Westmark Fairbanks Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Greentop, Mo
“Very nice”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We found the Westmark in Fairbanks to be like new, clean,easily accessible. It had a nice gift shop and 2 restaurants. Quiet, restful for a large hotel.
From the hours of 10PM to 7AM a room key card was needed to operate the elevators, an added security measure. The hotel is located near other large hotels and is in a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I must say this was the nicest hotel on our land and sea tour. This fit in the area though, it was a big city, so it had a big fancy up to date hotel. Staff was nice, I mailed a postcard home and they helped me. Gift shop had nice stuff. The restaurant had good food, I ate dinner and breakfast there, we were only there a short amount of time so we did not get to explore the area too much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2013

we stayed here on a HAL tour and it was big, clean and right across the street from a really neat little cafe - we went for a walk around and it is situated in a typical area of a big city - better not to walk about on your own - wish we could have stayed longer - the gift shop was great even had fruit for sale and that was wonderful to have for the next leg of our trip - staff and systems all worked well - there is even a vending machine that has ice cream !! - lots of computers to use too

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Galena, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as it was the starting location for our Holland America Denali Land Tour in late August. I was somewhat concerned because Trip Advisor reviews I read beforehand were all over the map, with many not all that complimentary. However, As I caution fellow travelers, it's all about "attitude." If you are expecting to find a five star hotel in the middle of Alaska that primarily functions as a starting, mid trip, or ending location for a cruise line like Holland America, you are likely going to be very disappointed. We arrived a day early, which I always recommend before beginning a cruise, and I was pleasantly surprised as we entered the hotel. My comments:
- Arriving at after 1AM in the morning, we were given room 611 in the north tower. This was good as other reviews said get the north tower if possible. Our room had been specifically mentioned in other reviews, and I felt I already knew what the room would be like. Our room overlooked the front parking lot. This was fine with us as we only slept in the room.
-Air conditioning unit worked fine and was fairly quiet.
-Bathroom and room were clean. No problems here.
-The top mattresses were terrible, as others have written, and I advised the hotel staff in the provided assessment form they really need to replace them. We ended sleeping almost on the edges of the mattresses. We were so tired we slept OK anyway, although the quality of sleep wasn't all that good.
-Elevators were all working.
-Our hallway was quiet.
-Restaurant, which has taken some hits in other reviews was fine with us. The breakfast buffet was a little pricey, but everything is in Alaska. We never had to wait and there is also a "tavern" to eat in, although it does have the same menu and prices.
-The entire staff was professional, efficient and friendly.
- We had no problem walking into downtown and back. Cabs are available. The surrounding neighborhood is not seedy as some have said. This is Alaska, not Manhatten, and not even Kansas.
- If you are not part of a Holland America tour, you probably don't want to stay here if you can select another hotel, unless you time your visit so tour participants aren't staying there at the same time.
I have stayed in hotels all over the world. I did not find this one as bad as some others have described in their reviews. I used airline points for the first night, and the cost would have been close to $200. not using points. The cost of the next two nights was included in the tour price. A little pricey, but as we all learned on our tour, everything in Alaska costs more, except gasoline, which was interesting. It was a good start for our tour.

Room Tip: Based upon my experience, go for the North tower above the 5th floor. I can't comment on the res...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kenneth S
Sammamish, WA
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel in Fairbanks as the culmination of a Holland America ‘cruise/tour’. Because one of our sons works as a pilot for the smokejumpers stationed at Fort Wainwright, we wanted to extend our stay beyond the tour’s two-day duration. I had found an online special on their website that offered a $129 rate for the first night with half off for a second night but was unable to complete the reservation online. Both Westmark's central reservations people and the desk staff at the Fairbanks hotel proved unable to explain or find a way to fix or circumvent the problem.

When we finally arrived on site on September 5, the front desk clerk Jasmine spent considerable time and effort for us. She finally identified the problem as an incorrectly specified end date for the online special offering – August 31 instead of September 15. She contacted the website management back in Seattle to explain their problem and arranged for us to stay an additional two nights at the ‘online special’ rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Northwesthiker43
Church Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Overall met our needs with great folks, super waiters, wonderful food, awesome gift shop, and nice clean rooms. By this time on the trip, I have back trouble and my body told me to chill out. My husband and Mother n Law went on the River Boat Ride, Gold Dregging and to see the sled puppies. I missed that tour but had I gone I would of not made the next stop. I was well taken care of and had one full day of rest. Was not disturbed. Hotel hallways very quiet.

Room Tip: A really nice place to stay and tour Fairbanks and take in all the sights. I hate I missed them but...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jamie T
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

One of the nicest un the Westmark hotel chain. Rooms are large and nicely furnished. On site restaurant with good food and reasonable Alaskan prices. Located on the edge of downtown there is not much close to it. Nearby restaurants are few.

• Stayed September 2013