“Hidden Gem of Fairbanks”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I stayed here in August on Business. I was very surprised how nice the Lodge was. It is set on the Chena River and I stayed in the Deluxe King Riverveiw room. The room was rustic but updated and very clean. It had a nice river view and was very afforadable. The deck on the river at the restaurant was wonderful, it was warm in the 80's during the summer althought they were having wildfire's it was still so nice. I have booked a Feb
3 day busines/vacation and will be bringing my spouse. We are trying the Deluxe Fireplace King Riverview and hope to see the Northern Lights and start of the Intl. Ice Sculpturing Contest. The food at the Restaurant is good not great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 26, 2009

After reading the last review I felt I had to put my 2 cents in. We stayed a week at the Pikes and LOVED it. We could not have been happier with the service and everything else they offer. The staff was A+, the room was clean and the location was great. We had the balcaony room on the firrst floor overlookking the river and it was as promised. I just dont know how anyone could complain about the location or anything else about the Pikes. WE requested the reverfront view and everything was perfect. The restaurant at Pikes Landing was so very nice. WE will be back to Fairbanks and you can bet we will stay at Pikes Again. Thanks again for a wonderful stay and you should be very proud of your staff and services you provide. Thje final week of our 3 week vacation was perfect. And to top it all off we were able to see the Northern Lights right from the balcony of our room. What a perfect ending to our aAlaska Vacation.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Quite possibly the worst place I've ever stayed in. The room is located on the first floor directly by where the tour busses stop, unload passengers and luggage while engines were idleing. YUK. So much for fresh air. Extremely artificial and unfriendly. Hope you like paper cups and hope the person in the restaurant likes you. If she does, tea and coffee is free, if not, it's a dollar. Oh, I also hope you like powdered milk. No courtesy tea/coffee. While there was a coffee pot in the room, no cream and nothing to heat water for tea. Since this trip was booked last May, I at least expected one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking the river. Some of the people at the reception desk treated us as an annoyance rather than paying guest. Many other people on our tour felt the same way. Will not stay there. Also, the location was poor. Shuttle required if you want to leave the hotel so felt like a hostage in a bad place.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank sandersNewJersey
rugosarose, Manager at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2009

This guest's complaints seem to stem from room location, hotel location, coffee/tea supply, creamer, and our front desk. We couldn't find the "Sanders" name in registration in August with a first floor room so I can't address location. It is true that we have buses drop off tour groups several days a week but they don't stay any longer than necessary. We think that we are friendly and natural as we are (mostly) Alaskans. The coffee and tea in the restaurant is served in mugs and is included with breakfast and $1.00 without a breakfast purchase. We offer fresh 2% milk and (cholesterol and lactose free) coffee mate coffee creamer in a liquid form (small cup package). We also have a coffee pot with coffee and tea in the room. As a tea drinker, I agree with the guest that it is difficult to make good tea with a coffee pot that has had coffee made in it. I have not been in a hotel that caters to tea drinkers and has separate pots. However, the guest could have heated water in the microwave. That is what I do. All of our rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. I think that our front desk people are nice and have lots of coffee supplies if the guest had asked. On room location, most of the tour companies require that groups have rooms together so some people do not get Chena River balcony rooms. The Shuttle is $5 round trip( a bargain.) You can also walk down a quite street about .75 mile to a shopping center or 150 feet to Pike's Landing or go to the hydroponics exhibit or so on. I wish that we could have made this guest happier and I am sorry that he/she did not not have a better experience with us. Deborah

Reviewed August 5, 2009

This hotel worked well for us as we were only in Fairbanks overnight and the hotel provided transportation from the train station and then to the airport, which is very close by. The rooms were quite small and a bit stuffy but everything was clean. The shuttle service worked well, esp to the airport in the am. The staff were reasonably friendly but did not extend themselves.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Pike's is a good place to stay. And I could take my dogs with.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grayling
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Booked two months in advance only to find out when checking in that I would be staying at another hotel down the road. I travel to Fairbanks every month and now stay at the Springhill Suites or the new Hampton Inn. Pike's IS a tourist trap and looks like a tourist trap with no customer service at all.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank PacificRimTraveler

Hello-
We tried to find your reservation but were unable to do so. Thus, we couldn't find what happened when your reservation was not honored. We occasionally move people if we have a situation where we are full and we have people staying over unexpectedly due to illness or accident. This only happened a few times this summer; we don't believe it happened to you. We searched by booking date and name. We don't feel that Pike's is as you represented it and do believe we offer excellent customer service. Our front desk has a lot of experience and our front desk manager has been with us for 10 years in different capacities. If you have a specific complaint, we would appreciate it your sending it to me (Deborah) at info@pikeslodge.com and I will do my best to fix it.

Reviewed July 15, 2009

On June 22, 2009, my Mother and I arrived at the Fairbanks airport at 9:00pm. On arriving at Pike's Waterfront Lodge and entering our room, we realized our tour operator had assumed we were husband and wife not mother and son. In the middle of the room was one bed, not two. At the desk we were informed that Pike's was booked full for the night, but that they were able to switch a few reservations and accomodate us. The desk personnel were as friendly and professional as can be, especially in a Lobby buzzing with people. They introduced us to the warmth and friendliness of Alaska. Beyond the service, the hotel is very comfortable and clean. The lobby's decor and and the artwork throughout the hotel represent Alaska at it's best. Pike's is also working to reduce it's carbon footprint by use of solar energy, hydroponics, recycling and water conservation. If I am ever in Fairbanks again, I will be staying at Pike's.

• Stayed: June 2009