All reviewssurrounded by treessecluded locationloop roadwooded areaindoor poolwafflesking roomnice hotelhotel is locatedhot breakfastacross the riverfront desk staffcomfortable bedsstay there againwaffle makerthe breakfast areastaff was very friendly and helpful
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Of the two Best Western in Fairbanks this is our "go to" place for relaxation. We live in a dry cabin and go here every three months or so to enjoy indoor amenities. Its location is ideal for us, tucked back in the woods next to the river. It's quiet and very relaxing, and close to one of Fairbanks' chief tourist destinations, Pioneer Park.

1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed March 15, 2014

At $60 a night, this place is excellent value. It's located in the woods yet close to major roadways and was the perfect location for visiting the Ice Art Championship.

We were in a double queen handicap room and found the room to be cramped. The bathroom was larger and had 7 handle bars (which is why we think it was a handicap room). The mirror was a little low for my husband. The room had good temperature control. The beds were soft but provided decent support. The linens were hotel standard. The TV worked well.

The wifi worked well even with a ton of kids staying at the hotel.

This was a family friendly hotel during our stay… so much so that the pool and fitness center were always full so we could not use them during our stay. There were only 4 pieces of equipment in the small fitness center.

The room was generally clean, but could use a good dusting of the coffee machine, bedroom side table, and light fixtures. The shower head did not work well and we had to fix it twice (it kept slipping down). It was also difficult to adjust for a very adjustable shower head. The water was also difficult to adjust, it was either too hot or just a little too cold. This hotel does not use the disposable shampoo/conditioner and soap bottles! :)

Most of the kids were good, but parents still let there children scream in the hotel hallways late at night and early in the morning. The loud heater noises (from the room above us I think) was really annoying at night. It was probably 50 decibels and was off and on during our stay.

Our check in experience was less than positive. There were two staff members, a man and a young women, both were typing when I approached to check in… they both scowled at me. The man dismissed me as beneath him and the women snarled "Can I help you?" after a couple moments of me trying to figure out if they were going to talk to me at all. Gosh, I just wanted to check in. She then went through the motions and same verbiage I'm sure she has said many times before in the quietest voice she could possible use and still be somewhat audible in the busy lobby. Not friendly whatsoever… in fact, they were quite unpleasant and I wanted to leave, but the hotels in Fairbanks were full that weekend. A long winter in Fairbanks I guess... We talked to the staff a couple other times and they were civil at best. At least the woman at check out was nice and normal.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Love the newly redecorated accommodations of the Best Western Plus. We enjoyed the pool, and "extras" made available. I.E. individual plug in for each vehicle. Breakfast each morning was a wonderful feast, with choices of hot waffles, eggs, sausage, toast, great fruit items, and cereals.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bonnie R
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while in Fairbanks. Exceptional value - our room was spacious and modern. We also had a room with a fireplace which was certainly nice during our cold visit. Location was nice - set back away from the street yet it was on a main road so we were able to get to our site seeing activities quickly. The only negative was that the front desk was not great at recommending activities, restaurants, directions, etc. so come with a plan.

Room Tip: Fireplace room was great!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Updated decor, clean, quiet, good free hot breakfast and very well priced. Not really within walking distance of Pioneer Park, or anywhere else for that matter. (I don't think many hotels in Fairbanks are within walking distance of restaurants or anything...the town is spread out, other than downtown, which has few lodgings.) They offered to upgrade us to a king with fireplace upon arrival. Cool! We'd stay there again. Lots of young kids and teens there. Small pool was busy.