“Do not stay here”

Ranked #25 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Mt. Carroll,IL
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

West Cottage is not fit to stay in. We checked out as soon as we looked over the building, stairs unsafe and building was a fire trap. Junk all over the yard. We were booked to stay 3 nights but the owner would only refund us two.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jozilou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rochester, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

The Inn had country charm and the room decorated nicely and comfortable. The Innkeepers did not have warmth and customer attention. Neither did our shower on either morning of our stay...first day no water..as maintenance was working on the boiler then only cold the second day. We were offered a shower in another spare room, but this inconvenience to us was not acknowledged. One reply was they would stop the morning dishes, and that would put them behind!
I did get a break on the room rate upon checkout, but only with my asking, noting it was a jacuzzi room, and we had no option to use that either.
Breakfast was hurried with scanty amounts. Community access computer was a nice amenity.

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank MargaretANurse1979

Travelers are raving about these Fairbanks hotels

asheville, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

Although the arcitechture is certainly unusual and the outside a little messy we had a fine night at this B&B. The room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was good and plentiful. the proprietors were friendly and helpful. It has a tv in the room bigger than 13" and computer access for the guests. Best of all it was very inexpensive for Alaska.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank windjay
alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

This is one of the most bizarre places I have ever stayed. It's hard to describe. Let me just say that neither of the two lamps at the bedside worked. When I looked behind the bed to see if they were plugged in, the dust and dirt made me feel ill. One of the pillowcases had a mark across the edge that looked like someone had stepped on it with a dirty shoe. The breakfast is served in a large room with the feeling of a high school cafeteria. The food was odd, including flan along with other things one day; a sloppy mixture of a fruit concoction that appeared to be an effort to make a fruit "crisp" (but failed) another day. The best comment I can make about breakfast is that they served coffee in French presses. The entryway into the building, which is on the second floor, is through a large, dusty kind of covered porch. The handrails along the stairs going to the entrance were filthy. Don't be fooled with the amenities they offer such as wireless internet and cookies in the evening. This is the worst B & B I have ever stayed in, including here in the U.S., in Europe, in the Caribbean, or Central America. My advice: skip it!

Stayed April 2008
4 Thank seas0nedtraveller52
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2008

Some of the previous reveiws touched on a few issues i was planning to address. I was driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks for business. The photos on the net of the canopy beds and furnishings looked great. I made reservations for 3/4 on 2/29. On 3/1 I decided to leave anchorage early so I called and spoke with the female owner and she indicated she had a "Double room" that accomodates 4 people for $120.(it was a galley kitchen, a small den with pull out couch and a bedroom) I arrived at 9PM on 3/1 and there was no place to park hence I temporarily parked in front of the 3 garage doors at the end of small parking lot. I went inside and there was no one there in kitchen I had to call a # to get the host to come out. She went outside to show me to my building and stated if her husband knew I parked in front of the door he would be very mad, my response was Im only here to check in however theres no place to park. She indicated for me to do the best I could. There were a group of college age kids having a party in the penthouse suite at front taking up all the spaces. My room (The double room suite on top floor) was diappointing it was basically a cheap apt when I pulled the sheets back the was a white crusty blob on the sheets) I was totally disguted but by this time it was 10 PM so I slept on the top of the covers as I was exhausted from my 7 hour drive. The furnshings were very utilitarian as a previous reveiw mentioned. There was trash and debris around yard as well as an old trailer outisde my window and in solarium as previous reveiw mentioned. The walls/floors are thin and place is noisey as mentioned in earlier review and for $120 you got to be kidding me. I went and got a room at Marriot Sprnghill Suites thats was exceptional for $109.I cant comment on the breakfast because I overslept. The reservations I had made for 3/4 online she indicated she had no record of that however I saved the confirmation e mail on my computer that was sent after booking. It didnt matter since I checked out next morning. I did mentione to her that the sheets were dirty she indicated it was probably just and old stain. Sorry this was 3 Dimensional and not a stain. The signs of shoddy carpentry are all over the building from the cracking exterior stucco, to cracked ameateurish sheetrocking thoughout and micky mouse carpentry. Keep in mind there is also a 72 Hour cancellation policy.

• Liked — Fireplace in room
  • Disliked — Poor cleanliness, Noisy Poor value I could go on and on.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Jscota
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

Stayed 5 nights at 7 Gables Inn in early Oct 2007. I'm not the type of person expecting some luxury facilities. My room was called Rainbow and everything was fine inside. WIFI in the building. Good location of the property. It was really convenient to have a community kitchen as well. Lastly, Liecha's breakfast was so great and delicious.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank HKGHola
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2007

No doubt they offer an excellent value at their large property with many bedrooms. The room had comfortable furnishings. There were freshly baked cookies in the kitchen each day. The proprietress offered directions and suggestions eagerly. They are in close proximity to the University of Alaska, Fairbanks and downtown is fairly close by. A home-cooked breakfast was on the table at the appointed times. BUT...the bathrooms come with noisy fans that one can hear through the thin walls all night long. There was an undercurrent of impatience. Dishes went into the dishwasher as soon as one's last bite entered one's mouth so we had to listen to running water and the noisy running of the dishwasher all through breakfast. Coffee was weak and flavorless and we generally felt unwelcome, which makes one yearn for the anonymity of a hotel stay rather than a B&B. Always a possibility that the B&B proprietors had enough of the long summer tourist season... given the dark mood of the house. We sighed with relief when we left....

• Liked — Conveniently located near the University of Alaska; good value
  • Disliked — Didn't feel comfortable with the property's hosts; noisy at night.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple