“7 gables inn”

7 Gables Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Large home with acceptable to nice rooms in the inn portion. Housekeeper had to be invited to make bed, clean toilet & failed to replace tissues. Breakfasts were fine. Be sure to drink filtered water or bring bottled water. Wireless internet available, but not secure. Flowers and gardens nice. Laundry facilities available. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to see the Aurora from your room in the inn, ask for room in the back of the main house...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terry Ann S

Reviewed September 3, 2012

First of all, this Is Fairbanks. Most of the businesses are run in a rustic, hap-hazard way. This place is no exception. It is on a quiet street, there is nothing quiet about the property. People coming and going at all hours. The garage door opening all day and half the night. I was unfortunate to be staying in a room next to the dinning room. The person who does the breakfasts cackles like a nervous animal throughout breakfast. I was awakened by this cackling as early as 7 am. The plumbing is terrible, no water pressure in the sink, toilet doesn't flush very well. The water came out rusty at first, but cleared. But the water stinks and tastes like rocks. Bring lots of bottled water. There are no glasses provided, no ice that I could find. There was a refrigerator in my room that hummed all night long. Lighting is poor. Can't see tv from the only comfortable chair in the room. No movie channels. The sitting/common room was scarey dark. Very uninviting. Wouldn't suggest this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Joanlederhos
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I paid $32 for an accommodation in the hostel portion of the complex. A bit expensive for a hostel and there is zero community feel, but that would all be excusable if what followed didn't occur.

I have traveled 48 of the U.S. states and 7 Canadian provinces staying in many hostels along the way and I have never complained at one, let alone written a poor review; this is my first post on tripadvisor.

I slept one night and on the second evening, the incredibly condescending and nasty owner informed me that I couldn't sit in the common room past a certain hour. I asked why no one had told me before I paid nearly $100 for three nights as I work over the internet and he told me he couldn't be bothered posting a sign and that "it's common sense". I asked if I was being disruptive and he pulled me into his office and told me his wife (the co-operator) despised the hostels and hated dealing with "hostel people". He told me it was not a matter of being disruptive, but that I paid for the hostel and it was a "different class of people". He said that my jacket looked messy and that I might "intimidate someone" by sitting on my computer in silence.

I had honestly never been personally insulted in such a manner in a hostel by an owner or guest. I have worked as manager of a hostel in southern Alaska over the summer in a work exchange and would never dream of treating someone in such a manner. When I asked why no one told me anything about this policy he said I could "take my money and get out". I did request a refund for the two nights I didn't sleep there, but he said he would give me a day and a half because I had used the internet for two hours on that day. I told him that was unacceptable and he told me I had "grand expectations" Seriously?

I'm a road tripper the past few years and have stayed in all manner of hostels and am not adverse to sleeping in my car as well, but the vibe this disrespectful and downright vicious owner puts out is over the top. Don't waste your money here for even a night unless you want to be greeted by a sterile environment where not so much as a greeting is made and an owner with an axe to grind who will essentially call you a low-class lowlife for paying the overpriced hostel rates they offer and not being one of his Bed and Breakfast guests.

Disgusting and unbelievable. Last word - I was told again upon my exit how much him and his wife loathe the hostel business. Get out of it then! Ridiculous experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank EdwardTraveler
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I reserved a room here but when I arrived, the room was not what was shown on the internet. The very annoying and obnoxious owner led me around to many different rooms trying to find one similar to the one I reserved. Each room seemed dirty and out-dated, and the comforters didn't look like they had been cleaned in a long time. The mattresses were lumpy and felt like they were 20+ years old. As we walked around, The jacuzzi tubs were so dirty, I wouldn't even want to take a shower in them....ewww! I commented about how hot and stuffy the rooms were and asked about air conditioning. The owner said the room has air, a window and fan, and he assured me it would get cooler at night. I was not satisfied with that and said I didn't want to stay there. The owner was very pushy and I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was just like talking to a used car salesman. Even though I technically did not cancel my reservation, I just refused to stay there, I was charged anyways. To make a long story short, this place is a dump and once they get your credit card number, they will take your money whether you stay or not, and whether you are satisfied or not.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Tandi F
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This has got to be the strangest place we've ever stayed! When we arrived, we found a note on the door telling us to look for our names on a room door. But since we were reluctant to just walk around randomly, we were fortunate that someone came out of the office and very graciously showed us to our room, gave us keys, and showed us where breakfast would be served the next morning. The room was small, but appeared to be clean and there was a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom which was a nice treat. The parking lot is very small and quite muddy. We had been on the road for about a week at that point and were planning to do some laundry - the laundry facilities are in a very dirty, messy room that I was somewhat reluctant to use, but did anyway. Breakfast wasn't anything special - the "gourmet" items were kind of nasty - undercooked and cold. The whole place has a strange religious overtone - stained glass window of Jesus in the breakfast room and we were staying in the "Covenant Room", but no one tried to convert us, so I guess it wasn't so bad! I'm sure we could have done better in Fairbanks, but it was only for one night!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mcarbaugh
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at Seven Gables 4 years ago and chose to stay again. The breakfasts are great with a different International menu every morning. The innkeepers are very busy but we were able to contact them when necessary and they were very friendly to us. Because we were mainly there to sleep, for the value and to support a local business, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LDB1975
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Dark, common area including breakfast room dirty, parking area muddy, inn managers not friendly but helpful if we approached. Also ran a low rent shared rooms extended stay business out of this inn.
Even though the breakfast room and kitchen were not clean and cluttered with non-cooking/baking items (looked like storage) the baked items were delicious. They were the only highlight.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank judyzachkap
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairbanks
Regency Fairbanks Hotel
Minnie Street Inn
#8 of 41 in Fairbanks
6 mi away
Fairbanks Moose Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to 7 Gables Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!