“You pay what you got!”

Ranked #25 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
TX
“You pay what you got!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

I booked a private deluxe room at Fairbanks International Hostel from hostelbooker and I didnt realize the exact name of this 'hostel' is 7 Gables Inn.

I agree the manager looks not very nice and the rooms are not in the shape of a great B&B. But come on, do you know it cost more than $25 to get a bed in a 4 or even 12 beds dorm at those 'High rated hostel' in Fairbanks?. At least I was satisfied with what I got from this 'Hostel':
An OK private twin room + free wifi + clean private bathroom (although not in the room) + free breakfast with delicious eggs + free 24hours coffee

What you can expect more for just 60bucks in Fairbanks?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Valdez, AK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

We found out about this hotel online. I was looking for a hotel room with a jacuzzi. Only a few of the hotels had jacuzzi room and they were pretty expensive. So I called this place because most of their rooms are jacuzzi room at an average price. The only problem I had was with the owner. He was short - tempered and cared less if you stay here or not and so does his wife. They both rude to you and would have different prices for rooms. They are unwilling to help in any ocndition, if they get your credit card number to hold a room, you are pretty much stuck with it, like it or not because they charge you anyways, The Penthouse I reserved was different then what it shows online. Their availibility says something else in the website which shows it being updated but the owners have a different stories and would make up excuses for cheaper rooms. I was having problem finding the place, which is so creepy like a haunted house and he seemed like he was so bothered by me calling him for directions. I just moved to Alaska from Florida 2 weeks ago and this was my first time in Fairbanks. The owner gets really irritated by calling more than once for directions and won't tell you the exact place to go or where the office is. If you find a better room and jaccuzi room is not an essential for you, please find some other place. Super 8 is pretty decent and so is new Holiday Inn Express. The rooms were pretty clean but the service was horrible.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank appudarling4u
DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

My wife and I just traveled to Fairbanks, Alaska and used Priceline.com to bid for our room there. We got a room at a 2 star bed and breakfast “7 Gables Inn” for $39 a night. We checked the Inn’s website and found that the rooms normally go for $50 a night and all rooms included breakfast. So we got a deal, right? Wrong, when we arrived at the bed and breakfast they stated that since they accepted the bid a lower amount then normal price that breakfast would not be included. How is that possible? We bid on Priceline.c om before and had no issues with any of the amenities being forfeited due to them accepting a bid.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandrake71
7gablesinn, Manager at 7 Gables Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
While breakfast is included in the room rate, the problem these guests experienced seemed to be a matter of time preference. These guests ate their breakfast at 5 a.m daily. It is understandable that guests can experience jet lag, but these particular guests ate breakfast in the guest kitchen daily at this early hour of the morning. We try to accommodate a timeframe for serving breakfast, but most would agree that this was an exceptionally early demand to make. They were able to help themselves to the self-serve cereal that is available to guests that must leave early.

Travelers are raving about these Fairbanks hotels

Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

We were relocating from Wisconsin to Fairbanks and had called 2 weeks ahead to book a room. I gave the owner my credit card to hold the room. Upon arrival after a 7 day trip, he could not seem to find my reservation. Suddenly he found it and went to show me my "options". I told him I thought I booked a studio apartment for $400 a week. He led us to a two room suite and told us it was $800 for the week. I said no and asked about the apartment I had requested.
He told us it was at a different location and did not have a car to show us. After about a half hour he finally found a car to use to show us our room. When we got there he took us to a room and said that it was $600 for the week. I again explained to him I had reservations for a $400 a week room. Something must have clicked and he finally took us to the room and opened the door. To our surprise someone was staying in it already. He said "feel free to look around, this is what it looks like". We were so disgusted and shocked we walked right out. He then confessed that that room was booked and he had showed us our options. There were no apologies or offering to let us stay in the other rooms without paying the rate. His poor management was not what I needed after traveling 3300 miles to find out I had nowhere to live for the week. I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jillianmarie
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

All I can say is stay away—far, far away. I wished we had read tripadvisor’s reviews on 7 Gables beforehand so we could have done the same.

