“Really nice b&b, privacy issue”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Really nice b&b, privacy issue”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent four nights in the northern lights room, Kathy and her daughter were extremely friendly and helpful hosts,regarding the local area and seeing the northern lights. There are stunning views over to Denali and we were able to see Mt McKinley two days running. The b&b is run as a home and you are encouraged to make yourselves at home and chat with the other guests, breakfast is also rather good. A great stay with one footnote, the northern lights room is a mezzanine loft rather than a room with a door and is open to the rest of the house, if you like a bit of privacy or are easily disturbed from your sleep, this may not be the place for you. If not, you will love your stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My daughter and I (I am Dad) just spent 5 nights here this past week in advance of her doing a one year exchange at UAF in Fairbanks. We came from the east coast of Canada so I wanted to make sure that we were comfortable and I did alot of research on B&Bs on Tripadvisor. I selected this B&B based on that and I could not have been more pleased with the outcome.

Kathy's home is beautiful, not to mention spotless and it is located close to the city (10 minutes) but feels like a world away when you are here. Looking off the deck on a clear day you can see Mt. McKinley (I have included a picture from the deck ... blown up a little on my computer).

We stayed upstairs and loved it ... large windows with our own bathroom (toilet, jacuzzi bath and sink). I slept in the main bed and my daughter stayed in another bed in the adjoining bedroom area which was really cool and my daughter loved it. If you had smaller kids they would think this is really cool too!

At first we weren't sure how private it would be because it was an open space that overlooked the main floor, but once we were settled it was just fine and very comfortable ... you have your own privacy and space and folks on the main level can't really hear anything that goes on up there.

So beyond the home what were the highlights? First and foremost, Kathy and Stacey (Kathy's daughter) ... they are amazing people ... friendly, warm and inviting ... they truly make you feel at home and we could not have been more confortable. I was not all that used to staying in B&Bs so this was a big step for me but I am so glad that I did and Kathy and Stacey made the trip for us. Plus we met some other wonderful people who stayed their while we did and I would go the B&B route again next time for sure!

Second only to the warmth of our hosts (and it was a very close second) were the breakfasts! They were to die for! Poached eggs, asparagus & bacon, croissant french toast, amazing breakfast biscuits with eggs and sausage, the triple treat with fresh berries, fresh juices, coffee and tea. I am a foodie and spend alot of time in the kitchen myself and my opinion of this food is that it was 5 star! Stacey is off to culinary school soon too which I think she will do amazing at based on what she prepared for us.

So does my review sound glowing or almost over the top? Maybe it does but that truly reflects our experience here ... it made our Alaska trip a memory of a lifetime and I am already looking forward to returning to pick up my daughter in the spring and stay here again!

Thanks for everything Kathy and Stacey and best wishes for continued success with A Moose in the Garden! I look forward to seeing you all again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank iantraveller
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had such a great stay with Kathy. The food was fantastic and like some other raters mentioned, Kathy is completely flexible with the breakfast time. She and her daughter cooked unique breakfast items. We even got to try a homemade concoction that was wonderful. Kathy and her daughter were also accommodating with gluten free breakfasts for my husband which he found delicious as well. Kathy is a great host and we felt completely welcome in her home. The location is gorgeous and I wouldn't change anything about it. We were far enough out of the heart of Fairbanks that it was serene. In fact, we were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Mt. McKinley one evening. This B&B was affordable, clean, & delicious. Our party of 8 took up all the rooms in the B&B. My brother & his family shared the loft which even had room for the kids. My husband and I shared the lower level with my parents. We had to share a bathroom which proved challenging a couple times since my husband has celiac disease and IBS, but we made it work and had a great time. The beds were exceptionally comfortable and we had plenty of room. Kathy's great with children and we thoroughly enjoyed talking to her and her daughter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am my nine-year-old son stayed at Kathy's place for eight nights. Pros: Kathy is an excellent host. The breakfast times were very flexible and that suited us, since we traveled to Denali (Glitter Gulch) several times during our week-long stay in Fairbanks. On many occasions my son was too tired to wake up during the regular breakfast times and Kathy was very helpful in scheduling the breakfasts at later times during the day. She even taught my son new multiplication tricks! Cons: The room we had (downstairs from the dining area) had common bathroom with another similar room. We will definitely go back and, for a longer trip, we will stay at the room upstairs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Raja R
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We felt so comfortable here that it was really hard to leave. We spent lots of time talking with other guests and the owner (some in the wee hours of the night). Her home is spectacular and the breakfasts unlike any other in our trip through Alaska. Wonderful B&B!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Our loft, and the house in general, was amazing. I think the pictures will stand for themselves on this point. The one complaint that people are likely to have is that there is a relative lack of privacy. The loft is open to the main living area of the home, separated from direct view by a draped blanket. Also, the bathroom has a curtain rather than a door. However, the host encourages guests to "make yourself at home", so I used a different bathroom sometimes and it didn't feel awkward. The bed was first-rate, and the breakfast was fabulous. We definitely enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erik N
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Moose in the Garden late summer of 2011. The room was clean but I did not like having the tub in the bedroom and not in an enclosed bathroom. There is also just a blanket that closes off part of the Loft Room from the guest downstairs so it is not very private. Breakfast each morning was nice and we loved talking with the other guest in the house. At time of booking we had thought of booking one of Kathys other rooms, so glad we did not as they share a bath. I do not think we would go back to this Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011