“Spring Aurora”
Review of Chandalar Ranch

Chandalar Ranch
Reviewed April 22, 2016

Our 5 day trip to Fairbanks in search of the Aurora allowed us one night at the Chandalar Ranch. We were picked up at our hotel and driven 20 miles out of town to our viewing site. The building appears to be a home that the back area has been arranged to provide for guests to come and see the lights. The bottom floor has restrooms, showers and even some guest rooms for those who want to stay overnight. The upper floor houses a large meeting room with couches around the perimeter and seating in rows if they have a larger turnout. At the end of the room is a large screen TV where videos about the Aurora and Alaska can be viewed. A second story covered deck/porch leads to an open deck that gives unobstructed view of the sky. It is also possible to take your tripod out into the backyard on the ground floor if you prefer. There are coffee, tea, cocoa and snacks provided in the meeting room.

Our success was mixed as the clouds played hide and seek with the stars most of the evening, but we did get some basic green Aurora and a few decent photos. Overall positive experience was had and would recommend it. Hope you have a bit more luck with the Aurora.

Reviewed March 22, 2016 via mobile

We went dog sledding, target shooting and snowmachine there. The experience was great. Maggie and her husband were super nice and helpful. Worth visiting!
You can also choose to stay a couple nights there. I've been told that it is a great place for viewing aurora.

Reviewed February 20, 2016

It's a really nice small wooden house hotel and a absolutely good place to see Aurora at night. Although rooms are small and you have to cook by your own in the kitchen, so be sure to prepare and buy enough food from supermarket as the hotel offers refreige to put in. The hotel can also help you to arrange some fun activities. Dog sled really nice, Meggie helped us to find Richy, we had a wonderful Dog sled tour with him.

Reviewed February 9, 2016

We were driven here to view the Aurora and thoroughly enjoyed the evening and morning. They had hot teas, hot chocolate, hot coffee and Oreos for our enjoyment in between going out to the large viewing deck and coming in to get warm. They showed educational videos during the evening leading up to the emergence of the Aurora. Highly recommend this location to view the Aurora.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 23, 2015

I came here in hopes to view the northern lights. While I waited there was an indoor viewing room with windows to check for aurora activity and a movie screen with pictures of the aurora taken from the owner, a documentary on the aurora and then a native movie. The owner helped hopeful viewers with camera settings that way we could captures the beauty of the lights. I was fortunate to have a night with clear skies and the ranch provided incredible views! I was able to take ample pictures and go back inside when I needed to warm up. There were snacks and drinks inside if you needed a little pick me up during the waiting. At the end of the night I got a certificate that I saw that lights at the ranch. It was a really great experience!

3  Thank AmandaMastro