“Top Notch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dale and Jo View Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Dale and Jo View Suites
Ranked #8 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Top Notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at Dale and Jo's on the evening of July 2nd after coming into Fairbanks on a late flight. It was all we had hoped for in that it was spotless, welcoming, very comfortable and very near the airport. We enjoyed the soaking tub, refreshments in the evening and a delicious breakfast. Jo even prepared a little goodie bag of cookies for our 16 year son to munch on during our short drive into Denali. I would definitely stay again and recommend highly to anyone needing a good night's rest during your Alaska adventure. The price is less than they are asking for generic, stale room at the local Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fullerton, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here June of 2013 and had the most wonderful time. Dale and Jo are great host and we had a lot of fun talking with them and sharing life stories with them. They are both gracious and giving host.
The room was spotless, the breakfast was to die for and the quiet/peaceful surroundings were just what we needed at the end of our Alaska trip.
This B&B should be on everyone's bucket list. We will be back this coming winter for sure. It will be the perfect place to see the Northern Lights.

• Stayed June 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Everything was wonderful about our stay. We came from EarthSong Lodge near Denali (great and rustic) to Fairbanks. The two bedroom apartment was just the luxury we needed! It has everything (including a great washer and dryer). Jo made our breakfasts, which were delicious. She also gave us great tips for where to eat and what to see. We stayed two nights and then went on our way to Glennallen! Even though we visited during a heat wave, there were fans in all the rooms. There were four of us (parents with two adult daughters); there was plenty of room. The two bathrooms were wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MathGeek_123
Discovery Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Six members of our family gathered at the Dale & Jo View Suites in Fairbanks, Alaska, for 3 days in June 2013. We found the accommodations to be excellent, well-equipped, super-clean, and comfortable -- even with hot temperatures. We did our own cooking, played table games, and explored the Fairbanks area. Mainly we were just glad to get together after traveling from California, Arizona and Germany. Jo was a terrific hostess and gave us plenty of information and yet let us "do our own thing."

Room Tip: We had the lower floor with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room (with sleeper sofa), kitchen and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelers16
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Dale and Jo View Suites. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We requested a reservation for 3 nights in the Palm room but the room was only available for 2 nights. Jo suggested that we stay our first night in the Jacquard Room and our bags would be transferred to the Palm Room once it was cleaned. This worked out well for us. The common kitchen area was very nice with a spectacular view of the Alaska Range....and Denali! My husband and I purchased some fresh salmon and salad for dinner and enjoyed a leisurely meal while looking at the mountains.

We enjoyed socializing with the other guests and had lively discussions each morning while eating a beautifully presented and delicious breakfast. I can't wait for Jo's cookbook!

The beds were comfortable, the rooms were extremely clean and I found Dale and Jo to be gracious hosts. We would certainly stay with them again should we return to Fairbanks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth S
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights beginning our first trip to Fairbanks. The weather was perfect, and spring literally sprung the second day we were there (we left town in the morning to bare trees, and came back to a sea of green). Dale and Jo's was a wonderful way to start our trip. We were the only guests for the first couple of days (we came just before the season really started), and really felt like valued houseguests. Jo went out of her way to make sure we had everything we wanted or needed, including answering her cell phone when we called, lost, trying to find a restaurant she had recommended. The breakfasts were amazing and creative. We've been to many places where "breakfast included" means a banana, instant coffee, and a muffin... not here-- we even had excellent vegetarian versions for my partner. I had a little trouble sleeping the first night or two-- the sun didn't set until almost midnight, and I need a really dark room, but I got used to it and started to enjoy the extra daytime for activities. Sadly, no aurora viewing this time of year (see previous comment on lack of nighttime), but we're hoping to come back--I'll bet the evening views from Dale and Jo's will be even more spectacular than the daytime views. Thanks for a wonderful time!!! - Mike & Jeremy

Room Tip: We got to see a few of the rooms--they all looked wonderful. Note that the Flower King room does ha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gemmin21
trav2006, Owner at Dale and Jo View Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I certainly enjoyed getting to know you and look forward to both of you coming back for some aurora viewing. I also notice the breakfast table did not stop laughing and chatting when you were here with us.
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Unfortunately Trip advisor does not have a section in its rating section for “Warmth and Friendliness”; otherwise this establishment would be receiving an awful lot of “Terrible” ratings.

As someone else has written about the aspect of genuine friendliness and being treated like children, I can only agree with them 100%.

Although we never suffered the “post it notes” on tables etc.; we were left under no illusion that this place was very cold in regards to the guest’s requirements.

To start with, I have nothing to complain about with the accommodation. We had the bottom two bedrooms, as there were two couples. The rooms were of a class you could only find in a top line hotel. However we did find them a touch warm, so we opened the windows, problem solved. There was a common kitchen area and it was nice, but no better than any modern home, it even had four coffee makers, don't ask me why.

The location, although outside of Fairbanks, about 20 minutes or so, was no problem, because Fairbanks City is an absolute "dive" and I feel sorry for anyone who finds accommodation in this area.
Just forget the CBD, because there are some great shopping areas and eating establishments outside of this tired, run-down CBD area.
There are plenty of things to see and do without venturing into the CBD itself.

The problem with this particular B & B is the lady who runs it. Sorry Jo, but that is the fact.
Jo is like an old school headmistress and treats the guests accordingly.
I am 61 years old and still working in a highly professional field; I don't need to be addressed as if I were a ten year old.
She made the four of us feel very uneasy/uncomfortable and when my wife didn't eat her very sweet breakfast and some savory sausage, I thought Jo was going to go into shock on one particular morning.

There was absolutely NO choice of food at the breakfast table. You either ate what Jo served up, or you went hungry. The food presented was not to our liking and although it obviously satisfies a lot of other people, (just look at the reviews), it didn't go down well with us. A choice of cereals and some toast would have sufficed, what ever happened to the good old Bacon & Eggs etc.?
My wife and I have stayed at many B & B's throughout Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada and another B & B in Alaska.
ALL of these B&B’s, beat this place with the their breakfast selections.
Oh sorry, there was NO selection offered to us at this B & B.
Jo goes to great pains in presenting an "A la carte breakfast" BUT not all people like that style of breakfast. Some people like it kept simple and I for one don't like a heavy breakfast loaded with sweetness.
Jo should show some courtesy by offering alternatives, instead of trying to impress upon others, her culinary skills.
The lists of DO's and DONT's were overpowering and the question time during breakfast was really getting under my skin.
As an example, “And what did you do yesterday little Johnny?” – True.
Jo meant well, but we are not children!

Also Jo has an obvious phobia concerning Mosquitos, she warned us about the flying hoards and even reprimanded us about leaving doors open. The mosquitos were NOT a problem, even though Jo got around the yard in a complete mosquito proof net. We couldn’t believe our eyes.
She needs to visit some other counties before she comments on the problems posed or associated with Mosquitos. She has absolutely NO idea. Mosquitos kill people in our country with a number of different diseases, I haven’t heard of such a problem in Alaska, but I must admit, I haven’t checked.

I know Jo will respond to this, so I’ll say this here and now.
One of our group, became very sick with food poisoning and was bed ridden for one day (not Jo's fault). Jo showed concern and provided an electrolyte replacement to help the sufferer. It was a nice touch.

When we informed Jo that we had to leave early on our last morning, and would not be present for the morning breakfast, Jo kindly prepared some breakfast for us, even though it consisted of boiled eggs. A really nice thought, but not a practical one. Jo maintains that the body needs protein to start the day; I beg to differ on the matter.
Jo may have her heart in it, but it doesn’t come across in the “wash up” I’m afraid.

You know when you come across someone in your travels, and you say to yourself, “this person is in the wrong profession”, well this is a classic example.
I have a knack of evaluating people very quickly and my instincts were spot on once again.

To sum it up, if you want top class accommodation, look no further, this a great place.
The breakfast will suit a lot of people, but not all, so beware and take with you, what you normally eat at home, that is, unless you can convince Jo to accommodate your needs.
Jo is forthcoming with plenty of helpful information on the local area and it helped us a great deal.
If you want to feel really welcome and not a school child, FORGET IT.
I can list many B & B's that will beat this place hands down for friendliness and warmth, let alone the selection of available food for breakfast.
Jo and Dale are obviously well off, as the establishment oozes class, but Jo appears to judge people on appearance and therefore categorizes them.
A bad mistake in the B & B trade if you ask me, "don't judge a book by its cover Jo!” you badly misread us.
As I said at the beginning of this review, If Trip Advisor had a "warmth and friendliness" rating, this place would score very badly in my book, but that’s just my opinion mind you, and perhaps I am being a bit critical, but I can only compare it with the many, fine establishments we have stayed at around the world, and this place just doesn't rate, especially in the "warmth and friendliness" department.
It’s such a pity, a fine B&B run by someone more attuned to the “old school” classroom.

Warmth and Friendliness = 0.

Room Tip: Make sure for your food requirements before booking. If you are seeking a close and personal touch...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank silverbarra
I am glad this guest liked their 2 bedroom suite and found my Fairbanks tips helpful to them. Because they arrived early, I was able to answer their questions directly. Many of my guests arrive late at night and I don’t see them until breakfast in the morning. I always ask new guests at breakfast if they have any questions about Fairbanks or their accommodations. I apologize that this was tedious for this guest. There were 3 of the 4 guests at the table. I was concerned about the missing guest being very ill. I hope he recovered as they traveled and that the soup and electrolyte drink helped. Concerning breakfast, we know that sometimes a guest might not like what we are serving. If they let me know, I will always offer them something else. She ate about half her breakfast. When asked she let me know she didn’t like anything sweet in the morning. I do understand. I did ask if I could bring her something else. Of the 15 breakfasts presented on our menu, only two are sweet. I wish I had had the opportunity of bringing her something she would have enjoyed. The other plates around the table were clean. A guest can pre-order a custom breakfast such as a special diet or preferences they want us to address. I do want every guest to enjoy their breakfast. We post our menu with pictures on our website to help guest decide if our breakfast will make them happy. I also apologize for making this guest feel I was treating him like a child by giving him a heads up on the mosquitos. Many guests who have just arrived in Alaska do not know this is one of our worse years for mosquitoes. We do love having Australian guests visit us. We wish this guest party the best in future travels.