“Cozy B&B in the heart of Fairbanks” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ah Rose Marie Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
ah Rose Marie Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Cozy B&B in the heart of Fairbanks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed at Ah Rose Marie for three days earlier this month and found it to be a wonderful place to stay. There are rooms in all nooks and crannies of this old remodeled house. The rooms are just the right size, and the beds are super comfortable! Breakfast was wonderful--delicious and plentiful. We found the host to be warm, welcoming and full of great suggestions as to how to explore Fairbanks. We will be sure to return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank 33388Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lyon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

We stayed there from 25 to 27 of july 2008, we had a great time in Fairbanks and really apppreciated this home-like Ah, Rose Marie Bed and Breakast. John is a great host and made us feel perfectly at ease in his so nice and lovely house, situated in old historical Fairbanks.
John made us wonderful breakfasts, even dinner and introduced us perfectly to Fairbanks where I'm sure eager to come back. Thanks again! I'll try to put some other pictures later.
Julien

• Liked — Lovely House, family like atmosphere
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank luke27fr
southwind homestead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

This is a really nice place to stay,My husband and I stayed here a week and It was relaxing,
The breakfast was wonderful(plenty),
and john was a great host,very friendly and helpful.
This is a great place to stay ,if you are not expecting perfect like some other reviews,It has a really good homey feeling,and the room we stayed in had its own bathroom and shower,cable t.v,internet,alarm clock, and comfort!!
We will come back here all the time,And the price is great just to top it off!

• Liked — The Homey feeling
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amb2211
Bologna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

This B&B is a real deal!
Nice and clean rooms, great breakfast (cakes, fruits, homemade jams, omelette, salmon..) very reasonable rates, located downtown, friendly owner.... couldn't ask for more!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank cickay
Mountain View, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

The Ah, Rose Marie Bed & Breakfast is a seven-room B&B in downtown Fairbanks, Alaska. I spent 3 nights there in June 2008 before and after my Hulahula River rafting vacation. My buddy and I picked the Ah, Rose Marie because it was recommended by our tour company, which isn't surprising because the place caters to a lot of people going out to or coming back from the Arctic. While the place ended up being passable, I probably would not choose to stay there again if my travels took me back to Fairbanks.

Location

The B&B is located in a mostly residential neighborhood about a $20 cab ride from the Fairbanks airport. The B&B is a convenient few blocks (a quick 5 minute walk) from the Chena River and the restaurants and other tourist attractions in downtown Fairbank's core center. Unfortunately, downtown Fairbanks is a so-so tourist destination; while it generally caters to tourists' needs, there is no grocery store (or even convenience store) in downtown, and the area outside of the core can get a little sketchy quickly.

The B&B is located on Cowles Street, a through street that gets a surprising amount of loud road noise. I stayed in the upstairs room facing Cowles Street for two nights, and the road noise was noticeable. You might try to avoid this room.

Facility/Rooms

The B&B is a 1920s Craftsman-style house with 7 rooms. The rooms are generally small/cozy, and most of the rooms have some sort of goofy layout feature. For example, at least two of the rooms (the first floor room and one of the basement rooms) are advertised as having "private" baths, but in fact the bathrooms are outside of the room and across the hall.

The rooms and bathrooms were very clean/spotless, but their decoration was kitschy. Even I noticed the lack of style. The common areas were thematically decorated. There is a nice sitting area in the side yard.

Personally, I found the B&B noisy. The proprietor warned us in advance that Room A in the basement is noisy. Room A is right under the common areas and the floor/ceiling is just wood--no insulation or other material to muffle the sound. As a result, whenever anyone walks over the room (which inevitably is well before 7 am because people are heading out to their Arctic excursion), the floor/ceiling squeaks pretty loudly. If you are a really heavy sleeper, it may not bother you; but there was no way my buddy or I could sleep through the noise, guaranteeing an early start to our day.

We were warned about the basement noise, but I found the upstairs room to be noisy as well. As I mentioned, the front room faces Cowles and gets street noise. Further, noise from the common areas travels directly up the staircase to the upstairs rooms. This is not the noisiest place I've stayed, but I got less sleep there than I'd hoped.

Some other noteworthy attributes about the facilities:

* the second floor and basement are reached via a spiral staircase, which might pose an unexpected navigation problem for some folks.
* the first floor room is advertised as having a private bath. Not only is it across the hall, but the proprietor encourages other guests and outsiders to use this bathroom, so it's not very private.
* the B&B has wireless Internet access. Ask the proprietor for the password.
* there is a house cat, a short-haired Siamese named Tyla. Personally, I like friendly B&B house pets, but it's potentially problematic if you're allergic to cats.
* the proprietor graciously offers to provide free storage for your luggage while you're on a tour. Note, however, that the storage area isn't secure (it's just in an open area at the bottom of the staircase). I felt a little uncomfortable leaving my iPod and cash there. If you're going to take advantage of the storage option, you may want to minimize the number of valuables you store there.

Breakfast/Food

Breakfast included a home-cooked omelet, some baked good (typically store-bought), a choice of cereals, toast, fresh and dried fruit and juice/coffee. Unlike some B&Bs, there were no quantity limits. I thought the breakfast was generous and satisfying. Throughout the day, the proprietor also makes available some sweets, fresh fruit, and lemonade/iced tea.

Proprietor

The proprietor infuses the house with a strong sense of his family. There are reminders throughout the house of his mother, the eponymous Rose Marie, and there's a small corner dedicated to his deceased wife and daughter who were killed in a tragic car accident in the 1970s. Superficially, this emphasis on family (among other things) gave the place a homey feel.

At the same time, the hominess is undercut by the proprietor's enigmatic mix of gregariousness and standoffishness (perhaps apropos descriptions of Alaska generally). At times he went extra lengths to please his guests; but at other times, I thought he was rude and condescending (both to me and other guests), easily annoyed (watch him get wound up if someone parks in the wrong place) and only grudgingly helpful. This volatility/drama was off-putting enough that, while I was away on my tour, I slightly dreaded returning to the B&B for my last reserved night.

Also, the proprietor lost a lot of credibility with me when I asked him about restaurants and he recommended a Thai restaurant (Bahn Thai) that he claimed was the best Thai restaurant in the world. Those are fighting words! Of course I had to try it. The food was competent, better-than-expected for being in the middle of Alaska, and good enough to go a second time. But c'mon, best in the world? The restaurant is no Cha'am or even Amarin, and it was ridiculous to insinuate otherwise. Given this puffery, I would rely on his recommendations cautiously.

Conclusion

It's inevitable that any hotel charging less than $100/night in Fairbanks during summer has at least one major defect with it. You usually get what you pay for, so you roll the dice and take your chances. In my case, if I needed budget accommodations in Fairbanks again, I'd probably roll the dice on some other place than try this one again.

• Liked — Price, breakfast
  • Disliked — Noise, proprietor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank ericgoldman
Hampton, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

Quaint home converted to a B & B. Location is excellent as it is withing walking distance of restaurants and tourist attractions. It is even convenient to the Fairbanks Visitor Center. The owner is John Davis. He cooks wonderful omelets, providing a wide selection of jellies, preserves, sweet rolls and fresh fruit for breakfast. His suggestions for places to see was most helpful and added immeasurably to our visit to Fairbanks and Alaska itself.

• Liked — Location and friendlyness
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roger3566
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

This is a classic B&B, with a very friendly, if not slightly eccentric, proprietor, and decent breakfast. It's a bit flowery for me, but if you're looking for something other than a boring, nondescript room in Fairbanks (and there are plenty of these -- I checked), this is the place to go.

John, the proprietor, is very knowledgeable about Alaska. He's been there for something like 18 years(I could be wrong). He's friendly and more than willing to accommodate his guests.

Two caveats though:

1) The three bedrooms come in three sizes: Small, smaller, and absolutely tiny. The tiny room is large enough only for a single person with carry-on luggage. Seriously, the bed takes up nearly 100% of the room, and it can be frustrating to simply turn yourself around when standing up. The other rooms are an OK size, but because they are located in the former attic of the house, ceiling angles are weird so it's not possible to utilize the entire room without bumping your head.

2) The spiral staircase to the upstairs bedrooms in the house is REALLY tight. If you have large luggage, count on wrestling hard to make it up the steps. When I mentioned something about this to John, his reply was "you shouldn't have traveled with such a large suitcase." I thought this was odd. My luggage was large because it was full of arctic clothing for my trip north of the Brooks Range (-45F degrees in February 2008).

I would recommend this B&B, but beware of the caveats.

Stayed February 2008