“Wonderful Experience”

and up
Arctic Circle Drive Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience Alaska’s Arctic! Northern Alaska Tour Company pioneered Arctic Circle touring on Alaska’s Dalton Highway. We invite you to experience for yourself the legendary hospitality and authentic interpretation that made our Arctic Circle Adventures famous.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Fairbanks, Alaska
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

On Saturday, July 26, 2014, my wife and I took the tour to Coldfoot and Wiseman, Alaska flying both ways. After a few rainy days Saturday morning was bright sunshine and fairly clear skies. Our pilot, Lawrence was careful and very safety oriented. After about ten minutes in the air we had to turn around and take another plane because one engine was acting up. When we got going the second time, Lawrence pointed out things of interest on the way up to the Coldfoot airport including the surrounding mountains white capped with an early snowfall. Michelle, our van driver met us at the Coldfoot airport and transported us to Wiseman telling us all about the flora and fauna of the area and details about the building and ongoing operation of the Trans Alaska Pipeline and the Dalton Highway. At Wiseman, Robert, a life long year round resident took over the job of informing us about life there, painting an oral picture that was easily imagined. He showed us examples of resident wildlife legs, hooves, fur, feathers and skulls of the animals that he had harvested to feed himself and his family. Robert explained to us about how each of these animals are physically well adapted for life above the Arctic Circle. I was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska and I was really impressed with this informative and fun adventure as were the other passengers from Texas and Virginia.

1 Thank Handyrandy63

Canmore, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beyond the Arctic circle experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

The flow from pick up at the hotel, check in, fabulous flight with pilot Matt, guides Shelby and Justin at Coldfoot, to Wiseman, was exceptional.
Jack who shared his story of living in remote Wiseman, on subsistence living, was generous of his time and superbly interesting. A truly worthwhile experience.

1 Thank PeaksofGrassi
New York City
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Day Trip to Coldfoot but a Journey to remember Lifetime !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

We took the one day tour, driving up in a great company of our tour guide and driver Michelle ....She was just excellent and had great experience handling guests and making them comfortable in the unknown terrain.

Her knowledge of the area was exceptional and we had an awesome time at Arctic Circle, It was a lot of fun driving the Dalton and then experiencing Snow capped peaks without any civilization.......

Our small personal jet from Coldfoot to Fairbanks was just amazing....

Visited May 2014
New York
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“3 day Prudhoe Bay/Arctic Ocean tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Today I returned from this excellent well run tour. This was my fourth time touring with this company and chose it due to the prior excellent tour experiences. It was my second time on this particular tour with Robert guiding. I had Patrick previously and was delighted to see him briefly in transit. :) Both of these gentlemen were wonderful guides. Robert had a wonderful manner about him, always thinking of the customer and providing superb commentary and service.

I like the southbound road transit with flying first. I did have clear flights on previous trips with this one being less than ideal. I was traveling with my nephew and thought the flight first would allow an expansive viewing that would enhance the later road transit. The security guard access to the Arctic Ocean was informative with a great "tour" around the compound and plenty of time at the ocean.

The Deadhorse Camp is "real" and my preference for my priorities. The food is very good and accommodations are very basic and clean. It's only one night. Could be an "issue" for some, with the shared bathroom. We had three sightings of muskox herds which was a highlight for me. The scenery on the Dalton Highway, Deadhorse/Coldfoot, for me is the superior scenery and drama. The significant landscape changes on this day trip are interesting. The overnight in Coldfoot have basic rooms with bathroom in room. Food was, again very good. We enjoyed a very interesting program and the exhibits at the Park Service Visitor Center. Both days we ordered bag lunches that were a good value and well prepared. The second day started with a trip to Wiseman and a great commentary by a resident. The tranist was a little less "scenic" since I had done this several times before. The rain did cause a lot of mud and it was less desirable to get out and walk more. Mosquitoes were terrible, so something to be aware of.

I had another excellent tour and again, highly recommend this company for their well trained guides and tour itineraries.

1 Thank budgetqueen
Milford, Connecticut
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Very Adventurous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We took the Arctic Ocean Adventure tour with this company. After reading previous reviews of this particular tour, I was somewhat reluctant to spend that kind of money for what could turn out to be a very uncomfortable three days. It would have been a mistake NOT to take this tour. We flew north to Deadhorse(Prudhoe Bay) to start the tour, with the ground portion to do on the return south. I chose this direction of travel because of the fact that reviewers complained of being jammed into a van for ten people for a 12 hour road trip. I felt that if that was going to be our fate, at least it would come at the end of the tour, and not the beginning. We were fortunate that our group consisted of only six people, which gave us plenty of room in the van to spread out . The flight north was full of pretty scenery, although overcast. It took a couple of hours. Plenty of info from the pilot. Deadhorse is just as advertised. Accommodations are just what you need. Food, bed, bathroom and shower.We stayed at Deahorse Camp, owned by the tour company. There was another "hotel" there, the Prudhoe Bay Hotel. Seemed closer to a real hotel. There is a dining room and someone to prepare meals for guests at Deahorse Camp.Not much to see or do in Deadhorse other than have your driver drive around pointing out things of interest about the way the pipeline gets going. Mildly interesting for me. I took this trip because it offered a way to see as much of Alaska as I could, and since I was this close to the Arctic Ocean…why not. It was worth it. Day two of the tour got us on our way to Coldfoot..the only place (truckstop) between Deadhorse and Fairbanks.Spartan accommodations but at least the shower was in the room. Truckstop buffet was not that bad. We visited the town of Wiseman on our way back to Fairbanks ..Interesting place where I learned some things about the Discovery channel and their idea of showing people what Alakska it really like. NOT. The rest of the southbound van tour was mud,dirt, dirty windows having to be cleaned every so often, more mud and more dirt. Highway (?) construction and repairs along the Dalton Hwy made the trip more interesting. The Arctic Circle Trading Post in Joy Alaska is a pit stop with with an interesting story behind it.
All in all, we were pleased that we took this tour and things turned out fine for us , rainy weather not withstanding. If you are the type of person who takes things for what they are, then I would recommend this you for you . If you are the kind of person who is upset by outhouses, boxed lunches, and no artwork on the walls of your "hotel" room, then perhaps you should pass on this. I an glad we took this tour.

Visited June 2014