“Drove ourselves here to see the Aurora”
Review of Chandalar Ranch

Chandalar Ranch
Reviewed January 21, 2018

We were staying nearby and had just arrived that afternoon so we contacted Chandalar Ranch last minute to see if we could watch the Aurora from there. It was $30 per person for driving yourself and super easy to get to with an AWD rental vehicle. It was nice to have an upstairs and downstairs warm area to go to. It was really cold outside. It wasn't crowded when we were there on a Thursday night. We had the entire downstairs mostly to ourselves. The Aurora came out and we were able to get some shots. I didn't like the red light across the way on the mountainside in my pictures, but I was learning what to do with my camera, so I probably could have avoided that. Someone said there was a person there who could help with my camera and I should have reached out to them, but I was seeing the Aurora for the first time, so it was all good. The people were friendly, warm drinks, nice indoor bathrooms, but mostly, I appreciated a warm place to get out of the bitter cold once and awhile.

Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

The owner is the most unfriendly host I ever met in my life. By looking at the polarized score on Google Map, you will understand how worst this place is. There are too many places to see aurora but NEVER go there.

1  Thank Xiaomeng H
Reviewed December 25, 2017 via mobile

Threatened to be “careful” on his private property even before I could say anything. I was hoping for a good experience based on the review but that was not what I expected. $30 is way over priced for a seat and the host is very aggressive and unfriendly. Definitely NOT RECOMMEND.

1  Thank Yun Z
Reviewed April 1, 2017

Nice location to look for auroras away from the Fairbanks city lights. However, the place gets overcrowded - over 100 visitors and a few guides, hard to tell which noisier than the other, and nobody in control.

For a more quiet, intimate experience we recommend the Aurora Borealis Lodge.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 6, 2017

Chandalar Ranch is ideally located for viewing the Northern Lights. Guests are promptly collected at their downtown Fairbanks hotel and transported by van about 40 minutes drive from the city. The large lodge with north-facing windows is warm and comfortable. Complimentary hot beverages and cookies are plentiful. Maggie was most friendly, welcoming and efficient. She also kept a watchful eye on the crowd: that is, reminding camera buffs to not uses flashes and flashlights. The tour price is good value, considering what some other companies charge for the same type of tour. I really enjoyed my experience at Chandalar Ranch and would consider staying overnight the next time. Because this tour is so popular with foreign guests however, be prepared for a very large and sometimes boisterous crowd, clicking away non-stop on their various cameras. If possible, try to find a date when the bus tours are not booked there at the same time.

1  Thank lorrainet480