proud of the place as well he should be. The story and photos of how they got the train cars from Denali to Fairbanks and down their steeply curved hill is amazing. The individually decorated sleeping cars are fanciful, but clean, comfortable and modernized. We had a surprisingly quiet night's sleep. Breakfast in the dining car was so much fun. The hostess loves to "hold court" and regale visitors with stories about the cars and past patrons. We ended a month-long vacation in Alaska at the Aurora Express (not sure what Forget-Me-Not Lodge is) and loved every minute of it. I probably took more pictures there than at any B&B where we have ever stayed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laborman1
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was truly one of a kind experience for us.

We stayed here for one night bbut wish it was longer.

The concept of calling a train cabin our room was unique and surprisingly everything inside was neat and clean. Bed was comfortable too.

The best part was the history that our hosts shared with us and of course the delicious breakfast.

Can't wait to visit again if given a chance

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank IamVagabondDotCom
Reviewed June 25, 2011

In Alaska, you never know what sort of lodging you are going to get. We were pleasantly surprised by this B&B. It was quirky, the owners were very friendly, the rooms were clean, and the breakfast was delicious! It was far enough from town that it was Alaska-like but close enough to get into town to enjoy sights and activities. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star is because the mattress was a bit too firm for my liking.

Room Tip: We booked one night, and got what was available.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank may1787
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Here's a quick bio on myself. Owned, managed & supervised rentals since 1971 and have 5 years of resort restaurant management. Presently in sales dealing with people nationwide and staying in hotels 5 to 30 days almost every month. SOOO....I feel that I'm qualified to give you all a great tip on the most unique and charming place to stay in Fairbanks.

You can stay in an original sleeper railroad car, or a honeymoon suite, or a two bedroom with a full kitchen. Each room is uniquely decorated from charming to funny. Stay a day, a week, or a month and Mike and Susan will make your stay very pleasant.

They start your day with a healthy, delicious breakfast all freshly prepared in the dining car. The dining car is open for guests to converse with each other, play games or watch TV. The only one on property....Yeah! There's also a smoking car in which you can enjoy a smoke and bring your own drinks to enjoy a little music and the other guests. The views are spectacular and the hiking trails enjoyable.

SOOO....If you enjoy going back in time to sleeper cars with shared bathrooms or the original charm of professionally decorated rooms of yesteryear with private baths, visit Mike and Susan at the Aurora Express.

Remember, nothing is new, but the scratches and dents are part of the charm of yesteryear. The place is clean and the beds and furniture say 'Welcome Home'.

I was there a week in May and plan on going back. Maybe I'll see you there.

Mary