“Disappointing service!”

Ranked #3 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Disappointing service!”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were booked to stay in the ‘A Taste of Alaska’ lodge. We were excited about the stay given the great reviews about the lodge. Unfortunately, we arrived late as we were driving in from Denali National Park. We informed the staff about the delay in advance and were told someone would be there to greet us. When we arrived to pick up the keys at the main office there was no one to welcome us. Worse, no lights were on in the main office and when we called we were asked to walk in and pick up the keys from the desk. I am sure this is a beautiful lodge and I also understand 'to view' northern lights there should be minimum light in the area. But absolutely no light or direction to the room can be frustrating especially if you do not know the layout of the area and when its raining hard. We decided to not stay here and forego our booking and checked into a hotel near the airport at Fairbanks. Fortunately, the next day we booked ourselves into the Aurora Borealis lodge where the hosts were extremely welcoming!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Pgpant
tasteak, Owner at A Taste of Alaska Lodge, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
I wish you would have called me back when you couldn't find the note. Since we are a small B&B I was in bed when you arrived at midnight-1am. If you needed any additional assistance I would have come right over to the Main Lodge. I understand that when in a new place it is easy to get disorientated especially when it is dark and raining. I hope you were still able to enjoy the rest of your trip in Alaska and if you ever return consider giving A Taste of Alaska Lodge another chance.

Best Wishes,

Kory Eberhardt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We go every year to visit my brother in Alaska, usually we go some place like Valdez or Cordova. This year we decided to stay in his hometown of Fairbanks.

When I had a look on line for a place to stay I was uninspired to say the least. We needed to book a place that had 2 bedrooms because my brother is handicapped and needs to stay in close proximity to us. Most places with connecting rooms that I found were old school hotel...you know scratchy duvets, beige walls etc...

Needless to say I was so excited when I found Taste of Alaska, online the place looked like it had real character. And in when I arrived I was not disappointed, they have a kitchy decor with everything from old school ice cream boxes and stoves to calendars from the 1950's. I LOVED it! The log house where we stayed was actually the family home back in the day. It was so cozy and comfortable and more than enough room for all three of us. We also had a full kitchen and a bbq on the front porch.

And the breakfast every morning was wonderful! It was worth getting up at 7am on my vacation so I could join in at 8am. And believe me that is exceptional. I am not a morning person. The owners are really nice and we had a wonderful time.

We will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: The whole place is lovely - you can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Quincy, IL
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I had been backpacking in Gates of the Arctic, and I had not made any reservations to stay in Fairbanks because my return date was not certain, (the weather can be very variable at Gates of the Arctic and the bush pilots cannot guarantee that they will be able to pick you up at an exact time). I had mistakenly assumed that it would be easy to find a place to stay in Fairbanks when I got back and instead found that every place that I had called was booked. I ended up using an online service via my iPhone and A Taste of Alaska was the only place that had a room. It is outside of town, and I had visions of a National Lampoon Vacation movie as I drove out into the countryside to go to the last place in town with a room. But, I was really very pleasantly surprised when I checked in. I had a fantastic room with a nice view. The service was great and so was the food. It was a much nicer place than any of the places in town that had been full, so I feel as though I was amazingly lucky. The next time I find myself in the Fairbanks area, I will stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank quincyman05
Front Royal, Virginia, USA
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Our hosts were more than gracious, they were outstanding.
My husband & I were both injured at the time we checked in. He had fallen and slashed open his hand resulting in about a dozen stitches & I (found out much later) had broken my ribs. Without even knowing how bad off we both were, Cory, the owner, let us know that the main cabin was available for us - we had originally booked the Anex.
The cabin was unbelievable, how I describe it is luxuriously rustic - the view of the skyline is magnificent. The grounds were well kept with gorgeous flowers & greenery. You enter through a large deck area complete with grill, table & chairs. Inside you find a complete kitchen, dining room & living room combination with everything you would possibly need - including a full bath on the first floor. It was extremely clean, comfortable & private. You can feel free to be yourself without any interruption from anybody unless you request it..
On the bottom floor you have your own hot tub complete with luxurious robes! There is also two well appointed bedrooms, one with two single beds the other with a queen. The cabin is decorated with a true Alaskan flair.
Breakfast is included & for us was a wonderful start of our day. It is served in the main lodge which I loved to be in - it has a huge picture window looking out to the skyline and the grounds. The breakfast itself was extremely good and the menu varied each day.
I believe this would be a perfect place to stay in the Winter also, I understand they have a dogsled team right on-property.
We are coming back in 2011 for sure!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanDigger
Chicago
Reviewed September 10, 2010

For our last 3 nights in Alaska, we wanted a place where we could get peace & quiet that would give us the best chance to see the Northern Lights. While the weather didn't cooperate for the lights, we had an amazing experience at the Taste Of Alaska. We stayed in "The Annex", which is basically a one bedroom cabin with a full kitchen, bathroom, and nice sized living room. It was clean, comfortable, and perfect for my wife and I to spread out, relax, and take in this amazing part of the world.
Both Kory & Debbie were great hosts. Kory prepared breakfast in the morning which was very substantial (plenty of hot items and fruit, pastries, cereal, etc).
Debbie would give the "American Pickers" a run for their money as she's collected some amazing pieces of Alaskan art and Americana that is displayed throughout the lodge and in The Annex.
We were comfortable and happy all 3 days we stayed at the Taste of Alaska, and would have loved to stay longer.
The lodge is a good 15 minutes from Fairbanks, which was perfect for us as we wanted to be a outside of the city.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yojosh
Mauston, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 7, 2010

A place to decompress, reflect, refresh, energize, bond with your companions and gain perspective of the things that truly matter...A Taste of Alaska Lodge is definitely a must experience item for your "Bucket List". We heartily enjoyed our 4 night stay in the lovely fully furnished Log House cabin, a brief stroll on a well worn path through flowers and trees to the main lodge. Loved the short walk each morning to arrive for breakfast at 8,(included with stay) served in the lodge's dining room with its beautiful view of the pond, meadows and on a clear day, a humbling, unobstructed glimpse of Mt Mckinley and the entire Alaskan mountain range. Wow!!! The lodgekeeper, Corey has been up early, preparing breakfast with all of the trimmings. Mmmm, pampered indeed! Conversation was relaxing like everything else about this slice of heaven. Corey and his folks, Deb and Dave, the original lodgekeepers and builders of the lodge, shared humorous stories, intermixed I suspect, with a few tall tales : ) A perfect start to an Alaskan morning. Cooper, the lodge's faithful companion, made nightly rounds to our cabin for a belly rub and a bisquit (cabin stocked with supply of bisquits!) Although the property's location feels totally secluded (ideal for viewing Northern lights and stars), it is an easy 10 minute drive to Fairbanks. A good place to serve as a base camp while taking in day trips to the area. MUCH to see and do... but you may not want to leave the comforts and serenity of A Taste of Alaska Lodge. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cathy118
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 10, 2010

If you stay here be prepared to stay a least 2 nights. The experience is wonderful and people are great. I found this place on the net and feel very lucky we were able to book a couple of nights.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple