“Very weird B&B”

7 Gables Inn & Suites
Ranked #19 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This has got to be the strangest place we've ever stayed! When we arrived, we found a note on the door telling us to look for our names on a room door. But since we were reluctant to just walk around randomly, we were fortunate that someone came out of the office and very graciously showed us to our room, gave us keys, and showed us where breakfast would be served the next morning. The room was small, but appeared to be clean and there was a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom which was a nice treat. The parking lot is very small and quite muddy. We had been on the road for about a week at that point and were planning to do some laundry - the laundry facilities are in a very dirty, messy room that I was somewhat reluctant to use, but did anyway. Breakfast wasn't anything special - the "gourmet" items were kind of nasty - undercooked and cold. The whole place has a strange religious overtone - stained glass window of Jesus in the breakfast room and we were staying in the "Covenant Room", but no one tried to convert us, so I guess it wasn't so bad! I'm sure we could have done better in Fairbanks, but it was only for one night!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mcarbaugh

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at Seven Gables 4 years ago and chose to stay again. The breakfasts are great with a different International menu every morning. The innkeepers are very busy but we were able to contact them when necessary and they were very friendly to us. Because we were mainly there to sleep, for the value and to support a local business, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LDB1975
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Dark, common area including breakfast room dirty, parking area muddy, inn managers not friendly but helpful if we approached. Also ran a low rent shared rooms extended stay business out of this inn.
Even though the breakfast room and kitchen were not clean and cluttered with non-cooking/baking items (looked like storage) the baked items were delicious. They were the only highlight.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank judyzachkap
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Booked my room through my credit card. Once I got there, they had me staying at one of their other facilities. The place was a dump. I did not stay the night. Moved to the Holiday Inn. I had a difficult time finding anybody to check in or out with. There is a lot better than this place. Still waiting on some kind of refund.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank spencer516
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Its nice but the housekeeping doesn't really come and clean. They only change towels and do the bed. The worst part is that I've been finding black house spiders since I've been here. If you look them up, they're poisonous. I've seen spider webs in the walls of the bedroom and in the bathroom. The oven doesn't work that well.

Their are good things like the jacuzzi, size, cable, and, wifi. But I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Andresseagle
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I had made reservations on-line but never got an e-mail confirmation back as the web-site said I would, so I eventually called them, the very abrupt reply I got was that their reservation person was gone, so they took my reservation information over the phone. Two weeks later I had to change my reservation time. The women I spoke to said to just e-mail her the information because she wouldn't remember what was said on the phone. So I e-mailed her. I had to change the reservation time again a week later, so I e-mailed her again. When we arrived, they had no record of the e-mail and were very rude about the fact that we had arrived a day later than they thought. This is when we should have walked out. The room was very small and hot. The whole place was dark and dingy and very outdated. But the worst part was the rude condescending manner in which the owners treated the guests. It was not only us, but we witnessed them talking to other guests in the same way. At check-out we discovered that they had charged us one-nights stay at the time of the reservation and then at check-in had charged us for all the nights of our stay which means we were double charged for 1 night. Fortunately we discovered this before we left and got a refund.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Cherg048
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Upon arriving for our 2 night stay, I was a little shocked to see that in order to get to the office, you had to walk through what looked like a greenhouse that had been through WWIII. It was full of dead, overgrown brown plants that kinda creeped me out. The owner, Paul, who has about as much people skills as a NJ tolltaker, said he didn't have our reservation. We did have a copy of it, but it was on our laptop and didn't have a printout of the res. He said he could show us some rooms. The first one was the honeymoon suite, $120.00, which you had to walk through a landmine of dog poop to get to the front door, It was bigger than we needed, and we really wanted our $85.00 room that we had booked, so he showed us a room in a different building, which we said we'd take, he said this rm was 99.00. At this point I didn't want to argue with him so we took it. Before he left the room I said I smelled cigarette smoke in the room, and he assured us that no smoking was allowed. After being in the room for about 15 minutes and looking around, I noticed that the bedspread had a big tear in it and the towels were dingy grey (they were, at one time, white towels), but the clincher was when our throats were starting to close up from the smell, so I walked backto the office, through the landmine of dog poop and was met with irritation that I was bothering him. He finally gave us the key to the honeymoon suite. This room was really no cleaner than the last, and the towels in this room were even dingier than the last. Breakfast was from 7:30 to 8:30, not a minute later I was informed. Well, not very accomodating when you're running a B&B for people on Vacation!
My husband and I travel extensively and use B&B gift certificates all the time. We usually always check Tripadvisor before booking.... my bad for not doing it THIS time!
B&N, NJ