My husband and I live in Manhattan and have been traveling all over Alaska for the past four weeks. We have experienced nothing but the warmest northern hospitality of Alaskans until we stayed at 7 Gables. And, it is because we have so enjoyed our travels thus far that we were stunned by the treatment we received.

Our first inkling of Paul’s (the owner) grumpy nature was our first meeting. We had made two calls 15 min prior to arriving to clarify directions. On arrival, there were several buildings with unlocked doors but no clear indication of where to find his office. We ended up searching around the premises for 10min or so until we finally called him up once more and it turns out he was sitting behind a closed door that had a non-descript “after hours number” posted. He was very business-like and appeared somewhat dry and irritated, but we attributed that to possibly us arriving late (it was about 7:30p-8p) in the evening. We had first called him while driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks to inquire about his rooms, their pet-friendliness, the cost, and to confirm whether indeed there were complimentary bikes and canoes on-site and available to use, as advertised in a Milepost ad. This was essential because otherwise, we had an abundance of alternative lodging choices and we surely would have gone elsewhere.

As it turned out and in all fairness, the accommodations are comfortable and clean. We took the single bed petroom and it came with a rather, amusing, over-the-top jacuzzi/sauna/shower. The woman who prepares the breakfast and staff are friendly. The breakfast is home-cooked but reminds you of an average motel continental breakfast. As for the complimentary bikes, there are only two working bicycles of the lot of twenty or so. And, Paul will not lift a single finger to accommodate you in that respect. He was not only rude, inhospitable, and unprofessional about it but he displayed unethical business practices, devoid of reason and rationale. He really does not belong in the tourism industry.

The next morning after breakfast, (around 10:30am) my husband walked up to his 2nd story office and politely inquired about taking out two bikes. Paul replied that the two working bikes have already been taken out and they won’t be back until 1pm. He proceeded with a tirade about how people steal the bikes and that the rest of the 20 or so bikes are in “various states of disrepair.” He offered my husband, Henry, to look around for himself. My husband was flabbergasted at his response but Henry is an even-tempered man and so, started to take a look around the bikes and discovered many with varied states of deflated tires, but otherwise, possibly useful. Unfortunately, the 20+ bikes had all leaned to one side, on top of one another and seemed all locked up in one big tangle. So, Henry takes his second trip to Paul’s office to ask if the bikes could be unlocked. Paul, in a huff, runs downstairs, pulls out the only two bikes not connected to the tangle of locks, shows them to Henry, and abruptly walks away. He didn’t bother to check if those bikes he pulled out were useful nor did he attempt to assist us in any way. When we found those two bikes inoperable, we took a third trip to his office. This time when asked if he could simply spare ten minutes to come with us to look for two working bikes, he screams out, “No, I cannot.” He proceeds to repeatedly remind us that, “These are FREE bikes.” And, “Why can’t you just wait till 1pm…why do you have to have things now, now, now (as he snaps his fingers).” As you can imagine, we exchanged some escalated and heated diatribe about his false advertisement, dishonesty, and such. He then belted out something about offering for us to go into his storage room across the lawn to search for a bike pump hidden somewhere to inflate some of those bikes’ tires. Now, why he didn’t calmly share this piece of helpful information earlier on puzzles me. Further, we were baffled why he never thought to use that same bike pump he supposedly owned to maintain the bikes. Towards the end, he was barking at us about renting a car to see the town and even suggested for us to rent working bikes from him for $20. At that point, it was useless to continue. We simply walked away in disbelief and sheer disgust.

Unfortunately, we had prepaid for two nights thinking that we could explore Fairbanks by land one day and by river, the next. The thought of having to “discuss” and credit our second night was dizzying.

We are still shocked and dismayed at Paul’s behavior and handling of the situation. He clearly failed to provide the amenities he advertises. He has a short temper and got disproportionately upset, treating us as if we were thankless vagrants instead of respectful, paying customers who were just trying to enjoy a vacation.

I would never recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joeyismydog
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

Found 7 Gables after looking at many hotels and B & B's. Small, quaint, and comfortable, breakfast included. Quiet and safe.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Salem,Or
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

Absolutely filthy.Cigarette burns everywhere, Holes in carpet & blankets. Junk everywhere. Nasty. Nasty. Nasty.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple